This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problem With P F Chang?

mbrookes

mbrookes Community Regular

Yesterday I ate from the gluten free menu at P F Chang's. I had their version of General Tso's chicken (can't remember what they called it) Within two hours I realized something was very wrong.

I had not eaten anything except frpm my own gluten free kitchen for several days, so I'm sure that was the source.

Has anyone else had a problem there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JSegura226 Apprentice

Yesterday I ate from the gluten free menu at P F Chang's. I had their version of General Tso's chicken (can't remember what they called it) Within two hours I realized something was very wrong.

I had not eaten anything except frpm my own gluten free kitchen for several days, so I'm sure that was the source.

last week, the day before I realized I needed whole foods to start my gluten-free diet, my wife and I decided to order take out from PF chang's gluten-free menu. We ordered gluten-free chicken fried rice, and the gluten-free lemon scallops. This was our first attempt at ordering gluten-free foods from a restraunt.. well long story short.. they gave me low mein instead of chicken fried rice and slapped a GLUTEN FREE sticker on it!! I looked at the menu and realized low mein was not even on the gluten-free menu... My wife went back, got our rice and came back home saying that the waiter apologized over and over and explained that the chef handed him the wrong plate. They claim they have a high standard in gluten-free and allergy protocols but after googling some reviews I don't think I will ever go back.

I did end up eating the rice and had some of the worst cramps and belly aches I have ever experienced.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

I was GLUTENED horribly by the Manhattan Beach, CA location about a year ago. I wrote them a letter just after, but haven't been back yet.

I think that corporate cares about us Celiacs, but the servers are uneducated about what gluten does to us.

Darissa Contributor

We eat at PFChangs all the time. We live in Arizona, and have had no problems, but we have also eaten at the resturants in California, Utah, Missouri and other states. Please try again. Normally they are very careful. Gluten free dishes should all come out on a round plate, that says PFChangs right on the plate. It is a different plate than the regular dishes come out on. Please try again! It is our number 1 go to resturant, especially when traveling. I hope your next experience is better!

mbrookes Community Regular

I called and talked to the manager. He went over thye steps that they take to assure safety, and I do realize that sometimes accidents happen. He promised to talk to the staff again about the importance of keeping food strictly separate.

I will try again. I had eaten there before with no problem.

hnybny91 Rookie

If it were not for PF Changs I would probably never eat out. I have been there numerous times since going gluten free three months ago and never had a problem. So sorry you had a bad experience :(

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

So sorry you had a bad experience :(

A bad experience is.... well... bad. But when someone (or corporation) fumbles, it's good that there are SO many passionate Celiacs who take the time to write to the company or even speak to the manager. It gives them an opportunity to improve. In fact, I can guarantee that the plate/shape policy for all Gluten Free items was a result from a number of complaints. Hence, they changed their ways.

So, keep eating at PF Chang's these days. But if someone gives you a time machine to go back the era when they didn't take it so serious or get enough complaints from their customers... don't go back in time.

Guess I was one of the guinea pigs for the team!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
HS7474 Apprentice

Aww, so sorry it didn't go well! I adore PF Changs and have not had an issue there yet, myself. I believe I've been twice while gluten-free. My husband does not eat gluten-free and even though he ordered an item that appeared on the gluten-free menu, when I asked the waitress if it was she apologized and said it was not and would we like one that was. I had only wanted to taste so did refuse but she certainly seemed well trained on the issue. Better luck eating out next time! It's always so frustrating when it doesn't work out :(

jena829 Newbie

I love PF Change gluten-free, but it is so sad how they can't be consistent at varying locations. :( The Austin, TX PF Change is wonderful, but reading the above posts makes me nervous to check out another!

• 2 months later...
shayre Enthusiast

I've had good experiences in Indianpolis too. They are also my #1 restaurant. I order take out twice per month. I did get glutened once, but I didn't know if it was glutened or food intolerance. What happened was that I was dining in the restaurant and the wait staff and manager told me that the gluten-free calamari was safe for me. I told her that I didn't have that option before. She assured me that it was safe. When it was brought out...it had these little crunchy sticks all over the calamari. I shrieked, and went to get the manager. Again...she assured me that they were safe and made from rice. I ate it up! It was soooo yummy. Then I got sick. I didn't know exactly why. I dropped it and never ordered anything different again. Then one day I called up for carry out, and it's usually the same girl. I don't even have to say my name anymore...she remembers the "gluten-free df sf girl". Well, I ordered the gluten-free calamari again for my hubby. She thought that it was for me and said..."oh no! That's not safe for you!" What? I said "hmmm the manager told me that it was safe when I had it before". She said asked me if I got sick? YEP!!! I don't know why the confusion there? Anyway, I only order the same thing everytime and I'm never sick. Btw...if you need to be gluten, dairy and soy free. The only thing that you can eat is the lemon chicken with broccoli. I order it with brown rice and sub snow peas for broccoli. It is yummy. I order off of the gluten-free menu but tell them to mark down soy and dairy allergy too. 9 times out of 10 they still put wrapped fortune cookies and gluten-free soy sauce in the bag. I guess that you can't expect perfection...

kareng Grand Master

They put the fortune cookies in because people complain that they want the fortune, even if they can't eat the cookie.

ECUmom3 Explorer

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. PF Chang's is my go to restaurant (however, I have only eaten at one location). If it were not for them I don't know what I would do. With that being said, it could be that your GI system is very sensitive to spicy foods. I know that is the case with me. I've been gluten-free for several months and still cannot tolerate spicy food, tomatoes, or watermelon. I guess it just takes time to heal. I hope that you will give them another try.

Archived