This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

BBQ Sauce Brands

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am looking for a gluten free BBQ sauce. With the warmer weather coming up, we are going to be doing a lot of grilling! I've spent the entire winter in the kitchen and am looking forward to doing some of the cooking outside.

Which bbq sauces are gluten free? I would prefer one that says gluten free on the label. I have heard that Kraft bbq sauce if safe but it has a ton of ingredients so I dont know how they can be sure but I don't know. I haven't been brave enough to try it. What do you use? I would be willing to make my own too if anyoen has a recipe.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Our favorite is Sweet Baby Rays.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks Patti. I looked on their website and didn't see anything about it beng gluten free. Does it say it on the bottle or how do you know it's okay?

Thanks

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Patti. I looked on their website and didn't see anything about it beng gluten free. Does it say it on the bottle or how do you know it's okay?

Thanks

Open Original Shared Link

All the way at the bottom.

kareng Grand Master

I Use Gates. Called the corporate office and talked to one of the Gates family. They don't say gluten-free on them though. You might be able to get that where you live.

psawyer Proficient

It is not something I use myself. But through this board I have heard that Kraft has some products you may want to look at. Kraft will clearly label any gluten source, no matter how small, in the ingredients list.

love2travel Mentor

Haven't bought BBQ Sauce for years. If you're still interested I literally have nearly 100 recipes and make many regularly. Soooo much better in my opinion as you know what goes into it. And you just can't beat homemade. One of my favourite AP recipes (incredible on baby back ribs) is:

Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce (makes 2 1/4 c)

2/3 c tomato paste

2/3 c water

1/2 c packed dark brown sugar

1/4 c unsulfured molasses

1/4 c cider vinegar

2 T chili powder (I grind chiles to make my own so I know it's gluten-free)

2 T light corn syrup

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 t onion powder

1 t salt

1 t freshly ground black pepper

1/2 t garlic powder

1/2 t cayenne

(I use McCormick's spices as they are gluten-free.)

Whisk all together in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

I make an awesome smokey BBQ sauce, too, if interested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

That would be why, as a diabetic, I don't use BBQ sauce. :o

love2travel Mentor

That would be why, as a diabetic, I don't use BBQ sauce. :o

Oh, sorry about that. You have it extra hard. :(

catsmeow Contributor

Our favorite is Sweet Baby Rays.

I know lots of people say that Sweet Baby Rays is safe for them.....but I just wanted to mention that I get sick from it. It's happened more than once. I've gotten my usual glutened reaction. I'm not sure what ingredient in it is getting me, but it gets me good, in a bad way! And no, it was not any other food I had. I can isolate it as the cuprit each time.

Yet, I know many of you eat it safely.....

catsmeow Contributor

I use Austin's own, and it says Gluten free on the bootle. Of course, I live in Texas, so it may be a local item (they do sell it online, from their website). I use to buy the expensive gluten free BBQ sauce from Whole foods, of course, it's $5 for a tiny bottle, I get more bang for my buck with Austins own.

I can't find where it says "gluten free" on their website, but I double checked the bottle in my fridge and it says "gluten free, and Vegan" It has corn syrup, NOT HFCS...so glad

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I know lots of people say that Sweet Baby Rays is safe for them.....but I just wanted to mention that I get sick from it. It's happened more than once. I've gotten my usual glutened reaction. I'm not sure what ingredient in it is getting me, but it gets me good, in a bad way! And no, it was not any other food I had. I can isolate it as the cuprit each time.

Yet, I know many of you eat it safely.....

I can't eat Sweet Baby Rays because of the HFCS. I know most people don't have a problem with it, but that might be what you are reactiong to as well if you don't eat much processed food. It used to be my DH's favorite brand too! I was so bummed out that all the flavors had HFCS. For those that can eat Sweet Baby Rays though, there are always coupons out for it when summer gets close. I used to stock up on it for under .50 a bottle. Kraft BBQ sauce is almost always free with a coupon deal as well. I don't care for the taste of Kraft however.

That recipe sounds fab love2travel! I will have to try that sometime and sub coconut aminos for the worchestershire sauce.

catsmeow Contributor

I can't eat Sweet Baby Rays because of the HFCS. I know most people don't have a problem with it, but that might be what you are reactiong to as well if you don't eat much processed food. It used to be my DH's favorite brand too! I was so bummed out that all the flavors had HFCS. For those that can eat Sweet Baby Rays though, there are always coupons out for it when summer gets close. I used to stock up on it for under .50 a bottle. Kraft BBQ sauce is almost always free with a coupon deal as well. I don't care for the taste of Kraft however.

That recipe sounds fab love2travel! I will have to try that sometime and sub coconut aminos for the worchestershire sauce.

I'll bet your right, HFCS is something I avoid. Maybe that is what I react to. I eat mostly organic, and not a lot of processed foods.

Michelle1234 Contributor

We use The Rib House. It says Gluten Free right on the bottle. The ingredients list looks fabulous (all items you can identify) and it tastes great (probably because it is all natural and no chemicals). We get it at our local King Sooper which is a Kroger brand store so maybe it is available in other stores.

Here is a link to order it on-line if you want. This link is to the mild page but they have a whole range of products. I linked to this page because it says right on the top of the page that ALL sauces are gluten free. Yeah! (Ok I just followed my own link and the top banner keeps changing but right after the ingredients list on each bottle it has those blessed little words in bold type GLUTEN FREE.)

Here is the link to all the sauces. Open Original Shared Link

popcorn42 Newbie

Stubbs brand of BBQ sauces and marinades are certified gluten-free as of 2 years ago, and have received high ratings from Men's Health Magazine.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone. I will be on the lookout for some of those sauces. Also, thanks for that recipe. It sounds great! :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Haven't bought BBQ Sauce for years. If you're still interested I literally have nearly 100 recipes and make many regularly. Soooo much better in my opinion as you know what goes into it. And you just can't beat homemade. One of my favourite AP recipes (incredible on baby back ribs) is:

Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce (makes 2 1/4 c)

2/3 c tomato paste

2/3 c water

1/4 c cider vinegar

2 T chili powder (I grind chiles to make my own so I know it's gluten-free)

2 T light corn syrup

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 t onion powder

1 t salt

1 t freshly ground black pepper

1/2 t garlic powder

1/2 t cayenne

(I use McCormick's spices as they are gluten-free.)

Whisk all together in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

I make an awesome smokey BBQ sauce, too, if interested.

I made this today to use on BBG chicken tonight. The only things I did differently was to use coocnut aminos in place of the W sauce (I can't have soy), use light brown sugar instead of dark (didn't have any dark), and instead of cayenne I used my own home-grown ground dried chilis (which is VERY spicy so I only used 1/4 teaspoon). I tasted a little after heating it up and it is YUMMY! Thank you for the recipe! This would be very good on slow cooked ribs. I will have to make it again sometime for beef ribs or a BBQ rack of lamb (I'm allergic to pork).

ECUmom3 Explorer

I can't have refined sugars, so I use Bone Suckin sauce. It's great! Everyone in my family loves it.

love2travel Mentor

I made this today to use on BBG chicken tonight. The only things I did differently was to use coocnut aminos in place of the W sauce (I can't have soy), use light brown sugar instead of dark (didn't have any dark), and instead of cayenne I used my own home-grown ground dried chilis (which is VERY spicy so I only used 1/4 teaspoon). I tasted a little after heating it up and it is YUMMY! Thank you for the recipe! This would be very good on slow cooked ribs. I will have to make it again sometime for beef ribs or a BBQ rack of lamb (I'm allergic to pork).

Awesome - glad you like it! If you want more let me know - I have so many recipes. :P

Takala Enthusiast

Robbie's BBQ sauce (west coast, typically found in health food stores) is marked gluten free on the label. However, there is a disclaimer (good for them) that they are manufactured in a facility which also does wheat. They also use some distilled vinegar now instead of all apple cider vinegar, so they may not be for the super - sensitive. They do use mostly honey for their sweetener in it.

Modern BBQ sauces are pretty tomatoey, sweet, and syrupy with molasses. Older southern style ones are less so, more vinegery, spicy, and thinner.

Kansas City Styles of BBQ

St Louis Style BBQ

Texas BBQ styles (east, west, central, south)

Archived