Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Favorite Flour Mill

8 posts in this topic

I am wondering, after googling and searching reviews on the net and not finding a definite answer (that I can afford), what (if you use one) do people prefer for a mill

1. for small amounts like 3 cups and under

2. for larger amounts

and if you use a Kitchenaid, what watt machine do you find handles the mill best?

Ads by Google:

I use the Country Living grain mill. It is hand cranked so you save money on a motor. It only takes a few minutes to do a cup which is what I usually do, but sometimes I do several cups at a time too. It will do corn and beans as well as other grains. A lot of the other ones won't. When it came they had tested it with wheat and I had to send it back and get one tested with rice. If you get one, be sure to ask about that.

I use a dedicated blender to grind nuts. It's an Osterizer. It does about a quarter to a half cup of almonds at a time, very fast.

I have a little hand mortar and pestle I do buckwheat kasha in, but that's typically for one to two servings of flatbreads or pancakes, so it seems overkill to drag out another appliance for a tablespoon of something. :P

Thanks for posting dilettantesteph and Takala. I hope I get a few more different users of mills. I am curious about non-wheat users.

I don't have a grain mill per se but I do have an Osterizer blender that does a great job grinding flax seeds or nuts. It's fairly new and wasn't used much at all before I went gluten-free.

I also bought a Mr. Coffee grinder, which is a larger capacity with 3 different grind settings. It also does a great job on flax seeds and nuts. It completely comes apart for easy washing. I found it helpful in re-grinding some brown rice flour to make it finer (probably 1/2 cup capacity max). My older Krups has a small capacity and is used strictly for grinding coffee and that size would not be suitable for grinding larger amounts.

If I wanted to grind my own flour, I don't think either of those would be sufficient and I'd want a dedicated grain mill. HTH.

I'm thinking of getting the Kitchenaid attachment grain mill because I don't do huge amounts, just a couple of cups at a time. I am hoping someone who uses that will chime in....

Thanks sa1937.. the coffee mill is interesting..

I'm thinking of getting the Kitchenaid attachment grain mill because I don't do huge amounts, just a couple of cups at a time. I am hoping someone who uses that will chime in....

Thanks sa1937.. the coffee mill is interesting..

I bought a KitchenAid stand mixer after going gluten-free. Never thought of looking at the grain mill attachment although I think it would be overkill for me, at least at this point. Good for me to keep in mind for the future.

Thanks for the posts!