Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do I Talk To My Boyfriend About Kissing?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

Does anyone have any good advice about talking to their significant other about kissing after he/she eats gluten?

I'm sure a lot of non-celiacs would think that it's silly, but I know it's a real concern. Yes, it does take the spontaneousness out of things and may mean carrying a portable toothbrush to restaurants. But how do I talk to him about it without making it seem like a huge deal? He's supportive of me being gluten-free, but at the same time I can tell that things may get a little overwhelming for him once we, for instance, try going out to eat or to parties. So I'm trying to find the easiest way to talk about it.

Any advice? :unsure:

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Does anyone have any good advice about talking to their significant other about kissing after he/she eats gluten?

I'm sure a lot of non-celiacs would think that it's silly, but I know it's a real concern. Yes, it does take the spontaneousness out of things and may mean carrying a portable toothbrush to restaurants. But how do I talk to him about it without making it seem like a huge deal? He's supportive of me being gluten-free, but at the same time I can tell that things may get a little overwhelming for him once we, for instance, try going out to eat or to parties. So I'm trying to find the easiest way to talk about it.

Any advice? :unsure:

Hopefully, if he is your boyfriend, you can talk about this. You could try a funny approach. We will not be swapping spito, chewing gum or crumbs.

Really, you should wait until your married. :blink:

Lol

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hopefully, if he is your boyfriend, you can talk about this. You could try a funny approach. We will not be swapping spito, chewing gum or crumbs.

Really, you should wait until your married. :blink:

Lol

Haha funny how we have to have a "safe kissing" talk. Maybe we should just put plastic bags over our lips. Abstinence is the only truly safe way!

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

Haha funny how we have to have a "safe kissing" talk. Maybe we should just put plastic bags over our lips. Abstinence is the only truly safe way!

That's perfect! "Joe, we need to have a Talk about safe kissing. Until someone invents lip condoms, you need to brush, floss, rinse well."

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

My hub said do what they do in Annie Hall - get the goodnight kiss out of the way at the beginning of the date. He thinks you should present your date with a pretty gift bag with a toothbrush & toothpaste.

santa-dance.gif

#6 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Haha, I'm thinking I should just tell him to read this topic. Pretty funny. :P

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hub said if it's a bad date, just tell the guy he can take the bag home with him. My 18 year old son looked a bit horrified at the first kiss problem. One of the girls he liked a while back had Celiac. Should I ask him his advice? :ph34r:

santa-dance.gif

#8 BillJ

BillJ

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Heres your new Mantra for him .... Glut on you lips ...No sugar from these lips ! or a little more racey one ..... Got Glut ..NO FRUIT !! Make its silly thing ....Before telling him make sure he is well aware of what gluten means to you and then one he has a grasp of it which it sounds like ..Just cutely tell him something like above ! If he is a nice guy he will laugh ...Then tell him ...you know I am serious right ! :D

#9 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

So I tried to tell him and make it seem as small of an issue as possible. But it didn't go well. I don't know what to do. :unsure:

#10 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

It's a little different because we're married, but my husband knows that when he eats gluten, at work or what have you, he has to brush before he gets home. It's the first thing I ask when he walks in the door and leans in. :)

Your boyfriend should be willing to brush his teeth for you. If you had a peanut allergy, would he smooch you after eating a pb and j sandwich? That has literally killed people. Plus he gets the benefit of better oral hygiene!

If he won't do this small thing, I think it says a lot about his character, especially if he knows it makes you sick.

#11 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

So I tried to tell him and make it seem as small of an issue as possible. But it didn't well. I don't know what to do. :unsure:

My sweetie gets no lip kisses after gluten, but he does get them all over the rest of his face. Now, if we're going out to dinner he'll kiss me (thoroughly :ph34r: :ph34r: ) in the car before we go in if he's planning on having a beer, or a gluteny dinner. It makes it kinda fun since we use the gluten excuse to play, rather than restrict.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Aaaww, that's really too bad :( I don't know what to suggest :o Tell him you don't want to get "sick" of him?? No, probably not :ph34r: What did he say?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Aaaww, that's really too bad :( I don't know what to suggest :o Tell him you don't want to get "sick" of him?? No, probably not :ph34r: What did he say?

He thinks that I'm being ridiculous and overly paranoid. I told him that it will make me sick...I'm at a loss of what to do... :(

#14 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

He thinks that I'm being ridiculous and overly paranoid. I told him that it will make me sick...I'm at a loss of what to do... :(

I don't know how old you are. If he's 20 then I might get his reaction.

He doesn't believe that a crumb will make you sick. Maybe you could get him some info about that fact. But, if he won't do this little thing for you....well, our funny ideas will work for your next dating prospect. :)

santa-dance.gif

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just talked to hub. Told him BF thinks it's silly. He just shook his head and laughed. He said, " you aren't getting any, Buddy."

My 15 & 18 year old boys are horrified that a boy would make his gluten-free sick. A good gluten-free is hard to come by. They would definitely brush their teeth, stand on their head and clap their feet and/or put on deodorant if a girl would want to kiss them.

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: