11 replies to this topic

#1 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well I'm back on this forum after a long absence and it's so wonderful to return and see familiar posters and such great intelligent information being shared.

I was gluten free along with so many other intolerances-- soy, dairy, oxalates, nightshades etc. for 5 1/2 years and never cheated once.
Moved to CA and got so sick and found a new Dr. who didn't think old celiac respults were accurate and of course did all the standard GI tests.

He came up with microscopic colitis and put me on Asacol and it really helped and then had 3 bouts of C-diff caused by medication for H-pylori stomach ulcer. He said to just watch diet as I was ďgluten intolerant and see if I have any specific food issues and if so cut them from the diet.

After the move from Pa to CA and eating gluten and all the other 'foods' with no intestinal issues, I'm finding that the depression is just over whelming. Of course, I attributed it all onto the move adjustment and stopping smoking, Went on Wellbutrin to help with smoking and depression. I got off that as it didnít agree with me. My internist (I do not like) put me on Savella for fibro pain and depression and now weaning myself off that.

Well a dear old friend on here suggested I try going gluten free again for 2 weeks and see if there is a difference in the depression so ...........I'm back...............
It's just been 2 days but fibro pain seems worse so i guess it will just take time for body to adjust. I have eaten gluten but also gluten-free foods over the past year so maybe 50-50- I'm find digestive wise Iím fine--which sure wasn't the case even going gluten-free and other sensitivities. I should have known.............a little gluten is still gluten.

Hope this post makes sense. Even was reading threads about depression, anxiety and ringing in the ears which I just thought were the meds. Seems I need to do some serious reading here. I did read and post on one thread on depression here.

Thanks for listening.
Judy

Judy in Southern CA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

Well I'm back on this forum after a long absence and it's so wonderful to return and see familiar posters and such great intelligent information being shared.

Welcome back :D

I think it's a very good idea to revisit the gluten free diet now that you have the MC under control to see if that might ease some of the anxiety and fibro pain.

My anxiety lessened a great deal, but it was a gradual process. Hopefully someone more familiar with fibro will weigh in.

There is a ton of info in the archives--let us know if you need anything ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

Welcome back :D

I think it's a very good idea to revisit the gluten free diet now that you have the MC under control to see if that might ease some of the anxiety and fibro pain.

My anxiety lessened a great deal, but it was a gradual process. Hopefully someone more familiar with fibro will weigh in.

There is a ton of info in the archives--let us know if you need anything ;)

Thanks so much Patti--your always there for us.
I'm sure that this depression is gluten related but time will tell about the fibro issues. I know when gluten free I was always sharing that the gluten-free diet helped
;)
Judy in Southern CA

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi Judy, Depression can definately be associated with gluten and when it is we often get no relief from the meds that doctors give us. Since you had been back on gluten for a while you may experience withdrawl which can give us depressive symptoms also so hang in there. Hopefully the cloud will lift soon. For me is was like an overnight sort of thing. I woke up on morning and the depression was gone, only to return when I get glutened. Fortunately when I get glutened it lifts now really quickly. I also got great relief from my fibro and that is another thing that only appears now when glutened but it last a couple weeks before going away again.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi Judy, Depression can definately be associated with gluten and when it is we often get no relief from the meds that doctors give us. Since you had been back on gluten for a while you may experience withdrawl which can give us depressive symptoms also so hang in there. Hopefully the cloud will lift soon. For me is was like an overnight sort of thing. I woke up on morning and the depression was gone, only to return when I get glutened. Fortunately when I get glutened it lifts now really quickly. I also got great relief from my fibro and that is another thing that only appears now when glutened but it last a couple weeks before going away again.

HI young "OLD" friend
Saw you posted on the other thread but was hoping you'd post here
I agree i think with getting rid of gluten ...the fibro improvement will take some time.

Also have sleep apena and went to see a new sleep study dr as in CA need new DX and study for supplies, Saw him yesterday and he thinks supplies are old and not doing the job and gave me a chin strap and this am woke up feeling alot better b/c i got better quality sleep
Thanks for your comments.
love re connecting again. We always seem to have alot in common.
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

HI young "OLD" friend

?Young? Gee I haven't been called that in a longggg time. :D
Glad to hear you got some help with the sleep issue. Hopefully between getting a better quality sleep and the diet you will soon be leaping from your bed in the morning ready to take on whatever the day throws at you.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

:lol: :P B) Loved that
Yep, I'm hoping for the time that I can hop out of bed and look forward to the day. It's been awhile since that happened but today was really better and even cleaned the house some.

The drepression is keeping me "Down" but not chained to the potty like the years i was still gluten-free and mis dx'd. I wondered how many people have had this happen to them. Maybe i should do a poll.
Judy in Southern CA

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hello Judy
I wondered where you were! I was in Philly last fall & I tried to call your phone number!!! no wonder Ididn't get you .. How did you make it to Ca? I'm glad you have found some hope in your dx's but I agree you should try the gluten-free to see if it helps.It can only be a win win for you. You already know the ropes & maybe in Ca. you will have better options for gluten-free goodies...For me, if I was told I could have gluten foods again I would not go back... anymore our food chain is just polluted with crap so I think we actually eat more healthy with the gluten-free style not as much junk stuff....
So I guess I shouldn't ask if you miss the Philly snow!!!
Glad toknow you are okay...

blessings

mamaw (sande)

#9 Hawthorn

Hawthorn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hello :)

I can't comment on the fibro, but the depression I do know something about.

I have had depression for all of my adult life, in varying degrees. Some of those degrees so severe that it required hospitalisation.

The meds, hefty doses, helped only little.

Gluten free diet? Almost normal. I cope much better with life in general, and have only been suicidal when on a gluten challenge. That hit me like a brick.
The depression and anxiety is so much better off the gluten, that I am in the process of weaning myself off the medication that I have lived on for years, with no ill effects moodwise (and I'm almost done now, one small tablet every three days, just to deal with the headspins etc)

All of the times I was hospitalised, nobody ever mentioned Coeliacs/food intolerances. The closest they got was a thyroid test I think. It makes me wonder too, how many people are in a living hell with depression with no need to be.

#10 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hopefully between getting a better quality sleep and the diet you will soon be leaping from your bed in the morning ready to take on whatever the day throws at you.

This is the day I'm so looking forward to :rolleyes:

Hello Judy
I wondered where you were! I was in Philly last fall & I tried to call your phone number!!! no wonder Ididn't get you .. How did you make it to Ca? I'm glad you have found some hope in your dx's but I agree you should try the gluten-free to see if it helps.It can only be a win win for you. You already know the ropes & maybe in Ca. you will have better options for gluten-free goodies...For me, if I was told I could have gluten foods again I would not go back... anymore our food chain is just polluted with crap so I think we actually eat more healthy with the gluten-free style not as much junk stuff....
So I guess I shouldn't ask if you miss the Philly snow!!!
Glad toknow you are okay...

blessings

mamaw (sande)

Sande so nice to hear from you. How was your Philly trip? We moved after 31 Years in PA to CA b/c our son is living here and has said he will not be moving back East so we sold everything and took a 2 week road trip and stayed with Jim's Mom for a few weeks, rented a apt and found a house.
The adjustment to S Calif has had it's challanges and finding new Drs has sure been one of them. Thanks for caring and for you imput on this
I am seeing and RA Wed so maybe i can get some help with pain issues with the fibro.
Nice to reconnect with you

Hello :)

I can't comment on the fibro, but the depression I do know something about.

I have had depression for all of my adult life, in varying degrees. Some of those degrees so severe that it required hospitalisation.

The meds, hefty doses, helped only little.

Gluten free diet? Almost normal. I cope much better with life in general, and have only been suicidal when on a gluten challenge. That hit me like a brick.
The depression and anxiety is so much better off the gluten, that I am in the process of weaning myself off the medication that I have lived on for years, with no ill effects moodwise (and I'm almost done now, one small tablet every three days, just to deal with the headspins etc)

All of the times I was hospitalised, nobody ever mentioned Coeliacs/food intolerances. The closest they got was a thyroid test I think. It makes me wonder too, how many people are in a living hell with depression with no need to be.

Thanks so much for your caring responce.
It's sure worth a try again
Judy in Southern CA

#11 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

HI all

Gluten-free is helping some but realizing that the CPAP hasn't been working correctly and had a sleep study done again so I could get new supplies.
The sleep study test in the office was usless as I never showed the apena I've had for 11 years so wouldn't qualify for the supplies. Now they want me to use a test machine at home "'where I'll be more comfortable" but it will be 2 nites with-out the CPAP support and really concerned as the oxygen level went to low 80's during the study.

I guess sleep deprivation has been a big part of this depression and pain issue.
Anyone else out there on CPAP mask for sleep apena?
Oye, seems we're back on the journey of seeking answers again along with new Drs.
All of this is getting so old...........as am I :blink:
Judy in Southern CA

#12 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Have you tried fermented cod liver oil? We're finding that it helps with mood.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: