This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seattle Westin

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter will be going there for a dance convention and we will be staying there. Yes, we are not that far away but after going to the convention in Bellevue and not being able to get enough sleep from the commute time, we opted just to stay.

They do have a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast and lunch. Not sure if it will be open on Sunday. The menu for that place was not online. It did say that they have salads and burgers. Not sure if it will be open on Sunday. The hotel in Bellevue was pretty much shut down on Sunday. At least the food places. So anyway, a burger patty and maybe a salad is an option. Not really sure. Also not sure how busy they will be since we will all be scrambling for lunch at the same time.

They have an expensive seafood restaurant there for dinner. We don't eat seafood. Husband does. He could eat there. The only things I see on the menu that we could possibly eat are the fry wedges (not sure how they are cooked) and perhaps a salad with a bunch of stuff left off.

The information on the website for the hotel does say they offer room service and I think it is round the clock. I am hoping perhaps they will have a different menu with something suitable.

Cooking in the room is not an option. We will be so busy come dinner time we will probably only have time to go up to the room, eat quickly then go watch the show. This is another reason we are staying. The shows go on till 11:30 at night and daughter really wants to see them.

Does anyone know of any restaurants near there that deliver or are within walking distance that would be suitable? I tried to do a search online and came up with a PF Changs but to me they don't look that close. I haven't actually been to Seattle for a long time so I don't know the street layout and such.

I have packed a bag of shelf stable foods and by the time we go will probably come up with some more things. We will have a small fridge but I don't want to take too much that will have to go in there because it might not actually hold much.

So far I have packed (and keep in mind this is for three people and husband does not have food issues), Synders gluten-free pretzels, single serve hummus, Rice Chex, Sports Beans (jelly beans), single serve cookies and crackers (not gluten-free), single serve peanuts, Vienna sausages, bean/corn salad, Heinz beans, canned green beans, single serve pickles, processed cheese wedges, fruit snacks, beef jerky, mandarin oranges, diced pears, applesauce and granola bars. Will probably also bring some corn chips and cheese and bean dip. Also have some boxes of milk. And we'll have some beverages. I know I can probably get those there but at least if I bring some with me it will be cheaper.

The afternoon that we arrive will bring some sandwiches and raw veggies and fruit to eat as soon as we hit the room. We will need to eat an early dinner.

If worst comes to worst, we should have enough food for the three of us for the weekend. Husband doesn't have any food issues and will likely get bored so he can just go wherever and get something for himself. But he will likely dig into our food for snacks.

Can you think of anything else I might bring with me? Or do you know of any places around there where I can get suitable food? Even if it's only steamed white rice, that would add to our variety. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Does anyone know of any restaurants near there that deliver or are within walking distance that would be suitable? I tried to do a search online and came up with a PF Changs but to me they don't look that close.

I think it's about a block away in Westlake Center.

Juliebove Rising Star

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Jestgar Rising Star

Double check before you go. I rarely go to WLC and only vaguely remember seeing it there....but I think so...

Juliebove Rising Star

Double check before you go. I rarely go to WLC and only vaguely remember seeing it there....but I think so...

Okay, thanks!

iamsarar Rookie

PF Changs is IN the Westlake center. Ate there last week. Very good!

iamsarar Rookie

Also Cinnamon Works which is outside of Pikes Place Market has Gluten free and Vegan baked goods. Across the street from Sur La Table.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Also Cinnamon Works which is outside of Pikes Place Market has Gluten free and Vegan baked goods. Across the street from Sur La Table.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

We survived the convention. Didn't get the refrigerator as promised. There was a mini bar in the room but we couldn't put anything in it because there are sensors in it. Next time I will bring a hard sided cooler. That is what the other people did. I didn't bring much that needed refrigerated but I did have to throw out the baby carrots.

We were able to order a very good (but expensive) meal from room service. I did have to ask for some things to be left off of daughter's and my meals. Very good food! Husband had a salmon salad which most likely would have worked for us as well but we don't like salmon. There were rolls. We just didn't eat those.

I got our lunch from the cafe in the restaurant. Again had to have them leave some stuff off. Normally would have had them leave more off (stuff we didn't like) but they were swamped and I didn't want any more confusion that they already had. So I just had them leave off the allergens and we picked off what we didn't want.

The gift shop sold food we could eat. They had the shelf stable hummus that we brought. We wound up not even eating that.

Husband went to Taco Del Mar for lunch. Yes, we could have eaten there. However... I did not trust him to get food for us. He doesn't understand our allergies and even if I wrote down exactly what it was we wanted, he wouldn't have gotten it right.

I forgot to put a snack in daughter's dance bag the first night. So I asked husband to bring her one when he went up to the room. Then I quickly added to bring her a Fruit Snack or some Sports Beans. Both were prepackaged and said exactly that on the bags.

The problem? Our room was in the South Tower and the convention was in the North Tower. So to get from one place to another you have to go down to the lobby, catch another elevator and then go back up or down. And there were just not enough elevators to accomodate us.

So... He went to the gift shop and bought a bag of apricots. Daughter hates apricots and so do I. So those wouldn't do. They did have Skittles and Starburst or plain Lays potato chips. Those things would have been fine.

He did eventually get up to the room but grabbed a peanut granola bar that I brought for my breakfast. Daughter is allergic to peanuts.

Third time's a charm? This time he brought her a bag of fresh apple slices. If not eaten we would have had to throw those out. But I didn't really want her eating more apples because she had those for dinner. But she did eat some because she was hungry and then they gave her an upset stomach. And a headache because I think she didn't eat or drink enough.

We were more prepared the next two days. Brought gluten-free pretzels, a gluten-free apple bar, Sports Beans and a Fruit Snack. Mostly she just ate the pretzels. She didn't like the Sports Beans very much.

Daughter wanted to eat at the seafood restaurant there on Sunday but they are closed on Sunday. She doesn't even really like seafood. She just liked the hotel!

The only real problem we had was getting our stuff to the room. They do not allow you to take the luggage cart without a bellhop being with you. So we had to wait a long time for the bellhop and the cart because so many people were checking in all at once. I noticed most people had soft sided wheeled coolers that they brought. I will have to look at those. If they have a plastic insert, they might work. I would just hesitate to put ice in anything that might leak.

Daughter didn't win a scholarship but... There were over 40 dance studios there and a lot of people who were obviously more advanced than she is. But she had a really good time!

Archived