This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Soups

Lockheed

Lockheed Apprentice

Each year for my new year's resolution I set a goal to learn to cook something new. Last year it was beans and honestly I was a complete failure. I made split pea soup once with a ham bone which was fantastic but that was about it (so I'll have to repeat beans and lentils another year). This year I am more determined and my goal is soups. So if you would like to share, please post your favorite gluten free soup that you make. Tonight I am actually going to try to make vietnamese pho. The reason I picked soups is because I need to incorporate more veggies into my diet and soups just seemed like a wonderful way to do it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I still make all my favourite soups and just substitute (i.e. homemade chicken stock for purchased - many brands in Canada contain gluten). Except I don't make beef and barley! ;)

Too many gluten-free soups to post 'em all because I literally make about 25 kinds including roasted carrot with orange creme fraiche, lentil, roasted red pepper with tomato, vichyssoise, spring pea and asparagus, roasted butternut squash with pepitas and so on.

I'll post my top 5 when I next have a chance...

alex11602 Collaborator

Each year for my new year's resolution I set a goal to learn to cook something new. Last year it was beans and honestly I was a complete failure. I made split pea soup once with a ham bone which was fantastic but that was about it (so I'll have to repeat beans and lentils another year). This year I am more determined and my goal is soups. So if you would like to share, please post your favorite gluten free soup that you make. Tonight I am actually going to try to make vietnamese pho. The reason I picked soups is because I need to incorporate more veggies into my diet and soups just seemed like a wonderful way to do it.

If you wanted a really simple soup there is one that I adapted from a Taste of Home recipe that only has 4 main ingredients. The Taste of Home version was a creamy soup and my family is also dairy free.

Grandmother's Chowder

1 lb. ground beef

6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

1 16 oz package of corn

4 tsp chicken boullion

water

I browned the ground beef and then drained it really well then added the beef and the diced potatoes to 10 cups of water that had the 4 tsp of chicken boullion in it. I let the potatoes get slightly cooked then I added the corn and let everything heat up, I then added some ground black pepper to taste (you can add anything though). It was a good soup that was quick to make.

love2travel Mentor

Some of the following contain dairy but if anyone is looking for dairy-free soups I have billions (well, not quite)... :P

Baked Potato with Leek, Cheddar and Bacon:

Open Original Shared Link

Butternut Squash with Apple and Smoked Cheddar:

Creamy Roasted Mushroom:

Open Original Shared Link (of course just use gluten-free flour instead)

Pureed Carrot and Yam with Citrus and Spices:

Smoky Tomato with Maple Candied Bacon:

Spring Onion and Pea:

White Bean with Bacon and Herbs:

Spicy Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper:

Lockheed Apprentice

Oh these recipes are certainly after my own taste since half of them have either bacon or ham in them! Yum!! I'm loving all the replies already.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

This is one of my favorites: Open Original Shared Link

It works well with a whole chicken too instead of turkey. Also, check out her other recipes on that blog. They are all gluten free!

aeraen Apprentice

I like to incorporate soup at least once a week in my family menu. Not only is it easy to make gluten-free, but its cost efficient as well. And, in the arctic north here, it lovely to curl up on the sofa w/ a cup of hot soup on a blustery winter night.

We make our own stock, too, both because we know it will be gluten-free, and for cost reasons.

Last night I made Italian Wedding soup. Thats the only way I'm ever going to get spinich in my family's stomachs. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

Taco Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef

1 pack taco seasoning mix

onions, bell peppers, etc.

15 oz. can corn (undrained)

15 oz. can green beans (undrained)

15 oz. can kidney beans (undrained)

10 oz. can rotel tomatoes (undrained)

15 oz. can pinto beans (undrained)

15 oz. can ranch style beans (undrained)

1 large can V-8 juice

Directions:

In large pot, saut

zimmer Rookie

My just-about-all-time-favorite soup is avgolemono, which is Greek Egg & Lemon Soup. Super easy to make and so so yummy! This probably isn't a classic recipe but I was married to a Greek Cypriot and this is how he made it.

Ingredients are chicken / chicken stock, cooked rice, egg(s), lemon juice.

Cook a chicken in water to make a big pot full of good broth. Take out all the bones, strip the meat. Set aside - some goes back in the soup, and the rest is for whatever other use you can dream up.

Clean up the liquid - strain it if you like, skim the fat, etc. Let it cool a little.

Beat an egg in a bowl that will hold several cups of liquid. If you want a heartier soup, add another egg (or two). Slowly drizzle a cup of the stock into the egg, stirring constantly so the egg doesn't cook into solid pieces. Add another ladle-full, stirring constantly. Keep doing this until you have about 2 cups or so. Then add it back to the main pot. If you've done it correctly the soup will not have ribbons of cooked egg. It will be slightly thick and pale yellow.

Add lemon juice to taste - one juicy lemon is good. If you really like lemon, add more. Salt and pepper to taste. Add some of the cooked pieces of chicken.

Serve with a little cooked rice added to each bowl.

Sorry to not be very exact with amounts - it really is a forgiving recipe and you can make it to your own personal taste.

Marilyn R Community Regular

My just-about-all-time-favorite soup is avgolemono, which is Greek Egg & Lemon Soup. Super easy to make and so so yummy! This probably isn't a classic recipe but I was married to a Greek Cypriot and this is how he made it.

Ingredients are chicken / chicken stock, cooked rice, egg(s), lemon juice.

Cook a chicken in water to make a big pot full of good broth. Take out all the bones, strip the meat. Set aside - some goes back in the soup, and the rest is for whatever other use you can dream up.

Clean up the liquid - strain it if you like, skim the fat, etc. Let it cool a little.

Beat an egg in a bowl that will hold several cups of liquid. If you want a heartier soup, add another egg (or two). Slowly drizzle a cup of the stock into the egg, stirring constantly so the egg doesn't cook into solid pieces. Add another ladle-full, stirring constantly. Keep doing this until you have about 2 cups or so. Then add it back to the main pot. If you've done it correctly the soup will not have ribbons of cooked egg. It will be slightly thick and pale yellow.

Add lemon juice to taste - one juicy lemon is good. If you really like lemon, add more. Salt and pepper to taste. Add some of the cooked pieces of chicken.

Serve with a little cooked rice added to each bowl.

Sorry to not be very exact with amounts - it really is a forgiving recipe and you can make it to your own personal taste.

I think I'll love this soup! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain how to cook it!

• 8 months later...
love2travel Mentor

Another of my favourite soups by Jamie Oliver - this is mushroom. Simple and delicious! As it is now winter, wild mushrooms are tricky to find so of course just substitute with whatever you have.

sora Community Regular

This is my favorite soup. It comes out different every time you make it.

You can add whatever you want to this soup and it is always good.

A pot of stock (any kind, homemade or bought)

Seasonings (fit the seasoning to the meat/veg) beef/tomato is good with mexican or italian spices. I like thyme with poultry etc.

Don't forget garlic.

Be brave, experiment.

Meat/fish (Anything you have on hand.)

Veg (Always use onion, celery and carrot.) Add any veg in the house. Canned, frozen or fresh. I keep a plastic container in the freezer and add any leftover veg to it even if only a tablespoon and I always have some for soup.

Mix veg, corn, peas even broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, swiss chard and my fav, kale.

Pasta/rice/potato (Add near the end) Add salt after cooking the starch, it will absorb the salt.

I top it with finely chopped celery leaves, lots of it.

Taste often and add seasonings until you like it.

researchmomma Contributor

I am at work and supposed to be working but I love soups and this is a favorite so I had to post.

Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime

I do make some changes though:

I don't use water, I use all gluten-free chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon cuz it is so good) in place of chicken broth and water

I saute the onions, garlic and cumin before added the liquid

I add black beans when all done (but rinse em first!)

I don't make my own tortilla chips cuz I am lazy (I get gluten free ones from our local mexcian place)

Serve with sour cream, cilantro (coriander for you Europeans), green onion tops, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.

So I started with the epicurios recipe and changed it up a bit. It is super easy and really good.

It is a crowd pleaser and is my tradition SuperBowl meal. My kids love it too

love2travel Mentor

Another great recipe:

Chestnut & Mushroom Soup

Adapted from Chocolate & Zucchini, by Clotilde Dusoulier (Broadway Books, 2007)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons olive oil

2 small shallots - sliced

1 clove hard neck garlic - minced

1 leek - white parts only - trimmed, cut in 1/2-inch slices, and rinsed

3 tablespoons Zinfandel vinegar

1 15-ounce peeled and cooked, vacuum-packed chestnuts

1 pound cremini mushrooms - brushed clean and stems cut off

a pinch chili powder

6 cups vegetable stock

sea salt to taste

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

flat-leaf parsley for garnish

freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and leek. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until softened. Deglaze with vinegar.

2. Pat chestnuts dry with a paper towel. Add chestnuts to pot and cook for 4 minutes, gently stirring occasionally, until chestnuts are lightly golden.

3. Slice all mushrooms but two, and add them to the pot. Add chili powder if desired. Pour in the stock and season with salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, lower the heat to a medium-low, and cook for 20-30 minuted, until the vegetables are soft.

4. Let the soup cool for a few minutes. Puree the soup until the soup is smooth with just a few remaining chunks. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Reheat and ladle into bowls. Cut the reserved mushrooms in slices, and chop the parsley leaves roughly. Place a mushroom slice on the surface of each bowl, sprinkle with parsley and a touch of freshly ground pepper and serve.

serves 4-6

love2travel Mentor

...and one more...

Hungarian Goulash or Paprikash (the authentic thing is more like soup than stew)

This recipe is adapted from The Bakery Restaurant Cookbook by Lois Szathmary (CBI Publishing, 1981)

Ingredients:

2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes

Sea Salt

freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1/2 cup lard, duck fat, or chicken fat

2-1/2 to 3 cups onions, peeled and finely chopped

2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika

1 tablespoons cornstarch, arrowroot, white rice flour, whatever starch you like

3 cup water or beef stock

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon caraway seed, slightly bruised

2 cups sour cream (if served as "Paprikash")

Directions:

1. Season meat with Salt and additional black pepper.

2. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the lard to the smoking point. Brown the meat in the lard, turning with a spatula so that it browns on all sides. Add onions and cook until they become limp. Sprinkle the paprika and starch over the meat and onions. Cook for 2 minuted on low heat, stirring to keep the mixture from sticking.

3. Add the water or beef stock, tomato paste, and caraway seed. Stir. Simmer covered over low heat for 1-1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Check occasionally to see if there is enough liquid; add more if necessary.

4. Serve from a large casserole. If it is served as "Paprikash", serve it with the sour cream on the side in a saucepan.

Note: If possible, use imported Hungarian or Spanish Paprika; They will give authentic flavor. But if you can't get either, add 1/4 teaspoon sugar to the paprika you are using.

love2travel Mentor

I am making this again on Sunday - lovely flavour!

Chipotle Bean Soup with Bacon (adapted from Dinner Tonight)

yield: serves 4, active time 20 minutes, total time 30 minutes

Ingredients:

2 slices bacon, chopped

Two 15-ounce cans of black beans, with liquid

1 cup chicken broth (of course homemade is best)

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 white onion, chopped, divided

2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo (if you can find gluten-free; I cannot so I make my own)

2 tablespoons adobo sauce from can

1 teaspoon cumin, ground

1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (much different from Greek)

salt and pepper

crema or sour cream

2 limes, quartered

Add the chopped bacon to a large pot set over medium-low heat. Cook until bacon pieces are crisp. Remove pieces with a slotted spoon, leaving as much bacon fat behind as possible. Turn off heat and drain bacon pieces on paper towels.

While bacon cooks, add the black beans, their liquid, chicken stock, one chipotole chile, and the adobo sauce to a blender. Process until smooth. Add the the garlic, half of the onion, cumin, oregano, and a pinch of salt. Puree again until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Turn the heat of the pot to medium and pour in the pureed bean mixture. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the soup thickens and darkens, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the beans don't stick to the bottom. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped onion, sliced chipotle, crema, and fresh lime juice.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

How do you make pho?

love2travel Mentor

How do you make pho?

This is one of the recipes I use. I am away from home for a week so do not have access to my tons of culinary books but this is a start for you!

This is another...

Archived