19 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

I am looking for a gluten free BBQ sauce. With the warmer weather coming up, we are going to be doing a lot of grilling! I've spent the entire winter in the kitchen and am looking forward to doing some of the cooking outside.
Which bbq sauces are gluten free? I would prefer one that says gluten free on the label. I have heard that Kraft bbq sauce if safe but it has a ton of ingredients so I dont know how they can be sure but I don't know. I haven't been brave enough to try it. What do you use? I would be willing to make my own too if anyoen has a recipe.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Our favorite is Sweet Baby Rays.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Patti. I looked on their website and didn't see anything about it beng gluten free. Does it say it on the bottle or how do you know it's okay?

Thanks

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Thanks Patti. I looked on their website and didn't see anything about it beng gluten free. Does it say it on the bottle or how do you know it's okay?

Thanks

http://www.kensfoods.com/kf/glutenFreeList.servlet

All the way at the bottom.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

I Use Gates. Called the corporate office and talked to one of the Gates family. They don't say gluten-free on them though. You might be able to get that where you live.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

It is not something I use myself. But through this board I have heard that Kraft has some products you may want to look at. Kraft will clearly label any gluten source, no matter how small, in the ingredients list.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Haven't bought BBQ Sauce for years. If you're still interested I literally have nearly 100 recipes and make many regularly. Soooo much better in my opinion as you know what goes into it. And you just can't beat homemade. One of my favourite AP recipes (incredible on baby back ribs) is:

Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce (makes 2 1/4 c)

2/3 c tomato paste
2/3 c water
1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c unsulfured molasses
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 T chili powder (I grind chiles to make my own so I know it's gluten-free)
2 T light corn syrup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t onion powder
1 t salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t cayenne

(I use McCormick's spices as they are gluten-free.)

Whisk all together in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

I make an awesome smokey BBQ sauce, too, if interested.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c unsulfured molasses

That would be why, as a diabetic, I don't use BBQ sauce. :o
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

That would be why, as a diabetic, I don't use BBQ sauce. :o

Oh, sorry about that. You have it extra hard. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Our favorite is Sweet Baby Rays.

I know lots of people say that Sweet Baby Rays is safe for them.....but I just wanted to mention that I get sick from it. It's happened more than once. I've gotten my usual glutened reaction. I'm not sure what ingredient in it is getting me, but it gets me good, in a bad way! And no, it was not any other food I had. I can isolate it as the cuprit each time.

Yet, I know many of you eat it safely.....
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#11 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

I use Austin's own, and it says Gluten free on the bootle. Of course, I live in Texas, so it may be a local item (they do sell it online, from their website). I use to buy the expensive gluten free BBQ sauce from Whole foods, of course, it's $5 for a tiny bottle, I get more bang for my buck with Austins own.

I can't find where it says "gluten free" on their website, but I double checked the bottle in my fridge and it says "gluten free, and Vegan" It has corn syrup, NOT HFCS...so glad

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I know lots of people say that Sweet Baby Rays is safe for them.....but I just wanted to mention that I get sick from it. It's happened more than once. I've gotten my usual glutened reaction. I'm not sure what ingredient in it is getting me, but it gets me good, in a bad way! And no, it was not any other food I had. I can isolate it as the cuprit each time.

Yet, I know many of you eat it safely.....

I can't eat Sweet Baby Rays because of the HFCS. I know most people don't have a problem with it, but that might be what you are reactiong to as well if you don't eat much processed food. It used to be my DH's favorite brand too! I was so bummed out that all the flavors had HFCS. For those that can eat Sweet Baby Rays though, there are always coupons out for it when summer gets close. I used to stock up on it for under .50 a bottle. Kraft BBQ sauce is almost always free with a coupon deal as well. I don't care for the taste of Kraft however.

That recipe sounds fab love2travel! I will have to try that sometime and sub coconut aminos for the worchestershire sauce.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

I can't eat Sweet Baby Rays because of the HFCS. I know most people don't have a problem with it, but that might be what you are reactiong to as well if you don't eat much processed food. It used to be my DH's favorite brand too! I was so bummed out that all the flavors had HFCS. For those that can eat Sweet Baby Rays though, there are always coupons out for it when summer gets close. I used to stock up on it for under .50 a bottle. Kraft BBQ sauce is almost always free with a coupon deal as well. I don't care for the taste of Kraft however.

That recipe sounds fab love2travel! I will have to try that sometime and sub coconut aminos for the worchestershire sauce.

I'll bet your right, HFCS is something I avoid. Maybe that is what I react to. I eat mostly organic, and not a lot of processed foods.

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#14 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

We use The Rib House. It says Gluten Free right on the bottle. The ingredients list looks fabulous (all items you can identify) and it tastes great (probably because it is all natural and no chemicals). We get it at our local King Sooper which is a Kroger brand store so maybe it is available in other stores.

Here is a link to order it on-line if you want. This link is to the mild page but they have a whole range of products. I linked to this page because it says right on the top of the page that ALL sauces are gluten free. Yeah! (Ok I just followed my own link and the top banner keeps changing but right after the ingredients list on each bottle it has those blessed little words in bold type GLUTEN FREE.)
http://www.theribhou...4&category_id=1

Here is the link to all the sauces. http://www.theribhou...e&category_id=1

#15 popcorn42

popcorn42

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Stubbs brand of BBQ sauces and marinades are certified gluten-free as of 2 years ago, and have received high ratings from Men's Health Magazine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: