Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Roommate Cooking

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I roommate made three batches of full gluten cupcakes on Thursday with me sitting in the living room. I didn't know she was baking. I just thought she was putting away her groceries. But nope, sure enough she was baking and pouring flour right there next to me. Even though I told her to let me know when she cooks with flour so that I can go down to my room. Anyways, its two days latter and I started feeling really nauseated, D, gassy, and major anxiety yesterday and it is worse today. Did her baking cause this reaction?

Ads by Google:

It sure is a possibility that the flour becoming airborne has effected you. But there is also the chance of utensils having some gluten still on them afterward, and you might have gotten glutened from that.

You didn't mention it, but you should have all your own dedicated gluten-free utensils and such, especially the kind which gluten can cling to.

Do you usually have a delayed reaction like this, or are your reactions more immediate?

If it's delayed for you more often, then I'd say it could definitely be an issue.

But usually, I'd agree with RiceGuy's supposition - if she is using flour, that dust gets everywhere. Unless everything nearby was cleaned thoroughly afterward, it could have gotten you - faucet handle, microwave or oven handle or burner knobs, toaster oven controls, drawer handles - it all tends to get a little messy when flour's in the air. :-(