20 replies to this topic

#1 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

Not sure what forum this belongs in???....just sharing a funny gluten-related "panic" moment.

We give our cat gluten-free food called BG-- Before Grains. It is supposed to be better for her, not necessarily so I can eat it with her :lol:

But, I had some treats in the pantry that were our former cat's (she died in Aug. and Bella came to us right after that) and so, I took one out to give it to her...and she turned her nose up at it.

Now, seriously...cats lick their own hoo-haas and eat dead mice and she won't eat this special fish flavored treat?? OY! finicky indeed! <_<

So,I put it back in the container and immediately started sneezing and my throat gets "burny" :blink: (I do not need my mouth and throat to be MORE burny as this is one of the many awful symptoms I live with)

Oh, no---instant light bulb moment! I read the label, first ingredient? wheat gluten!!!!!....now, some folks say there is no such thing as "air borne" gluten --but I have gotten this same reaction with hair spray that had hydrolyzed wheat protein in it. One good inhale by mistake and instant ditzy head and a burny, closed throat.

Hubs yells at me "Go wash your hands and your face and blow your nose right now!! Don't touch anything" !!!

I felt like those people who open mysterious packages and white powder falls out.

Crisis averted, but it was pretty funny. Treats are in the trash (so much for our bragging we have a totally gluten-free house :blink: )

okay, maybe NOW it is..... B)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

I have 4 cats and we give them treats. I never thought to look to see what was in them! I wash my hands but I am wondering now, because of your post, if this is the reason I get nauseous sometimes. I haven't been about to figure it out!!

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:41 AM

I have 4 cats and we give them treats. I never thought to look to see what was in them! I wash my hands but I am wondering now, because of your post, if this is the reason I get nauseous sometimes. I haven't been about to figure it out!!

I was surprised. We did know gluten is in dog and cat food, but silly me, I forgot to check the treats!! If it helps you out, I am glad I told the story! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4 chasbari

chasbari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

:o :blink: :lol:
(I can't believe I just used emoticons...)

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

Congrats!

My hub still gives Cooper (dog pictured)a Milk Bone at bedtime. I give him Rice Chex. He loves them & they are low cal, low fat, etc. We like to throw them & watch them bounce off his big nose.

Ane we really need a pet forum topic!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

Congrats!

My hub still gives Cooper (dog pictured)a Milk Bone at bedtime. I give him Rice Chex. He loves them & they are low cal, low fat, etc. We like to throw them & watch them bounce off his big nose.

Ane we really need a pet forum topic!

YES!! who do we lobby for that!! :D

I am picturing your lab doing that and it gave me a smile. We used to balance milk bones on my beloved lab, Gracie's nose and try to get her to toss it in the air and catch it....and she would look at us with disgust and just lower her head slowly and let it slide to the floor and eat it...not one for tricks, our old girl...

As for my poisoning incident...My friend, EATMEAT4GOOD on here?...mused...did I feel like Silkwood in the movie..where she gets the showers after radiation poisoning?? .... :D :D

we gotta laugh.... :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

:unsure: :rolleyes: um...does this mean you were an emoticon virgin up 'til now?? if so...BIG congrats!!! :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 chasbari

chasbari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

um... just on this board... :rolleyes:

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

um... just on this board... :rolleyes:

:lol: :D :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 cszymanski12

cszymanski12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

i read your little story and I have a suggestion that can be of help. Im a veterinary professional so I myself had to pay attn to my cat's food and treats. There is a diet call d/d venison and sweet pea both dry and canned cat food by Hills. Its prescription so you will have to see your local veterinarian to be able to get it. My one cat actually after I tested him at my facility I placed him on d/d because he has horrible allergies is allergic to everything and he does great on it and there is no wheat starch etc. Even if your cat doesnt have allergies necessarily they can still be placed on the diet, if you explain your needs with gluten free the vet can help you. I placed my kitten who has no allergies on it as well because of my other cat cannot eat anything but his food because hell have horrible itching, diarrhea and coughing episode later. Then i have to calm that whole situation down and he has grown wise to sitting still. Also, it makes life easier for me and not having to worry about contamination. :D
There is also d/d that comes in duck and sweet pea but alot of kitties love the venison. There is also z/d which is a completely hypoallergenic food. It has a very interesting consistency but kitties that have really sensitive cases can be placed on this. There are also hypoallergenic treats by Hills that you can purchase also cats go crazy over them and they are safe for us to handle. All of these diets are also available for dogs. I just figured if in the future you will be looking into something like this I would give you options.
B) :D
Clarissa Szymanski
Diagnosed with PCOS in November 2008
Currently diagnosed with Gluten Sensitivity March 2011
Misdiagnosed with GERD when I was young, and IBS in December 2010
Gluten Free as of March 2011
Soy Free as of March 2011
Lactose Free as of March 2011
"When in doubt, go without"

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

i read your little story and I have a suggestion that can be of help. Im a veterinary professional so I myself had to pay attn to my cat's food and treats. There is a diet call d/d venison and sweet pea both dry and canned cat food by Hills. Its prescription so you will have to see your local veterinarian to be able to get it. My one cat actually after I tested him at my facility I placed him on d/d because he has horrible allergies is allergic to everything and he does great on it and there is no wheat starch etc. Even if your cat doesnt have allergies necessarily they can still be placed on the diet, if you explain your needs with gluten free the vet can help you. I placed my kitten who has no allergies on it as well because of my other cat cannot eat anything but his food because hell have horrible itching, diarrhea and coughing episode later. Then i have to calm that whole situation down and he has grown wise to sitting still. Also, it makes life easier for me and not having to worry about contamination. :D
There is also d/d that comes in duck and sweet pea but alot of kitties love the venison. There is also z/d which is a completely hypoallergenic food. It has a very interesting consistency but kitties that have really sensitive cases can be placed on this. There are also hypoallergenic treats by Hills that you can purchase also cats go crazy over them and they are safe for us to handle. All of these diets are also available for dogs. I just figured if in the future you will be looking into something like this I would give you options.
B) :D

Thank you!
We do have her on B & G wet food and minimal B &G dry...which is gluten free. As I said, the treats were in an old jar we had for our now-deceased cat (and it was purchased pre-diagnosis for me)otherwise, I would have been more careful before purchasing them.

I know some people think it is extreme to do the gluten-free cat food, but I know now, it can be an issue. Plus, I think it is just better for the animal too!

We will look into the Hills treats!

I appreciate your input!! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 cszymanski12

cszymanski12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thank you!
We do have her on B & G wet food and minimal B &G dry...which is gluten free. As I said, the treats were in an old jar we had for our now-deceased cat (and it was purchased pre-diagnosis for me)otherwise, I would have been more careful before purchasing them.

I know some people think it is extreme to do the gluten-free cat food, but I know now, it can be an issue. Plus, I think it is just better for the animal too!

We will look into the Hills treats!

I appreciate your input!! :)

I am familiar with food its a good one that you do not have to get a prescription for in order to have your kitty on it. I am still in the process with getting used to everything myself and I have realized so many little things can cause a fork in the road for complete recovery. I am going for a biopsy of the rashes i have in the next 2 weeks to find out specifically what I have so I can get on a cream or something to help. I did not realize how my shampoo and body wash all that was making a contribution to everything as well as my cosmetics, toothpaste etc. I havent gotten a new cosmetic like my coverup because im not sure what my options are? Do you know of any that would help ? I am using johnson's baby shampoo and such and i have the safe toothpaste now and i put aveeno lotion the one with ceremides that the allergist said to get until my appt. But I am not sure what everyone uses as far as hygiene products to help with all this??? Im open for any suggestions, and i seriously cannot wait til they get this rash looked at by the dermatologist and tell me exactly what it is. I am not sure if its DH its pretty bad but I know its common with what we have to have that severe eczema/psoriasis I just want to be able to wear t-shirts and such because its awful right now that I cant.

Glad that your kitty is on good food and that you figured out the source of that problem B) All the stories and tips that everyone puts on here are very helpful because some of these things you don't even pick up on until you realize it.
Clarissa Szymanski

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

I am familiar with food its a good one that you do not have to get a prescription for in order to have your kitty on it. I am still in the process with getting used to everything myself and I have realized so many little things can cause a fork in the road for complete recovery. I am going for a biopsy of the rashes i have in the next 2 weeks to find out specifically what I have so I can get on a cream or something to help. I did not realize how my shampoo and body wash all that was making a contribution to everything as well as my cosmetics, toothpaste etc. I havent gotten a new cosmetic like my coverup because im not sure what my options are? Do you know of any that would help ? I am using johnson's baby shampoo and such and i have the safe toothpaste now and i put aveeno lotion the one with ceremides that the allergist said to get until my appt. But I am not sure what everyone uses as far as hygiene products to help with all this??? Im open for any suggestions, and i seriously cannot wait til they get this rash looked at by the dermatologist and tell me exactly what it is. I am not sure if its DH its pretty bad but I know its common with what we have to have that severe eczema/psoriasis I just want to be able to wear t-shirts and such because its awful right now that I cant.

Glad that your kitty is on good food and that you figured out the source of that problem B) All the stories and tips that everyone puts on here are very helpful because some of these things you don't even pick up on until you realize it.

Unfortunately, there is no handbook for this. :unsure: The doctors just say No gluten...but there is waaay more to it than that! The only real help we have is others who walk this same path. These people are the best! I also have a relative with it and a nearby gluten-free cafe whose owner has been incredibly helpful to me.

AVEENO has oats--which are often cross-contaminated. That company will not guarantee gluten free. It may be adding to the problem?

Not sure what other people use for lotion. I use CLEURE lotion. It has no allergens in it. I bought it from their online store.

Google gluten-free cosmetics and see what comes up. I think Ultrapure cosmetics is one. I am not using any makeup right now as my eyes are itchy and puffy and my skin is still breaking out :( I think I'm still detoxing from the gluten. :blink:

There are threads on here that discuss safe makeup. Or you can post a question about the sores and see what others are using to soothe them? I have really itchy skin, but not DH, thank goodness. I have about 40 other symptoms, though :angry: ah well, I look forward to better days.

I am sure the dermatologist can help you. Make sure she does a biopsy from several places. There is a forum topic just for DH on here. Maybe some better info there.

Hope you can find what you need!! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 cszymanski12

cszymanski12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

Unfortunately, there is no handbook for this. :unsure: The doctors just say No gluten...but there is waaay more to it than that! The only real help we have is others who walk this same path. These people are the best! I also have a relative with it and a nearby gluten-free cafe whose owner has been incredibly helpful to me.

AVEENO has oats--which are often cross-contaminated. That company will not guarantee gluten free. It may be adding to the problem?

Not sure what other people use for lotion. I use CLEURE lotion. It has no allergens in it. I bought it from their online store.

Google gluten-free cosmetics and see what comes up. I think Ultrapure cosmetics is one. I am not using any makeup right now as my eyes are itchy and puffy and my skin is still breaking out :( I think I'm still detoxing from the gluten. :blink:

There are threads on here that discuss safe makeup. Or you can post a question about the sores and see what others are using to soothe them? I have really itchy skin, but not DH, thank goodness. I have about 40 other symptoms, though :angry: ah well, I look forward to better days.

I am sure the dermatologist can help you. Make sure she does a biopsy from several places. There is a forum topic just for DH on here. Maybe some better info there.

Hope you can find what you need!! :)

Thanks so much!. Oh my I just looked and yes this Aveeno has the oats no wonder why Im feeling twice as bad using it. :( :o Im stopping it immediately and im going look into that lotion you mentioned. I get so angry when I realize things like this. Its hard maybe because im so new at it. But I am making the little mistakes with things that are small but are the source of some of my problems. Im trying to work on being better about really understanding everything that is in the product I am going to eat or use for my body. I know that it takes time and patience. Its just disappointing when you realize what you have done wrong and that you need to be more careful. I have learned that not everything that is gluten- free is truly gluten free! :angry: There is sometimes still wheat or other hidden ingredients. I am trying to get together some of these recipes and cook for myself so that i can be sure. Or purchase the brands we trust like UDI's etc. I understand what you mean with cosmetics I think its best to hold off on those until the skin calms down and heals. I would rather wait then try to use a product too early and then it cause me more problems. I will have to check at those other posts and see what others have said about the cosmetics and DH. Im hoping for the lesser of the two and that its the eczema/psoriasis that we all tend to get with this health condition. Thanks so much for the advice especially with the Aveeno!!! :( I hadnt even thought twice since my allergist had recommended it for me, but this was of course before I got the rest of my results for my diagnosis. I should have asked about it, but now I know thank you!
Clarissa Szymanski

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

Thanks so much!. Oh my I just looked and yes this Aveeno has the oats no wonder why Im feeling twice as bad using it. :( :o Im stopping it immediately and im going look into that lotion you mentioned. I get so angry when I realize things like this. Its hard maybe because im so new at it. But I am making the little mistakes with things that are small but are the source of some of my problems. Im trying to work on being better about really understanding everything that is in the product I am going to eat or use for my body. I know that it takes time and patience. Its just disappointing when you realize what you have done wrong and that you need to be more careful. I have learned that not everything that is gluten- free is truly gluten free! :angry: There is sometimes still wheat or other hidden ingredients. I am trying to get together some of these recipes and cook for myself so that i can be sure. Or purchase the brands we trust like UDI's etc. I understand what you mean with cosmetics I think its best to hold off on those until the skin calms down and heals. I would rather wait then try to use a product too early and then it cause me more problems. I will have to check at those other posts and see what others have said about the cosmetics and DH. Im hoping for the lesser of the two and that its the eczema/psoriasis that we all tend to get with this health condition. Thanks so much for the advice especially with the Aveeno!!! :( I hadnt even thought twice since my allergist had recommended it for me, but this was of course before I got the rest of my results for my diagnosis. I should have asked about it, but now I know thank you!

You're welcome. I made a lot of mistakes the first 2 months. Shake it off! It's okay!! :)

You'll appreciate this. Hubby went gluten-free with me after the first few months because he felt I was getting CCed even though we were very careful.

And BTW, I did notice I stopped feeling as bad when NO gluteny products were coming in the house for his use and he gave up his beloved Beer. (I know, he's an angel) :)

He was using the Aveeno hand cream one day and said he had rubbed his face with his fingers and felt itchy all of a sudden. Sneezy and eyes filled up. I had purged our house of all creams, shampoos, hair spray, soaps, lotions...and I was not using the aveeno myself. We do not think he is a celiac, but it sure seems pretty strange he reacted to that product a month after he was gluten-free, don't you think?? Me too! I have always believed he is at least gluten-sensitive.

Yup, that one ended up in the trash too. All unopened stuff went to the food pantry in town.

You do have to play detective, but you get sharper at it as you go along. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: