23 replies to this topic

#16 WheatChef

WheatChef

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Acid reflux is most often times an issue of too little stomach acid. Excessive carbohydrate consumption inhibits the development of sufficient stomach acid. Most people when they switch to a gluten free diet, do so by replacing all of the gluteny things that they used to eat with the specialty "gluten-free" bakery/pasta items which are almost all pure sugar. This causes terrible things to your digestive system. Alternatively really anything high in carbs can cause this, like fruits or even an abundance of nuts.

Basically:
Have problems with your intestine? Quit wheat (preferably all grains imo).
Have problems with acid reflux or heart disease? Quit Carbs.
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Acid reflux is most often times an issue of too little stomach acid. Excessive carbohydrate consumption inhibits the development of sufficient stomach acid. Most people when they switch to a gluten free diet, do so by replacing all of the gluteny things that they used to eat with the specialty "gluten-free" bakery/pasta items which are almost all pure sugar. This causes terrible things to your digestive system. Alternatively really anything high in carbs can cause this, like fruits or even an abundance of nuts.

Basically:
Have problems with your intestine? Quit wheat (preferably all grains imo).
Have problems with acid reflux or heart disease? Quit Carbs.

From what I've read in books by docs who test for stomach acid production and treat acid reflux naturally (w/o acid blocking drugs), I've never read that carb consumption causes low stomach acid. Where did you hear/read that? What's the physiological mechanism by which carb consumption decreases stomach acid? Thanks for any explanation you can provide.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#18 Anya

Anya

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hello everyone.

My major symptom that led to my celiac diagnosis was constant acid reflux. I have been on the gluten-free diet for four weeks now, and have definitely noticed improvement with my reflux, but it has not gone completely away. I was wondering if anyone had advice for my particular situation.

I used to have reflux every day, that responded to no medicine. I was on Nexium and carafate, and the carafate helped coat my throat so it didn't hurt as much, but the reflux still happened. When I ate solid food I felt like I was choking on it, I was nauseated/felt like retching, I would burp up acid with little chunks of food in it, and the bottom of my throat felt sore in general. The heartburn-like feeling from reflux actually didn't happen that much, but would every once in a while, and my whole chest would feel sore, like someone shot me with a shotgun or something.

Now that I am gluten-free I have whole days when I have no reflux at all. But I still have a sore throat, like the back of my throat feels "tight" esp when I swallow, but it is not a choking feeling. It will get worse and better on certain days. Right now I am having "heartburn" style reflux which is prompting this post but it is rare for me.

I am keeping a food diary and I think a culprit might be citrus, or acidic liquids. I had sprite today (I NEVER drink soda but I was at a party) and was wondering if maybe that gave me the heartburn now. Took some gluten-free tums for it. (I have been off Nexium for like, three weeks now?)

So, foods: I am completely gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free (but plan on reintroducing dairy at a later date). I NEVER drink caffeine, except maybe a green tea from time to time. I rarely have alcohol, and when I do I have only one or two drinks (wine doesn't give me reflux but I think hard liquor might). I have been avoiding tomatoes, citrus (except in fruit medley juices but that might be too much, idk), and the only "grease" I use for cooking is olive oil. I have cut out all sources of peppermint from my diet including gum and toothpaste. I never eat within three hours of lying down, and my head is slightly elevated but I don't have a bed--I sleep on the floor Japanese-style--so I can't elevate it a lot. I also eat small meals throughout the day rather than binging on big ones... but have a hard time getting in all the calories I need in a day, even so.

I have been eating a lot of bananas and almonds, and they seem to help, but don't get rid of the tight throat feeling. I have yet to try raw apple cider vinegar in case my problem is too little stomach acid, but I did buy some. I also have ginger and fennel tea that I will have at times and my toothpaste is tom's of maine fennel flavor (fluoride-free). I take allergen-free digestive enzymes derived from microbes with dinner.

For a celiac, do any foods in particular cause reflux? If I have terrible reflux and no specific reflux-causing food on my food diary, should I assume cross-contamination? I don't always wash my hands before I eat--could that be CCing me enough for reflux and headaches? I don't know what my "glutened" symptoms are yet (but I do know what my "soy'd" symptoms are <_< )

Also, someday, perhaps when my gut totally heals, will I be able to reintroduce tomatoes, small amounts of citrus, and rum into my diet? I'm a big rum fan and used to drink rum all the time without problems... I'm only 21, I shouldn't have GERD!!

any advice at all would be appreciated!

I had severe problems with acid reflux. I know exactly what you are talking about. It was at times so bad that I went to the doctor thinking I had Strep throat. Glutenfree alone did not do it, I had to give up all dairy (big issue) and all food additives that are "MSG" related or "Free Glutamate". Here is a list of ingredients to watch out for:
http://www.truthinla...densources.html

It took me many years to figure this out, but I am completely acid reflux free today (and no longer need Prevacid). I used to sleep on a large triangle pillow, that helped significantly with the soar throat. I am not sure if you tried that yet. Something to ease your pain until you can figure out what works for you.

Evelyn
2 year old daughter and myself with Celiac gene, negative blood work, yet positive response to glutenfree diet. Will do gluten challenge and endoscopy when daughter goes to preschool.

#19 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Acid reflux was a problem for me, as well. But I hadn't had it since going on the diet except for the two times that I've eaten hard boiled eggs - is that weird? I'm going off of pure egg dishes for now. Hopefully I'll still be able to tolerate them in baked foods.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#20 marjean

marjean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

I have had celiac for a few years, and had it under control. Then I had what I thought was a asthma attack.I couldnt breathe at all. went to the dr and she said i have (had)pneumonia, asthma,celiac,fibromyalgia. started me on prednisone, biaxin,singular,and of course blood pressure meds. I bloated so much i couldnt eat. to make a long story short i lost 12 pounds in 10 days, very weak.vision blurry. so then she suggested mylanta 2 to get me to eat..i went to a different dr and he showed no tumors/etc in my throat and nose, chest xrays shows no pnemonia, heart good. but because of the acid reflux in my mouth(the acid was fillling my mouth extremely) caused my throat to be "raw meat" he told me to stay on broth. My stomach felt like it was in cramps, and I really felt like I was going to die. Then I was sent to a Gastriologists, and he said "eat,eat,eat" and couldnt believe I had been on broth for 4 days, prior to that I hadnt eaten food in about a week. He changed my acid reflux meds, and today --2 days later- my acid is almost gone, I can sllep more than 2 hrs(with head elevated), and am trying to get my weight up. I am having a upper GI in 3 weeks. I am trying to think what CAN I eat with both acid reflux, celiac, and fibromyalgia. Can I have Skippy Peanut butter(I believe thats gluton free)..but contains oils which I was told people with Gerd couldnt eat..I am getting tired of rice and white food..would broccoli, green beans be okay? what about the fruit? PLEASE help!!!

#21 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think that if you have severe reflux you should have an endoscopy done to check and see if you have Barrett's Esophagus which is caused by the damage done by the acid.

#22 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Shhhhh.... i eat skippy natural peanutbutter all the time and it doesn't cause my GERD to rear its head :ph34r: But don't tell it that. Never once has it bothered me.

There are lots of things you can eat, but what i found helps the most is if i eat something starchy with each meal. I also only drink water (and milk on occasion).
No spicy, no fatty, no greasy. On occasion cheese will get it going, but not often. So no fried food, no chillis, and no overly rich stuff.

My GERD was severe enough that i too could not eat much and my throat was damaged (took a year to heal :blink: ). Meds did not work for me, rather they made it worse. Was told i was intolerent to them :blink:. I sleep on a wedge pillow which helps at night (else i would wake up feeling like i couldn't breathe). So i control it through my diet.

On my lowest point i was eating sweet potatos, white potatos, rice, chicken (boiled), apples & peanutbutter, carrots, lettice, and prunes.

You should be fine to expand outward some. Broccoli is fine if its not slathered in butter.

#23 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

This may sound really simplistic... but I had terrible GERD and was on Protonix for more than a year. There were a few times when the pain in my "chest" (Iike near my sternum) was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack!! I lost 20 lbs... and the GERD disappeared. I was simply eating too much and eating too late.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#24 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

^ i went through that pain in the chest. I still have mine despite loosing weight (went from near 190 lbs to about 130). One of the biggest helpers is to eat at certain times throughout the day, eat smaller meals more frequently, and to avoid foods that set ya off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: