This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

100+ Ways To Make Potatoes

GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Just like the rice thread I started, let's list our favorite potato recipes/meal ideas. They are cheap comfort food and you can even grow them at home if you have the right climate. :lol: Include sweet poatoes/yams too!

I'll list the most common ones I make fisrt...

1. Baked potatoes (in the oven, microwave OR slow cooker)

2. Baked sweet potatoes (I love to make these in the slow cooker)

3. Hash browns

4. Oven roasted red potatoes with rosemary, garlic and olive oil

5. On top of Shepherds pie/Cottage pie

6. Mashed potatoes--homemade are best but Betty Crocker Potato Buds will do in a pinch :P

7. sweet potato fries

8. In a slow cooker with a roast, onions and carrots

What else?

Anyone make Potato pancakes or potato bread? I would love either of these recipes if someone has a good gluten free one. My grandfather used to make potato pancakes when I was a child and my husband love potato bread. I have not tried either since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mtcross Rookie

scrambled with eggs and veggies...

sb2178 Enthusiast

fritatta or tortilla

latkes!

cream of potato soup

fritatta or tortilla

latkes!

cream of potato soup

All things I love too! Do you have a latke recipe you always use? I would love to have it if you care to share. Thanks.

sb2178 Enthusiast

4 potatoes

3 eggs, lightly stirred

2 T flour (I used potato starch the last few times)

1 T matzo meal (Again, sub'ed in potato starch but other things might work better like cracker crumbs)

1/4 tsp salt (original recipe calls for 1/2 t but I find that too salty)

1/4 tsp pepper

Scrub and grate potatoes. Toss with all remaining ingredients, except the eggs. Add the eggs. Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a large sautee pan. When it is hot (but not smoking!), add spoonfuls of the potato mixture to form patties. Flip when browned, and cook through. Drain on paper towels. Stir the potatoes between batches. Enjoy with applesauce (okay, sour cream if you must).

Optional: add a few tablespooons diced smoked salmon.

kareng Grand Master

This is soooo yummy. Use a good sharp cheddar & shred yourself.

Open Original Shared Link

4 potatoes

3 eggs, lightly stirred

1 T matzo meal (Again, sub'ed in potato starch but other things might work better like cracker crumbs)

1/4 tsp pepper

Scrub and grate potatoes. Toss with all remaining ingredients, except the eggs. Add the eggs. Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a large sautee pan. When it is hot (but not smoking!), add spoonfuls of the potato mixture to form patties. Flip when browned, and cook through. Drain on paper towels. Stir the potatoes between batches. Enjoy with applesauce (okay, sour cream if you must).

Thanks! I was wondering what to use instead of matzo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

We love this, too.

Chunky Chicken Potato Soup

3 med potatoes, peeled & cubed

2 cups chopped onion

4 cups water

1 tbps chicken flavored bouillion granules (I use 2 packets of Herb Ox)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Potato curry

sa1937 Community Regular

Creamy Potato Soup

1 pkg. Bear Creek Creamy Potato Soup (11 oz. size)

8 cups water

2 med. peeled and finely diced potatoes (I use red potatoes)

Cook until done...15 min. or so

Add:

1 lb. breakfast sausage - either pork or turkey (crumbled, fried and drained well)

1 pkg. mixed veggies (I use Birds Eye Steamfresh Mixed Veggies...I microwave them first)

This is my granddaughter's favorite soup. I buy the Bear Creek Soup at Wal-Mart for $3.42 a pkg. There are several Bear Creek Soups that are gluten-free (obviously not all) Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

thick sliced taters (waxy kind) under pieces of chicken. Bake until chicken is done (leaving the skin on). Potatoes will be cooked and soaked in chicken fat (and whatever you flavored the chicken with). Remove chicken and put pan under broiler for a few minutes to brown the potatoes. Remove with slotted spoon or spatula so you are leaving behind most of the fat.

love2travel Mentor

Potatoes are amongst my favourite things to eat. I love:

Vichyssoise

Potatoes Pave

Roasted with fresh herbs

Mashed with roasted garlic, buttermilk and chives, and finished with crispy shallots

Mashed with grainy mustard

Gratin

Hasselback

Brown Butter Mashed

Roasted Greek Lemon

German Potato Salad

Chorizo Hashbrowns

Coconut Potato Curry with Cashews and Basil

Garlic Potato Puree with Shiitake Ragout and Potato Crisps

Mashed Potatoes with Manchego and Olive Oil

Pureed Potatoes with Caramelized Leeks

Pan Fried Fingerlings with Pancetta and Fried Sage

Potato Cakes with Leeks and Feta

Potato Latkes

Potato Gnocchi

Ricotta Stuffed Potato Boats

Roasted Garlic Celeriac Potato Puree

Skillet Potatoes with Olives and Lemon

Cheesy Leek Jacket

Roasted Baked Potatoes Stuffed with Mascarpone and Dill

Squashed Potatoes

Juliebove Rising Star

The first recipe listed here by Gordon Ramsay:

I used Yukon Gold potatoes for it. Have also made something similar with a recipe that a friend gave me. The onions are not cooked first and it uses vegetable broth. Both are very good.

Vegan stuffed potatoes. I start with big baking potatoes. For each two that I bake, I make another one. We like them overstuffed! Plus I usually break one. Bake however you want and let cool enough to handle. Cut off the tops and scoop out enough potato so that you have a 1/8 inch shell. Mash the potatoes with plenty of rice or soy milk. You want a fairly soft mixture. Add lots of nutritional yeast to give it a cheese taste. Also some sliced scallions or chives and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff back in the shells and bake until heated through. Add more sliced scallions or chives on top just before serving.

Pan fried potatoes.

Potatoes, bacon, onion and peppers, pan fried.

Tater Tot Casserole.

Instant mashed potatoes mixed with onion, bacon and cheese.

kareng Grand Master

Potatoes are amongst my favourite things to eat. I love:

Vichyssoise

Potatoes Pave

Roasted with fresh herbs

Mashed with roasted garlic, buttermilk and chives, and finished with crispy shallots

Mashed with grainy mustard

Gratin

Hasselback

Brown Butter Mashed

Roasted Greek Lemon

German Potato Salad

Chorizo Hashbrowns

Coconut Potato Curry with Cashews and Basil

Garlic Potato Puree with Shiitake Ragout and Potato Crisps

Mashed Potatoes with Manchego and Olive Oil

Pureed Potatoes with Caramelized Leeks

Pan Fried Fingerlings with Pancetta and Fried Sage

Potato Cakes with Leeks and Feta

Potato Latkes

Potato Gnocchi

Ricotta Stuffed Potato Boats

Roasted Garlic Celeriac Potato Puree

Skillet Potatoes with Olives and Lemon

Cheesy Leek Jacket

Roasted Baked Potatoes Stuffed with Mascarpone and Dill

Squashed Potatoes

Potato gnochi? Do yo have a recipe? My old one had some flour in it.

love2travel Mentor

For my potato gnocchi I use use a gluten-free AP flour blend that I've made up to have on hand. Ricotta gnocchi is also very good and some recipes don't require any flour!

I LOVE gnocchi too much to not convert it to gluten-free! :P

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Here's an Irish site all about Potatoes.

It's called 'The Daily Spud' check out the recipes for everthing made with potatoes.

Best Regards,

David

freeatlast Collaborator

4 potatoes

3 eggs, lightly stirred

1/4 tsp pepper

What are these called?

sa1937 Community Regular

What are these called?

I made something very similar years ago and called them potato pancakes. Very yummy and I sorta forgot about them. I served them with applesauce.

mtcross Rookie

What are these called?

Sounds like a latke to me..

Marilyn R Community Regular

Just like the rice thread I started, let's list our favorite potato recipes/meal ideas. They are cheap comfort food and you can even grow them at home if you have the right climate. :lol: Include sweet poatoes/yams too!

I'll list the most common ones I make fisrt...

1. Baked potatoes (in the oven, microwave OR slow cooker)

2. Baked sweet potatoes (I love to make these in the slow cooker)

3. Hash browns

4. Oven roasted red potatoes with rosemary, garlic and olive oil

5. On top of Shepherds pie/Cottage pie

6. Mashed potatoes--homemade are best but Betty Crocker Potato Buds will do in a pinch :P

7. sweet potato fries

8. In a slow cooker with a roast, onions and carrots

What else?

Anyone make Potato pancakes or potato bread? I would love either of these recipes if someone has a good gluten free one. My grandfather used to make potato pancakes when I was a child and my husband love potato bread. I have not tried either since going gluten free.

I'm embarrassed to say that I make these potatoes 5 nights out of 7. My BF is Irish and wants potatoes almost every night. When I ask him how he wants them, he always asks if I can slice them. Because he loves this:

Thinly slice scrubbed, picked over (remove the nicks and bleminshes) from 1/2 lb. (about 2 cups sliced, give or take) baby yukon gold or red skinned taters. (I've used Idaho's or whatever is on sale, too.)

Thinly slicing sounds like a pain. I've got a slicer (mandolin) that takes the pain out of it. Something I had in a box for over three years and never used until I went gluten-free. Progresso is the manufacturer, but other companies make them. You can slice up a stack of potatoes in nothing flat.

After slicing the potatoes, lay out two 1' lengths of aluminum foil. Toss the taters on there, then thinly slice a small white onion. Divide the onion slices into ringlets, and use a paring knife to quickly cut the larger pieces up. (Likewise with the potato slices, if they're too large.)

Sprinkle with sea salt to taste and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and mix up with your hands.

Fold the potatoes into packets or envelopes in the aluminum foil. Toss them on a heated grill. (We usually use a gas grill, but I've made these on charcoal and wood grill. You can forego the aluminum paper and cook them stovetop in a well seasoned cast iron pot or non-stick pan. The secret is to burn them a little bit and not turn them to quickly. And cook them longer than you think you should (at least for me).

I always make more than we can eat, because they're so good (and filling) with a lettuce salad (especially with tuna and/or bacon) or reheated for breakfast. They're the bomb. :D

They're easier to make then it was to describe, my best advice is to relax while they're cooking.

Archived