2 replies to this topic

#1 judysj

judysj

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

My son-in-law has been sick for several months...he actually started getting tested around the same time as me... last back in Sept. or Oct.

He was tested for celiac in November of last year by the same GI group that I went to who said IBS...Intestinal B--- S---. Sorry, but it just means there is something there but they don't know what it is. My GI didn't do/find anything but my M.D. did.

Anyway, back to my son-in-law.

Here were his test results. They did not give him actual numbers so he really has no way of knowing how close to the normal range he was/wasn't.

Test Results Range
Reticulin IgA Autoabs <1:10 titer <1:10 titer
Endomysial IgA Autoabs <1:10 titer <1:10 titer
Gliadin IgG Abs (HIGH) 14.7 U/mL <10.0 U/mL
Gliadin IgA Abs <5.0 U/mL <5.0 U/mL

Results from other tests:
(Endoscopy)
Grade I nonerosive esophagitis of the distal esophagus
Duodenitis of the distal duodenal bulb

(Colonoscopy)
Colitis of the rectum (What is colitis of the rectum? Isn't colitis colitis???)
Moderate non-bleeding internal hemorrhoids
Mild to moderate systemic disturbance that may or may not be related to the disorder requiring surgery (???)

I have other test results from him as well but don't know if they would be helpful...CBC and others

He has upper, mid, and lower stomach pain, indigestion, back pain, digestive issues including constipation and diarrhea. He has tried to do without dairy, wheat, etc. but without a doctor giving him any answers, he hasn's stayed with any of it long enough. He has been off dairy again for about a week and is getting ready to try to get off gluten. He's trying to get an appointment with my M.D. but he didn't have any openings until the end of May. I'm trying to see if he has any openings sooner.

Sorry this is so long but I am trying to help him figure out what is going on. While I have no clue if he may have celiac, his symptoms (didn't list them all) sound so much like the all the symptoms I had and still have at times.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

His anti-gliadin IgG was positive. All the other IgA tests run were negative. No other IgG test was done. They also did not do a total serum IgA, to see if he was a normal antibody producer, so you can't take any meaning from the IgA tests. The total serum IgA is run as a control to validate the other IgA tests. The fact that his only positive result was an IgG hints that he is a low producer of antibodies. Nor did they run the tissue transglutaminase (tTG), either IgA or IgG, nor the DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide), which is the newest test developed. I personally would like to see results of all those tests, the last two the IgG versions.

He has inflammation of the esophagus and the duodenum. Colitis of the rectum, I guess, as opposed to colitis of the colon. Your guess on systemic disturbance is as good as mine :P

What were his doctor's conclusions and findings?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 judysj

judysj

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

His anti-gliadin IgG was positive. All the other IgA tests run were negative. No other IgG test was done. They also did not do a total serum IgA, to see if he was a normal antibody producer, so you can't take any meaning from the IgA tests. The total serum IgA is run as a control to validate the other IgA tests. The fact that his only positive result was an IgG hints that he is a low producer of antibodies. Nor did they run the tissue transglutaminase (tTG), either IgA or IgG, nor the DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide), which is the newest test developed. I personally would like to see results of all those tests, the last two the IgG versions.

He has inflammation of the esophagus and the duodenum. Colitis of the rectum, I guess, as opposed to colitis of the colon. Your guess on systemic disturbance is as good as mine :P

What were his doctor's conclusions and findings?

There were no other findings except those listed. They said (based on the tests they did do) that he did not have celiac. I knew they told him he did not have it but tonight was the first time I actually saw the report and the tests they ran. I questioned them too. I really hope we can get him in to my doctor soon. I started a gluten free diet in May 2010 but did not have the tests until Sept. or Oct. but they were still positive. My M.D. is very good and seems to be very thorough and unlike many, he does not dismiss celiac. The G.I. group (he and I both saw) both said we just had IBS. I know for certain they were wrong with my diagnosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: