13 replies to this topic

#1 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

So I am gluten-free about 7 months. Have been on a very low carb diet and started drinking soy milk (organic/non gmo) and my neuro symptoms seem to have gone rampant. So today, I am making breakfast for my husband, a toasted english muffin with almond butter. I dropped the almond butter onto each half so I wouldn't contaminate the almond butter...I spread it with the spoon and promptly PUT THE SPOON IN MY MOUTH AND ATE THE LEFTOVERS on the spoon.
So, no stomach symptoms but every nerve in my body is screaming. Toe, heels, fingers, wrists, tongue, tips of ears, tip of my nose. My shins feel like I have the worst shinsplints.
I am so irritated. I have stopped dairy, soy, most grains to try to get better but instead I am sliding horrendously backwards.
Just venting. Crappy crappy horrible day. Anxiety is huge.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

So sorry you are dealing with that!! I'm assuming it just didn't occur to you until after you did it. I actually have nightmares of eating something I shouldn't and then trying to do everything I can to get it back out.
Suzanna

#3 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

Stuck the spoon in my mouth, ate the stuff and then literally started SWEARING.
I have had those dreams! Lat week I dreamt that I was at my niece's house and she was giving me belgian waffles and cake and I didn't want to eat it but did anyway.
It is just so frustrating because the Dr's don't know what to do (not blaming them at all but it is a fact) and I don't SEEM to have any more vitamin deficiencies.
Luckily my husband/family/co-workers are super understanding. I cannot imagine what it would be like if they didn't believe me...

Thanks for the sympathy!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Yep, been there done that. Old habits die hard and licking the spoon is something we learned at our mother's knee. :D Feel better soon!!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

This was a hard habit to break for me when making gluttony PB&J for kid. Today I almost ate the blob of jelly that fell off the bread.

What helps is that I don't lick the spoon or scrape off the plate or the knife even for my own jar of PB to break the habit.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

I've had to stop myself from licking my fingers on numerous occasions. Habits like that are so hard to break. I'm just washing my hands an awful lot nowadays.

I'm guessing that it's just something you have to ride out. Man, I wish there were a way to reverse the consequences somehow. But with autoimmune, I think there is little anyone can do. Hopefully, it'll all be over in a matter of days, which will probably *feel* like months. (((Hugs)))
Suzanna

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

dont feel dumb- i could totally imagine me doing that, but hope i dont.

i just had my 1st nightmare about a month ago- where i ate gluten and only realized after.

hilarious
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#8 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

dont feel dumb- i could totally imagine me doing that, but hope i dont.

i just had my 1st nightmare about a month ago- where i ate gluten and only realized after.

hilarious

Ha, yeah. My recurring nightmare was having some "nibblies" from a bowl at a party. I'd do that without thinking when I was dieting (to lose weight), I guess my subconcsious didn't trust me not to do it after I went gluten free.

And one time I dreamed I was being chased by cupcakes on little legs.

adab8ca, I'm so sorry you feel so bad, I hope that goes soon. It's a totally understandable mistake to have made, I'm sure I'd have done the same if my place wasn't entirely gluten free. Feel better! And no more kicking yourself :-)

#9 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

That's awful! Convert him to gluten free english muffins?
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#10 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

I did that before.....so sorry! hope your reactions isn't to bad. I had to start asking my husband to make his own sandwiches because I wasn't thinking and would lick the knife. I wear gloves now so I won't lick my fingers. It helps a lot :)

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

That's awful! Convert him to gluten free english muffins?

eeew. haha - so far i haven't found any english muffins that don't turn to goo. trying to find a good recipe!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

I did that before.....so sorry! hope your reactions isn't to bad. I had to start asking my husband to make his own sandwiches because I wasn't thinking and would lick the knife. I wear gloves now so I won't lick my fingers. It helps a lot :)

me too! it helped so much in the winter weather b/c i didn't have to wash my hands every two seconds - they're the kind they use in restaurants (disposable) and latex-free :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#13 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

me too! it helped so much in the winter weather b/c i didn't have to wash my hands every two seconds - they're the kind they use in restaurants (disposable) and latex-free :)

I, too, use gloves after I came close to licking my fingers too often. And I'm paranoid that I'll miss something if I just wash them.

Also, I noticed that after I had guests over (don't normally have gluten in the house) that my fingers itched and broke out in bumps which was a new symptom/problem. Perhaps I'm also allergic to wheat. So I wear gloves whenver...
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#14 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

And one time I dreamed I was being chased by cupcakes on little legs.

Ha! This is great! I have gluten filled nightmares from time to time (like, $#!*!! I just accidentally ate a twix!), but my food has never animated.
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: