Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Water Ice

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if water ice is gluten-free? I love it and with the warm weather coming I was wondering if I can eat it or not. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Ads by Google:

Hhmm, my question, too. Water is gluten-free, so ice made from it would, logically, be gluten-free. Unless "water ice" is a new product somewhere?

what is water ice?

Water ice is sort of like really fine-grained sorbet, a frozen dessert/snack that is fat free and not dairy-based. My guess is that "natural flavors" would be the questionable ingredient.

Don't feel bad for not knowing; I remember a few years ago, before it became a big thing, my husband and I saw a little place called "Rita's Water Ice" and just about died laughing! Now, we understand.

Wow, I guess I just assumed everyone knew what water ice was. :unsure: I have to say that I am surprised at the replies. I am from the Philadelphia area and water ice is a known thing around here. Just as popular as our soft pretzels or cheesesteaks. :D Anyway, it is like Italian Ice, flavored shaved ice. Does anyone know what Italian Ice is?

I know what Italian Ice is!!!!!!!!!!!!! (saying as I am waving my arms!!!) hehehe :lol:

Good, so glad we are on the same page now. :) So, do you know if its gluten-free?

I have not checked into it and do not know of any brands off the top of my head. If I find out I will let you know! :)

:D Rita's Ices are GLUTEN-FREE except for the cookies 'n' cream. :D

PhillySwirl Italian Ice (cups and Stix) are gluten-free and dairy-free. Is that the same as "water ice"? Me and my kids were pretty amused by it. We're from California and it is Hawaiian Shaved Ice out here. We just make our own with a machine, but it doesn't quite come out smooth enough. I plan on getting the PhillySwirl when Costco starts selling it again in the summer. They only carry it seasonally. :(

http://www.phillyswirl.com/products/cups.cfm

God bless,

Mariann