This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jury Duty With Gluten Intolerance

Chattyaholic

Chattyaholic Rookie

Has anyone here with either Celiac's or gluten intolerance had to serve on a jury? I am gluten intolerant and am able to do pretty well in avoiding gluten, and the problems that go along with it. But occasionally I will eat something that causes me to "spend time in the bathroom" and I just wonder what happens if someone has those issues while serving on a jury. My husband received a jury notice today and it made me think, what would I do if I received one? What happens if you're in the court room and "need to go now?" Do you get a "free pass" to use the restroom any time you need to? If I have to go I wouldn't be able to wait for a scheduled break. I just wondered how others handle this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I packed my lunch and all that was required was to run it through the x-ray machine when I first went in. I wasn't sure if I would be chosen so everyday I took enough food for lunch, dinner and a few snacks. I did end up on the second day I reported getting selected for the jury. The case was pretty short and we were dismissed before 3:00. I didn't have to report any more after that.

kareng Grand Master

If you are currently having issues when you show up at the court, you need to tell the clerk to tell the the judge about your bathroom needs. They will probaly send you home.

mommida Enthusiast

I served on a jury and brought my own food. One lady had a bladder problem and it was brought up needing bathroom breaks. I packed enough food to be there all day. I was there for at least 4 full days. Put on a jury by lunch. The judge was great about breaks, so it was not an issue. Every judge and case is different, so do speak up if you think it might be a problem.

sa1937 Community Regular

I was called for jury duty early after my celiac diagnosis and there was no way I felt I could serve as I had so many bathroom issues...I think the only way would have been for me to not eat at all. The first jury trial was a murder case and lasted an entire week and it was late Fri. evening before the jury finished deliberations.

Since I had so many issues, my doctor wrote a note and I was excused. I breathed a sigh of relief as I was really freaking out about it.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I was interviewed by the judge and attorney individually when selected for the trial that I served on last year. It was before GI issues became really urgent and was diagnosed, so I didn't bring it up. I suspect you could bring it up then.

Chattyaholic Rookie

I was called for jury duty early after my celiac diagnosis and there was no way I felt I could serve as I had so many bathroom issues...I think the only way would have been for me to not eat at all. The first jury trial was a murder case and lasted an entire week and it was late Fri. evening before the jury finished deliberations.

Since I had so many issues, my doctor wrote a note and I was excused. I breathed a sigh of relief as I was really freaking out about it.

I think I would speak to my doctor too, if I were ever called for jury duty. Most of my bathroom issues occur in the morning, and many times even when I haven't eaten anything with gluten lately I still have issues and I think it's nerves. I do tend to get nervous if I'm in a situation where no bathroom is available if I need it and I don't think that helps. I'm afraid I would be sitting on the jury and worrying about needing to use a bathroom, and not paying attention to what I'm supposed to be paying attention to. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I think I would speak to my doctor too, if I were ever called for jury duty. Most of my bathroom issues occur in the morning, and many times even when I haven't eaten anything with gluten lately I still have issues and I think it's nerves. I do tend to get nervous if I'm in a situation where no bathroom is available if I need it and I don't think that helps. I'm afraid I would be sitting on the jury and worrying about needing to use a bathroom, and not paying attention to what I'm supposed to be paying attention to. :(

I can totally relate. I would not have been an effective juror, which would not have been fair to either the prosecution or defense.

cO-ol Explorer

Yes, just this week!

I got picked to be on the jury (civil trial), and on the fourth day during testimony I had to pee reaaallly bad, and we were able to stop proceedings to take a bathroom break (turns out I wasn't the only one who needed it, either!). The jury room had two bathrooms. They had no refrigeration or microwaves so I brought stuff like tuna + gluten-free crackers, carrots and peanut butter, some acceptable-at-room-temperature fruit, enough for a whole day to eat.

Archived