This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cc - Pots And Pans

dube

dube Contributor

Just read somewhere in the forom to beware of cc with wooden spoons and nonstick pans....why? I hope this isn't a stupid question? What kinds of utensils/pans should someone use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

adab8ca Enthusiast

Just read somewhere in the forom to beware of cc with wooden spoons and nonstick pans....why? I hope this isn't a stupid question? What kinds of utensils/pans should someone use?

I think the non stick pans and wood can be scratched, so if they are used with gluten containing food, the chance of cross contamination can he high

PS there ARE no stupid questions when it comes to this! we are all here to learn and help each other, so never worry about that

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Wooden spoons are porous and so are wooden cutting boards so there is no way to get the gluten out of those.

Stainless steel pans can be cleaned really well, but teflon that is scratched tend to hold on to gluten and some have found it makes them ill later. Collanders can not be cleaned in all the little holes and they can gluten you too. These are some of the ways people have found that they get CC after they have gone gluten free.

sa1937 Community Regular

I replace a lot of stuff when I went gluten-free. I also bought a new toaster and several baking pans as I knew I'd never be able to get them clean. Not everything has to be expensive either (think Wal-Mart or the dollar store). I scrubbed my Calphalon hard anodized cookware well and kept it but did buy an inexpensive set of new non-stick cookware.

Parchment paper or aluminum foil works well on cookie sheets, etc. I also ditched a lot of old Tupperware that just wouldn't have been safe to use. I bought a set of 3 new wooden spoons at the dollar store for $1.00. Besides buying a new colander, I also got a new strainer. Heck, I'm still buying new things but think I deserve them since I cook and bake a lot more than I used to (especially baking). :D

dube Contributor

Really...cross contamination is that strong! Ive use the same toaster as my family...same pots...same colindar....really...wow...I am shocked. CC effects people that much....maybe that's my problem...boy do I feel like an idiot now! lol!!!! You ladies are great!

sa1937 Community Regular

Really...cross contamination is that strong! Ive use the same toaster as my family...same pots...same colindar....really...wow...I am shocked. CC effects people that much....maybe that's my problem...boy do I feel like an idiot now! lol!!!! You ladies are great!

No need to feel like an idiot! We all learn a lot by reading this forum...things I never thought about before.

And yes, CC can get you very easily. I know some people think we're nuts but then, in my case at least, they didn't live in the bathroom like I did. So perhaps we get a bit OCD about it just trying to feel well.

Also, if you have a family and are the only one gluten-free in your home, do you have your own condiments? (butter, mayo, peanut butter and jelly, etc.)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

It is VERY easy to get CC from a kitchen where gluten eaters are also cooking. You will have to be very careful. I handed cookies to some kids and then ate my safe food and got really sick. Even a speck of flour on your hands can make you sick. If they cook with flour...it can hang in the air for a long time...I read somewhere it is like 24 hours....so if you breathe it in...it can go to your stomach by way of mouth or nose...and make you really sick. I didn't want to believe the CC would effect me that badly....but your own experience will tell you this is all true. Wash your hands with soap and water...not hand sanitizer...it does nothing about the gluten on your hands.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

It is VERY easy to get CC from a kitchen where gluten eaters are also cooking. You will have to be very careful. I handed cookies to some kids and then ate my safe food and got really sick. Even a speck of flour on your hands can make you sick. If they cook with flour...it can hang in the air for a long time...I read somewhere it is like 24 hours....so if you breathe it in...it can go to your stomach by way of mouth or nose...and make you really sick. I didn't want to believe the CC would effect me that badly....but your own experience will tell you this is all true. Wash your hands with soap and water...not hand sanitizer...it does nothing about the gluten on your hands.

resurecting the finger nail brush may not be a bad idea, as well.

Debbie B in MD Explorer

This all sounds like our house needs to be completely gluten-free. My non-affected son and husband can go out whenever and get some pizza or whatever. My daughter and I will eat in our safe gluten free environment. I think I need to go shopping!!!! Thanks for all of this wonderful help.

T.H. Community Regular

I am shocked. CC effects people that much....maybe that's my problem.

It's really kind of hard to think about it sometimes, you know? I have a friend whose little 2 year old has this disease, and the more they are cleaning, the more she finds how little an amount can get him. At first, he was getting into the dog food (being 2), and he'd get sick from that.

They got rid of the dog food, and he'd still get 'gluten sick' periodically, and they finally figured out that it was a spice mix they'd been using that doesn't technically have gluten ingredients, but must be cc'd to a point that it hurts him.

Then she ate a hamburger, drank from a straw, and shared the straw with him - he was in a high chair so he couldn't reach any other food, just touched the straw with his gluten eating mom. and got sick.

Then shared a cutting board that was used for gluten and got sick.

Then had mayonnaise that his family had used for their sandwiches and happened to dip the knives in after spreading mayo on their sandwich one time. And he got sick.

The more they eliminate, the more things they are finding that gluten the little guy, and I think the mom has been truly shocked how little can get him! For folks who have never had to deal with allergies or anything, it's really amazing that something we can't even see can do so much damage, isn't it?

I suppose it shouldn't be, I mean, we all know about germs and such, but thinking about food as the culprit always seems somehow wrong, ya know?

Archived