This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So What Is Your Weakness?

BillJ

BillJ Rookie

So what would you say is your weakness? What is the item that tests you and makes you want to cheat? For me ..I am a Carb junkie ...So pasta and bread are my weak spots ...Fortunately I dont mind the gluten-free pastas but I want to dive into the Baguette bin at the store every time I walk past the bakery! A nice crusty bread wrapped around some lovely cheese ....Oh man ...But I wont ...I am only a week in to this ..but its a week I am not giving back ! So what makes your knees weak??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

A croissant with butter. :rolleyes:

I have both nightmares and dreams about them. :ph34r:

mushroom Proficient

I have never found a satisfactory pizza substitute :( They all lack je ne sais quoi. Maybe it's because once I found a semi-decent crust (hard without potato or soy) I could no longer have tomato.

BillJ Rookie

Well on the Pizza front ...I am lucky there ..I was a Pizza hut manager for 5 years and my mom for 15 ...so if I never see another pizza it will not hurt my feelings ! LOL .....Ohhh...But a nice crescent roll with butter is a wonderful thought !

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

That is hilarious Bill!!! :lol::lol: You are probably the only Celiac on here that doesn't miss real live Pizza! :o:o

mushroom Proficient

That is hilarious Bill!!! :lol::lol: You are probably the only Celiac on here that doesn't miss real live Pizza! :o:o

What she said. :lol:

Monklady123 Collaborator

So what would you say is your weakness? What is the item that tests you and makes you want to cheat? For me ..I am a Carb junkie ...So pasta and bread are my weak spots ...Fortunately I dont mind the gluten-free pastas but I want to dive into the Baguette bin at the store every time I walk past the bakery! A nice crusty bread wrapped around some lovely cheese ....Oh man ...But I wont ...I am only a week in to this ..but its a week I am not giving back ! So what makes your knees weak??

There are plenty of things I miss (crusty bread, pizza, dark beer) but none of those "tests me and makes me want to cheat." Never. I feel so horrible when I get glutened that I never feel like cheating. Yes, I wish I could eat them, and it makes me sad sometimes that I never will be able to eat them again. But I'm never tempted to cheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm not tempted to cheat either... altho it's been so long since I had REAL french bread... I'm sure holding it to my nose and inhaling so hard might make it go right up my nose!

Hi... my make is luvs... I'm a carb addict. And I like the gluten-free breads and pastas A LOT... so the unexplained weight loss many people have suffered?? Um... I didn't get that. And I struggle w/ weight constantly!!

aeraen Apprentice

Actually, my weakness is not a food, but the organization and determination to check everything. I've run into a couple of situations where I did not look close enough at the food I am eating (read labels, etc.) and regreted it later.

I also hate (hate, hate, hate) inconveniencing anyone, so I don't really like to say anything about it. I have this "Harry met Sally" image in my mind, and don't go out to eat, because I'm afraid of looking like a Sally.

angel9165 Newbie

Pizza with an ice cold beer!!! I dream about 'em...my mouth is watering now just thinking about it. ;) 6 months in and doing ok, some good days and some sad ones. I will say, the gluten-free crust is tolerable but it's just not the same. I was one of those peeps that just about everything in my diet is now forbidden. Thankfully I still get to eat meat & potatoes. I have found a new love for eggs & bacon too. No weight loss on my new diet so I'm not starving either. :)

Salax Contributor

Doughy pizza. I hate thin cracker like crust that seems to be the norm for gluten free pizza in a restaurant. ;)

Everything else I can deal with..there are just those days where I wish I could order a pizza. Ya know. B)

Terri O Rookie

Beer...it's got to be beer! A nice dark chocolate oatmeal stout that is now the feature of the week from a local brewery here....MMMMMMMM--OK STOP! It's 11 in the morning! :blink:

For food it is barley...love that silky mouthfeel in a good soup. Fast food...Kentucky fried chicken or Culver's chicken...not sure how I am going to get along without that! Terri O

BillJ Rookie

Is there such a thing as a Gluten Free Beer ?? I hadnt even thought about beer ! Are there any alchols that are gluten free? Have to reseach that a bit ! Running on Vapors today ...Was up all night waiting in line to register my daughter for school and am running on ZERO sleep today and have to work all day ...This should be fun ! <_<

angel9165 Newbie

Is there such a thing as a Gluten Free Beer ?? I hadnt even thought about beer ! Are there any alchols that are gluten free? Have to reseach that a bit ! Running on Vapors today ...Was up all night waiting in line to register my daughter for school and am running on ZERO sleep today and have to work all day ...This should be fun ! <_<

Budweiser makes Red Bridge...it's "ok" and it's beer but it's not the Bud Select I used to love. And if you aren't a Bud drinker, you probably won't like it at all. I'm still looking for a good gluten-free beer.

Almendra Apprentice

Dairy Queen. I was a member of the Blizzard of the Month club once.

Now, the prospect of having to have them clean the mixing machine just for my Blizzard - and crossing my fingers that they are thorough enough is not worth the bother. And when they did the girl scout cookies ones - my, but that was heaven.

I also miss their hamburgers, dipped cones. Yeah. Dipped cones. with Dairy Queen ice cream.

(Can you tell that the Dairy Queen manager knew our names while we were growing up? Happy place.)

And, well, Chic-Fil-A chicken sandwich. Have NOT found a suitable fried chicken substitute. *sigh*

Monklady123 Collaborator

Budweiser makes Red Bridge...it's "ok" and it's beer but it's not the Bud Select I used to love. And if you aren't a Bud drinker, you probably won't like it at all. I'm still looking for a good gluten-free beer.

Yeah, Red Bridge is okay. I bought some recently and got good and cold and it was good with some bbq. Problem is that it's too darn cold here still and for me beer is a summer thing. :) -- So, while it's not a good dark beer, I think it will be good ice cold in our 100 degree 90%+ humidity summers.

color-me-confused Explorer

I just tried it ice cold. My favorite beers have always been IPA's, ESB's, stouts, and other highly hopped, bitter beers. I wasn't much of a lighter beer drinker. I thought the Red Bridge was perfectly decent for a lager and didn't have too much sweetness. I can live with this. Wine and mixed drinks are always an option.

BillJ Rookie

I just tried it ice cold. My favorite beers have always been IPA's, ESB's, stouts, and other highly hopped, bitter beers. I wasn't much of a lighter beer drinker. I thought the Red Bridge was perfectly decent for a lager and didn't have too much sweetness. I can live with this. Wine and mixed drinks are always an option.

So is wine gluten free then ? Man This is going to be an interesting road !

sa1937 Community Regular

:D :D :D

GFreeMO Proficient

I hate to admit this but McDonalds...Whenever I see that Big Mac on tv, I get really mad!

mushroom Proficient

I hate to admit this but McDonalds...Whenever I see that Big Mac on tv, I get really mad!

Well, may I say that if that was one of your staples it's probably just as well you can't have it :P

Monklady123 Collaborator

Finishing off a nice glass of chardonnay right now, with some potato chips. -- Now, ask me why I haven't lost any weight since I went gluten free. :rolleyes:

anabananakins Explorer

Nothing would make me cheat, but I am nearly brought to me knees every now and again but the realisation I can never eat __________ again. They didn't occur to me all at once, which is probably for the best! Some good news though - just as I was facing the prospect of a Hot Cross Bun-less easter, I saw itty bitty gluten free ones in the frozen food section of the supermarket. I think in the interests of research I need to buy some today.

I think it helps that I eat most of my meals either alone at home or in my office with my coworker. She's awesomely supportive, and since she's been bringing her lunch lately too, I don't often get lunch envy. If I feel deprived I make pancakes or a jacket potato for dinner. Melted butter makes me quite happy :-)

BillJ Rookie

I was thinking about it yesterday ...And there is one thing I would cheat for ...Just once and then I would let it go ...In 2001 I went to Europe for the first time .I was 25 on my first great adventure..We were in London and we went into this Pub ...It must have 30 beers on tap .Non of them any such rubbish as an american beer ! We are talking great English and European beers ...SO my cousin and I started at one end and began our quest to get to the other end ...You know ...25 can drink like a rock star ...Seriously up for the challenge ! Well about 6 or 7 in I pick up my pint glass and It was like I found the holy grail ! Liquid gold ! CAFFREYS CREME ALE! My quest was over there ...I stopped and drank that for the rest of the night and any where else in Europe they sold it ...Well I got home to the US and began my quest to find this heavenly brew only to find out they had stopped distributing it in the US ! I was devastated! Like finding your soul mate and then being told you can never see them again ! Well if I ever go to Europe again ..WHICH I WILL ! I will try this again just for the memory and then will walk away ...... That is the one and only thing I can think of that I would sell my gluten free soul for ...May have been the trip too ...But it is such a wonderful memory I have to relive it just 1 more time .... Let the nay Sayers say what they will but I will sacrifice to relive that just 1 more time ..... :D

Archived