6 replies to this topic

#1 JSegura226

JSegura226

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:03 AM

Ok 2 weeks on the gluten-free diet and today I think I ate more than I ever have in my life ( and I am still hungry!!).. been eating tons and tons of animal protein with veggies, brown rice, Snacking on 200 calorie Larabars and brown rice crackers dipped in Almond butter...

now my question is, has anybody ever experienced a spike in testosterone when going gluten-free?? My sex drive has diminished rapidly over the last 2 years to almost none existent and I have never been an aggresive/hot tempered man. I'm usually abnormally tranquil.. Well today I felt what could only be described as roid rage all day and my sex drive shot through the roof. All within 24 hours...My wife and I are little wierded out... My dog was misbehaving (would not stop barking at people through the window ) today and I had to go for a walk just to calm down because I wanted to put the poor little guys head through the wall. I just felt super super aggressive and felt like fighting. My Fuse for the last 48 hours has been really short and I have been blowing up at people for little to no reason.. Also my energy surged around 2pm today and I still have not come down yet.. I have been up for almost 17 hours and I am still not tired.72 hours ago I could barely get out of bed and walk to the shower without feeling like I was going to pass out.. Has anybody ever felt a change in body chemistry this fast after going gluten-free?
Stomach pains and nausea since birth-Doctors considered Bulimia, Anorexia, other Neurological problems
Insomnia as a child and Night Terrors from age 5-14
Dx with Scoliosis at age 6
Performance in School declined immensely from grades 4th-12th
Foggy memory, Lack of concentration, and Slowed physical development from ages 4-20
Dx with ADD at age 14-Ritalin prescribed-taken for only 2 months
Scoliosis Bar and fusion and Chiari 1 Malformation Surgery at Age 17
Dx Celiac April '11
Gluten,Soy,Milk,Corn,GMO free starting 3/28/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

The mood issues may be from withdrawl and if they are they should pass fairly soon as long as you keep being strict. Although I am not a male I do know that celiac can mess with hormones, and we all have both testosterone and estrogen just differing levels depending on whether you are male or female. I also noticed my sex drive return after I had been gluten free for a bit, annoying for me because I am single. :blink: That also leveled off after a while. Since you are married perhaps you can take advantage of that side effect and it might help to level off your moodiness a bit. It does sound like you are on the road to healing. If you are taking B vitamins you may want to take them in the morning. It may not be the case for you but for myself taking them later in the day would give me a surge of energy and make it hard to sleep when I was in the early stages of healing. This was particularly the case for the sublingual B12.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Uh, yes... big time. Simpatico. It was a bit disconcerting at first but it is nice to feel like a teenager again...only now without the zits...

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

Yup...Sex drive returned!! a little too late.
AFTER my husband divorced me for being sick so many years. :huh:
Where can I find a recovering male Celiac? :unsure:

But in all seriousness, yes the recovery process hits your hormones too....but things will level out eventually. I hope.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#5 JSegura226

JSegura226

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Ok well good to know that the hormones start going haywire lol. Guess this post is for everybody then.. My mistake ladies B)
Stomach pains and nausea since birth-Doctors considered Bulimia, Anorexia, other Neurological problems
Insomnia as a child and Night Terrors from age 5-14
Dx with Scoliosis at age 6
Performance in School declined immensely from grades 4th-12th
Foggy memory, Lack of concentration, and Slowed physical development from ages 4-20
Dx with ADD at age 14-Ritalin prescribed-taken for only 2 months
Scoliosis Bar and fusion and Chiari 1 Malformation Surgery at Age 17
Dx Celiac April '11
Gluten,Soy,Milk,Corn,GMO free starting 3/28/11

#6 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Naw it's alright...I kinda wanted to know if it was normal too, so I'm glad you wrote your post. ;)
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

The staying awake thing caught my eye. I used to react to to dairy like that. It would wake me up and energize me like super go juice. I once ate some cheese and was awake for 3 days without getting tired. Until the 4th day I finally slept a 3 or so hours and more the next night. This was after not eating dairy for years due to GI symptoms. I do try it every once in a while now to see if I can get by with no symptoms.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: