2 replies to this topic

#1 ll79

ll79

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi. I roommate made three batches of full gluten cupcakes on Thursday with me sitting in the living room. I didn't know she was baking. I just thought she was putting away her groceries. But nope, sure enough she was baking and pouring flour right there next to me. Even though I told her to let me know when she cooks with flour so that I can go down to my room. Anyways, its two days latter and I started feeling really nauseated, D, gassy, and major anxiety yesterday and it is worse today. Did her baking cause this reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

It sure is a possibility that the flour becoming airborne has effected you. But there is also the chance of utensils having some gluten still on them afterward, and you might have gotten glutened from that.

You didn't mention it, but you should have all your own dedicated gluten-free utensils and such, especially the kind which gluten can cling to.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Do you usually have a delayed reaction like this, or are your reactions more immediate?

If it's delayed for you more often, then I'd say it could definitely be an issue.

But usually, I'd agree with RiceGuy's supposition - if she is using flour, that dust gets everywhere. Unless everything nearby was cleaned thoroughly afterward, it could have gotten you - faucet handle, microwave or oven handle or burner knobs, toaster oven controls, drawer handles - it all tends to get a little messy when flour's in the air. :-(

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: