7 replies to this topic

#1 etta694

etta694

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

I am wondering, after googling and searching reviews on the net and not finding a definite answer (that I can afford), what (if you use one) do people prefer for a mill
1. for small amounts like 3 cups and under
2. for larger amounts

and if you use a Kitchenaid, what watt machine do you find handles the mill best?
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:48 AM

I use the Country Living grain mill. It is hand cranked so you save money on a motor. It only takes a few minutes to do a cup which is what I usually do, but sometimes I do several cups at a time too. It will do corn and beans as well as other grains. A lot of the other ones won't. When it came they had tested it with wheat and I had to send it back and get one tested with rice. If you get one, be sure to ask about that.

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

I use a dedicated blender to grind nuts. It's an Osterizer. It does about a quarter to a half cup of almonds at a time, very fast.

I have a little hand mortar and pestle I do buckwheat kasha in, but that's typically for one to two servings of flatbreads or pancakes, so it seems overkill to drag out another appliance for a tablespoon of something. :P

#4 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for posting dilettantesteph and Takala. I hope I get a few more different users of mills. I am curious about non-wheat users.
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

I don't have a grain mill per se but I do have an Osterizer blender that does a great job grinding flax seeds or nuts. It's fairly new and wasn't used much at all before I went gluten-free.

I also bought a Mr. Coffee grinder, which is a larger capacity with 3 different grind settings. It also does a great job on flax seeds and nuts. It completely comes apart for easy washing. I found it helpful in re-grinding some brown rice flour to make it finer (probably 1/2 cup capacity max). My older Krups has a small capacity and is used strictly for grinding coffee and that size would not be suitable for grinding larger amounts.

If I wanted to grind my own flour, I don't think either of those would be sufficient and I'd want a dedicated grain mill. HTH.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Kitchenaid attachment grain mill because I don't do huge amounts, just a couple of cups at a time. I am hoping someone who uses that will chime in....
Thanks sa1937.. the coffee mill is interesting..

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Kitchenaid attachment grain mill because I don't do huge amounts, just a couple of cups at a time. I am hoping someone who uses that will chime in....
Thanks sa1937.. the coffee mill is interesting..

I bought a KitchenAid stand mixer after going gluten-free. Never thought of looking at the grain mill attachment although I think it would be overkill for me, at least at this point. Good for me to keep in mind for the future.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the posts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: