This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cat Food And Gluten

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure what forum this belongs in???....just sharing a funny gluten-related "panic" moment.

We give our cat gluten-free food called BG-- Before Grains. It is supposed to be better for her, not necessarily so I can eat it with her :lol:

But, I had some treats in the pantry that were our former cat's (she died in Aug. and Bella came to us right after that) and so, I took one out to give it to her...and she turned her nose up at it.

Now, seriously...cats lick their own hoo-haas and eat dead mice and she won't eat this special fish flavored treat?? OY! finicky indeed! <_<

So,I put it back in the container and immediately started sneezing and my throat gets "burny" :blink: (I do not need my mouth and throat to be MORE burny as this is one of the many awful symptoms I live with)

Oh, no---instant light bulb moment! I read the label, first ingredient? wheat gluten!!!!!....now, some folks say there is no such thing as "air borne" gluten --but I have gotten this same reaction with hair spray that had hydrolyzed wheat protein in it. One good inhale by mistake and instant ditzy head and a burny, closed throat.

Hubs yells at me "Go wash your hands and your face and blow your nose right now!! Don't touch anything" !!!

I felt like those people who open mysterious packages and white powder falls out.

Crisis averted, but it was pretty funny. Treats are in the trash (so much for our bragging we have a totally gluten-free house :blink: )

okay, maybe NOW it is..... B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

iamsarar Rookie

I have 4 cats and we give them treats. I never thought to look to see what was in them! I wash my hands but I am wondering now, because of your post, if this is the reason I get nauseous sometimes. I haven't been about to figure it out!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have 4 cats and we give them treats. I never thought to look to see what was in them! I wash my hands but I am wondering now, because of your post, if this is the reason I get nauseous sometimes. I haven't been about to figure it out!!

I was surprised. We did know gluten is in dog and cat food, but silly me, I forgot to check the treats!! If it helps you out, I am glad I told the story! :)

chasbari Apprentice

:o:blink::lol:

(I can't believe I just used emoticons...)

kareng Grand Master

Congrats!

My hub still gives Cooper (dog pictured)a Milk Bone at bedtime. I give him Rice Chex. He loves them & they are low cal, low fat, etc. We like to throw them & watch them bounce off his big nose.

Ane we really need a pet forum topic!

IrishHeart Veteran

Congrats!

My hub still gives Cooper (dog pictured)a Milk Bone at bedtime. I give him Rice Chex. He loves them & they are low cal, low fat, etc. We like to throw them & watch them bounce off his big nose.

Ane we really need a pet forum topic!

YES!! who do we lobby for that!! :D

I am picturing your lab doing that and it gave me a smile. We used to balance milk bones on my beloved lab, Gracie's nose and try to get her to toss it in the air and catch it....and she would look at us with disgust and just lower her head slowly and let it slide to the floor and eat it...not one for tricks, our old girl...

As for my poisoning incident...My friend, EATMEAT4GOOD on here?...mused...did I feel like Silkwood in the movie..where she gets the showers after radiation poisoning?? .... :D :D

we gotta laugh.... :D

IrishHeart Veteran

:unsure::rolleyes: um...does this mean you were an emoticon virgin up 'til now?? if so...BIG congrats!!! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chasbari Apprentice

um... just on this board... :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

um... just on this board... :rolleyes:

:lol::D:lol:

cszymanski12 Newbie

i read your little story and I have a suggestion that can be of help. Im a veterinary professional so I myself had to pay attn to my cat's food and treats. There is a diet call d/d venison and sweet pea both dry and canned cat food by Hills. Its prescription so you will have to see your local veterinarian to be able to get it. My one cat actually after I tested him at my facility I placed him on d/d because he has horrible allergies is allergic to everything and he does great on it and there is no wheat starch etc. Even if your cat doesnt have allergies necessarily they can still be placed on the diet, if you explain your needs with gluten free the vet can help you. I placed my kitten who has no allergies on it as well because of my other cat cannot eat anything but his food because hell have horrible itching, diarrhea and coughing episode later. Then i have to calm that whole situation down and he has grown wise to sitting still. Also, it makes life easier for me and not having to worry about contamination. :D

There is also d/d that comes in duck and sweet pea but alot of kitties love the venison. There is also z/d which is a completely hypoallergenic food. It has a very interesting consistency but kitties that have really sensitive cases can be placed on this. There are also hypoallergenic treats by Hills that you can purchase also cats go crazy over them and they are safe for us to handle. All of these diets are also available for dogs. I just figured if in the future you will be looking into something like this I would give you options.

B):D

IrishHeart Veteran

i read your little story and I have a suggestion that can be of help. Im a veterinary professional so I myself had to pay attn to my cat's food and treats. There is a diet call d/d venison and sweet pea both dry and canned cat food by Hills. Its prescription so you will have to see your local veterinarian to be able to get it. My one cat actually after I tested him at my facility I placed him on d/d because he has horrible allergies is allergic to everything and he does great on it and there is no wheat starch etc. Even if your cat doesnt have allergies necessarily they can still be placed on the diet, if you explain your needs with gluten free the vet can help you. I placed my kitten who has no allergies on it as well because of my other cat cannot eat anything but his food because hell have horrible itching, diarrhea and coughing episode later. Then i have to calm that whole situation down and he has grown wise to sitting still. Also, it makes life easier for me and not having to worry about contamination. :D

There is also d/d that comes in duck and sweet pea but alot of kitties love the venison. There is also z/d which is a completely hypoallergenic food. It has a very interesting consistency but kitties that have really sensitive cases can be placed on this. There are also hypoallergenic treats by Hills that you can purchase also cats go crazy over them and they are safe for us to handle. All of these diets are also available for dogs. I just figured if in the future you will be looking into something like this I would give you options.

B):D

Thank you!

We do have her on B & G wet food and minimal B &G dry...which is gluten free. As I said, the treats were in an old jar we had for our now-deceased cat (and it was purchased pre-diagnosis for me)otherwise, I would have been more careful before purchasing them.

I know some people think it is extreme to do the gluten-free cat food, but I know now, it can be an issue. Plus, I think it is just better for the animal too!

We will look into the Hills treats!

I appreciate your input!! :)

cszymanski12 Newbie

Thank you!

We do have her on B & G wet food and minimal B &G dry...which is gluten free. As I said, the treats were in an old jar we had for our now-deceased cat (and it was purchased pre-diagnosis for me)otherwise, I would have been more careful before purchasing them.

I know some people think it is extreme to do the gluten-free cat food, but I know now, it can be an issue. Plus, I think it is just better for the animal too!

We will look into the Hills treats!

I appreciate your input!! :)

I am familiar with food its a good one that you do not have to get a prescription for in order to have your kitty on it. I am still in the process with getting used to everything myself and I have realized so many little things can cause a fork in the road for complete recovery. I am going for a biopsy of the rashes i have in the next 2 weeks to find out specifically what I have so I can get on a cream or something to help. I did not realize how my shampoo and body wash all that was making a contribution to everything as well as my cosmetics, toothpaste etc. I havent gotten a new cosmetic like my coverup because im not sure what my options are? Do you know of any that would help ? I am using johnson's baby shampoo and such and i have the safe toothpaste now and i put aveeno lotion the one with ceremides that the allergist said to get until my appt. But I am not sure what everyone uses as far as hygiene products to help with all this??? Im open for any suggestions, and i seriously cannot wait til they get this rash looked at by the dermatologist and tell me exactly what it is. I am not sure if its DH its pretty bad but I know its common with what we have to have that severe eczema/psoriasis I just want to be able to wear t-shirts and such because its awful right now that I cant.

Glad that your kitty is on good food and that you figured out the source of that problem B) All the stories and tips that everyone puts on here are very helpful because some of these things you don't even pick up on until you realize it.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am familiar with food its a good one that you do not have to get a prescription for in order to have your kitty on it. I am still in the process with getting used to everything myself and I have realized so many little things can cause a fork in the road for complete recovery. I am going for a biopsy of the rashes i have in the next 2 weeks to find out specifically what I have so I can get on a cream or something to help. I did not realize how my shampoo and body wash all that was making a contribution to everything as well as my cosmetics, toothpaste etc. I havent gotten a new cosmetic like my coverup because im not sure what my options are? Do you know of any that would help ? I am using johnson's baby shampoo and such and i have the safe toothpaste now and i put aveeno lotion the one with ceremides that the allergist said to get until my appt. But I am not sure what everyone uses as far as hygiene products to help with all this??? Im open for any suggestions, and i seriously cannot wait til they get this rash looked at by the dermatologist and tell me exactly what it is. I am not sure if its DH its pretty bad but I know its common with what we have to have that severe eczema/psoriasis I just want to be able to wear t-shirts and such because its awful right now that I cant.

Glad that your kitty is on good food and that you figured out the source of that problem B) All the stories and tips that everyone puts on here are very helpful because some of these things you don't even pick up on until you realize it.

Unfortunately, there is no handbook for this. :unsure: The doctors just say No gluten...but there is waaay more to it than that! The only real help we have is others who walk this same path. These people are the best! I also have a relative with it and a nearby gluten-free cafe whose owner has been incredibly helpful to me.

AVEENO has oats--which are often cross-contaminated. That company will not guarantee gluten free. It may be adding to the problem?

Not sure what other people use for lotion. I use CLEURE lotion. It has no allergens in it. I bought it from their online store.

Google gluten-free cosmetics and see what comes up. I think Ultrapure cosmetics is one. I am not using any makeup right now as my eyes are itchy and puffy and my skin is still breaking out :( I think I'm still detoxing from the gluten. :blink:

There are threads on here that discuss safe makeup. Or you can post a question about the sores and see what others are using to soothe them? I have really itchy skin, but not DH, thank goodness. I have about 40 other symptoms, though :angry: ah well, I look forward to better days.

I am sure the dermatologist can help you. Make sure she does a biopsy from several places. There is a forum topic just for DH on here. Maybe some better info there.

Hope you can find what you need!! :)

cszymanski12 Newbie

Unfortunately, there is no handbook for this. :unsure: The doctors just say No gluten...but there is waaay more to it than that! The only real help we have is others who walk this same path. These people are the best! I also have a relative with it and a nearby gluten-free cafe whose owner has been incredibly helpful to me.

AVEENO has oats--which are often cross-contaminated. That company will not guarantee gluten free. It may be adding to the problem?

Not sure what other people use for lotion. I use CLEURE lotion. It has no allergens in it. I bought it from their online store.

Google gluten-free cosmetics and see what comes up. I think Ultrapure cosmetics is one. I am not using any makeup right now as my eyes are itchy and puffy and my skin is still breaking out :( I think I'm still detoxing from the gluten. :blink:

There are threads on here that discuss safe makeup. Or you can post a question about the sores and see what others are using to soothe them? I have really itchy skin, but not DH, thank goodness. I have about 40 other symptoms, though :angry: ah well, I look forward to better days.

I am sure the dermatologist can help you. Make sure she does a biopsy from several places. There is a forum topic just for DH on here. Maybe some better info there.

Hope you can find what you need!! :)

Thanks so much!. Oh my I just looked and yes this Aveeno has the oats no wonder why Im feeling twice as bad using it. :(:o Im stopping it immediately and im going look into that lotion you mentioned. I get so angry when I realize things like this. Its hard maybe because im so new at it. But I am making the little mistakes with things that are small but are the source of some of my problems. Im trying to work on being better about really understanding everything that is in the product I am going to eat or use for my body. I know that it takes time and patience. Its just disappointing when you realize what you have done wrong and that you need to be more careful. I have learned that not everything that is gluten- free is truly gluten free! :angry: There is sometimes still wheat or other hidden ingredients. I am trying to get together some of these recipes and cook for myself so that i can be sure. Or purchase the brands we trust like UDI's etc. I understand what you mean with cosmetics I think its best to hold off on those until the skin calms down and heals. I would rather wait then try to use a product too early and then it cause me more problems. I will have to check at those other posts and see what others have said about the cosmetics and DH. Im hoping for the lesser of the two and that its the eczema/psoriasis that we all tend to get with this health condition. Thanks so much for the advice especially with the Aveeno!!! :( I hadnt even thought twice since my allergist had recommended it for me, but this was of course before I got the rest of my results for my diagnosis. I should have asked about it, but now I know thank you!

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks so much!. Oh my I just looked and yes this Aveeno has the oats no wonder why Im feeling twice as bad using it. :(:o Im stopping it immediately and im going look into that lotion you mentioned. I get so angry when I realize things like this. Its hard maybe because im so new at it. But I am making the little mistakes with things that are small but are the source of some of my problems. Im trying to work on being better about really understanding everything that is in the product I am going to eat or use for my body. I know that it takes time and patience. Its just disappointing when you realize what you have done wrong and that you need to be more careful. I have learned that not everything that is gluten- free is truly gluten free! :angry: There is sometimes still wheat or other hidden ingredients. I am trying to get together some of these recipes and cook for myself so that i can be sure. Or purchase the brands we trust like UDI's etc. I understand what you mean with cosmetics I think its best to hold off on those until the skin calms down and heals. I would rather wait then try to use a product too early and then it cause me more problems. I will have to check at those other posts and see what others have said about the cosmetics and DH. Im hoping for the lesser of the two and that its the eczema/psoriasis that we all tend to get with this health condition. Thanks so much for the advice especially with the Aveeno!!! :( I hadnt even thought twice since my allergist had recommended it for me, but this was of course before I got the rest of my results for my diagnosis. I should have asked about it, but now I know thank you!

You're welcome. I made a lot of mistakes the first 2 months. Shake it off! It's okay!! :)

You'll appreciate this. Hubby went gluten-free with me after the first few months because he felt I was getting CCed even though we were very careful.

And BTW, I did notice I stopped feeling as bad when NO gluteny products were coming in the house for his use and he gave up his beloved Beer. (I know, he's an angel) :)

He was using the Aveeno hand cream one day and said he had rubbed his face with his fingers and felt itchy all of a sudden. Sneezy and eyes filled up. I had purged our house of all creams, shampoos, hair spray, soaps, lotions...and I was not using the aveeno myself. We do not think he is a celiac, but it sure seems pretty strange he reacted to that product a month after he was gluten-free, don't you think?? Me too! I have always believed he is at least gluten-sensitive.

Yup, that one ended up in the trash too. All unopened stuff went to the food pantry in town.

You do have to play detective, but you get sharper at it as you go along. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

PS..The dermatologist may give you stuff for the sores AND be able to suggest the right lotion, makeup perhaps...if she/he is gluten-savvy.

cszymanski12 Newbie

You're welcome. I made a lot of mistakes the first 2 months. Shake it off! It's okay!! :)

You'll appreciate this. Hubby went gluten-free with me after the first few months because he felt I was getting CCed even though we were very careful.

And BTW, I did notice I stopped feeling as bad when NO gluteny products were coming in the house for his use and he gave up his beloved Beer. (I know, he's an angel) :)

He was using the Aveeno hand cream one day and said he had rubbed his face with his fingers and felt itchy all of a sudden. Sneezy and eyes filled up. I had purged our house of all creams, shampoos, hair spray, soaps, lotions...and I was not using the aveeno myself. We do not think he is a celiac, but it sure seems pretty strange he reacted to that product a month after he was gluten-free, don't you think?? Me too! I have always believed he is at least gluten-sensitive.

You do have to play detective, but you get sharper at it as you go along. :)

I couldnt agree more I think that the rest of the house needs to be free of gluten as well. Not for the temptation but more the sneaky little things that get into our food and things we use that make us feel icky. I have thrown away almost everything, still working on accepting that I have to make a new life. But it is well worth it because its not worth feeling so sick and horrible everyday with all that. I think thats the hard thing is going to be getting everyone to convert or be open to slowly progressing to going gluten free. But I have a few friends that I became close with that helped me get to where I am now that are celiacs as well. Both of their husbands are gluten-free and they actually dont like the taste of foods that have all that gluten and other stuff.

I think the biggest thing is realizing that literally everything you need to get rid of. My hand soap, hair spray, everything and I didnt know that I really had to go to those extremes. But all of it really makes things alot harder if I dont.

As you said it will get easier as I go along. I will learn the bad and the good. And instead of getting down, write it on my list of No No things and keep going.

I think the manner of this entire disease and dealing with it is about strength. We are all strong individuals for having to go through the grocery list of symptoms and go through them daily for years etc. Having to go through the tears and pain from getting told there is nothing wrong with us. Until we finally get our answers. We have all never given up hope. :D I feel that the support here keeps us all going. I don't know what i would do if I didnt have an outlet when I feel like Ill never get through this. ;) I hope things continue to get better for you, for what its worth for how ever long you have been getting through this you shared great information with me it was greatly appreciated! B)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am happy if I help you in any way. I have been researching for over 3 years to figure out my health problems (you would not believe what happened to me and how sick I got and how many doctors I saw and how much money we spent on NO HELP WHATSOEVER--until I figured it out and went back to my PC doctor...) Fortunately, I have a cousin-in-law who has celiac disease and she has helped me a lot. She was the one who kept saying "It's gluten, don't listen to the doctors or the negative test result!!" (My test was run after I had been gluten-free for 5 weeks and my stupid doctor said it wouldn't affect the test :blink: ) He was just one idiot in a parade of them who misdiagnosed me....I won't rant about doctors to you--it would take all day LOL :lol:

This site, however, has provided an enormous amount of advice, support, encouragement. I could not have done it without these people. Every time I googled my symptoms during 2009-2010, I was led to this site! The only thing the doctors say is "avoid gluten and dairy"--really? gee, thanks, Doc!! :angry: they don't test for vitamin and mineral deficiencies (unless you ask) or bone density or other autoimmune disease---we have to be our own best advocates!

The whole house needs to be gluten-free, I have found. I feel a lot less "ill" and in a reduced histamine response since we did a "sweep" LOL and my hubs went gluten-free too.

A good book you may want to pick up is The First Year Celiac Disease by Jules E. Dowler Shepard. I have read a ton of stuff, but she lays it all out so well. Just a suggestion!

best wishes!!

cszymanski12 Newbie

I am happy if I help you in any way. I have been researching for over 3 years to figure out my health problems (you would not believe what happened to me and how sick I got and how many doctors I saw and how much money we spent on NO HELP WHATSOEVER--until I figured it out and went back to my PC doctor...) Fortunately, I have a cousin-in-law who has celiac disease and she has helped me a lot. She was the one who kept saying "It's gluten, don't listen to the doctors or the negative test result!!" (My test was run after I had been gluten-free for 5 weeks and my stupid doctor said it wouldn't affect the test :blink: ) He was just one idiot in a parade of them who misdiagnosed me....I won't rant about doctors to you--it would take all day LOL :lol:

This site, however, has provided an enormous amount of advice, support, encouragement. I could not have done it without these people. Every time I googled my symptoms during 2009-2010, I was led to this site! The only thing the doctors say is "avoid gluten and dairy"--really? gee, thanks, Doc!! :angry: they don't test for vitamin and mineral deficiencies (unless you ask) or bone density or other autoimmune disease---we have to be our own best advocates!

The whole house needs to be gluten-free, I have found. I feel a lot less "ill" and in a reduced histamine response since we did a "sweep" LOL and my hubs went gluten-free too.

A good book you may want to pick up is The First Year Celiac Disease by Jules E. Dowler Shepard. I have read a ton of stuff, but she lays it all out so well. Just a suggestion!

best wishes!!

Book sounds great I just looked it up I have come to learn that books, others such as many of us on here, and friends or family that have it are our best choices. I too had the help from a friend that has celiac and a instructor I had on clinicals in school that I still keep in contact with. I completely agree, they were the ones telling me no screw the doctors its the gluten its obvious. Screw the neg results get a new doctor fight for this you have to if you want to save yourself years of misdiagnosis and pain. So I did, I have seen numerous doctors and the one im going to see in May for my other testing with my skin etc is a new one as well. If one started to BS me with stuff that was just a trial thing to see how it worked I walked out. I knew that I had to find a doctor that was going to help. :)

Strange you mentioned you went and ended up having you PC help you. My friend her PCP helped her as well as she got her diagnosis really fast. I am so glad that I havent given up even though I still havent won the battle and still have to have some tests and such beyond what they have already confirmed. I thought for so long that I was never ever going to be heard or feel better. And you and everyone else knows this disease makes you sick and I mean sick! :( I thought I was going to die for a period of time, and I didnt have as bad as some with osteo, and everything else and for my immune system alll that I was experiencing was enough including the liver problems I had with my enzymes all because of Gluten. I love that I feel like everyone on here is like family and were all in this together and anytime we have a random question someone always has an answer its great.

Then when I do have children some day in the future depending upon my PCOS but I will put them on gluten-free as kids if they arent already coming back positive for celiac or intolerance. And the nice ironic thing is your friends and family learn so much about it through you because they have to kinda cater to your needs. Again I appreciate the super helpful advice.! B)B) Part of it for me is because im only in my early 20's and this is a huge change cant do the same types of things I was used to and especially at least right now and from what i have heard I wont be able to wear dresses like I used to if I go out with my friends or my boyfriend. I guess its all dependent on the person and how bad it is. I know my mom cant wear shorts ever becasue her legs are so bad and so scarred. But as long as Im happy and can eat and enjoy it without the suffering and have energy again i am willing to sacrifice anything small or so i need to.

Take care :D

cszymanski12 Newbie

OH!! Speaking of you mentioning the test and being gluten-free for 5 weeks and then getting tested. Well I have been gluten-free of course but they are going to do the blood test or again for celiac and then he wants to do the one for the genetic thing. But I know that it will affect my test so how soon before do i have to eat gluten again before it??? My appt is for the 9th of May. I absolutely hate that I have to put myself through it and im so upset and scared to but I know if i want to protect myself and get the right answers Ill have to. :(:o Also what would you recommend I eat I know it might sound dumb, but I was told like 6 pieces of bread a day but idk for how long I forgot.

Just additionally, is there anything else I should have them do as far as tests I know what diff kinds there are but I know that the doc has to make sure its the right one etc. I just want to get it all done and get results processing so I can get back on my gluten free and away from that poison. If you have ANY suggestions regarding that Im open for any that will be of help. :)

THanks! :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

OH!! Speaking of you mentioning the test and being gluten-free for 5 weeks and then getting tested. Well I have been gluten-free of course but they are going to do the blood test or again for celiac and then he wants to do the one for the genetic thing. But I know that it will affect my test so how soon before do i have to eat gluten again before it??? My appt is for the 9th of May. I absolutely hate that I have to put myself through it and im so upset and scared to but I know if i want to protect myself and get the right answers Ill have to. :(:o Also what would you recommend I eat I know it might sound dumb, but I was told like 6 pieces of bread a day but idk for how long I forgot.

Just additionally, is there anything else I should have them do as far as tests I know what diff kinds there are but I know that the doc has to make sure its the right one etc. I just want to get it all done and get results processing so I can get back on my gluten free and away from that poison. If you have ANY suggestions regarding that Im open for any that will be of help. :)

THanks! :lol:

Kiddo, I am not sure about how much bread to eat and for how long for your testing....definitely post that to the forum "Pre-Diagnosis and testing" so someone with experience with that can tell you!!

I refuse to eat gluten again for testing. My doctor bungled the blood test and the stupid GI doc did an endoscopy without biopsying anything!! They lost the chance. I am doing the non-invasive gene test next week. Then, I am done. I have been put through enough the last few years.

I wish you well!!! :)

Archived