Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Chewing Gum/bubble Gum?

6 posts in this topic

Any body have experience with chewing gum/bubble gum. Please let me know which ones you have had problems with, and which ones you have found to be gluten free.

Thanks, Keith

Ads by Google:

Trident is gluten free. Check under the FAQ on their website. It will tell you that all Trident is gluten free.

I haven't found any chewing gum with gluten. I don't know about bubble gum.

Don't know of any gums that do have gluten.

richard

This is my first post. I was diagnosed June 16. 2011 with Celiac. Had a follow-up appointment today with the gastroenterologist who say me chewing gum. He said I should not chew gum, it had gluten, and then he said, or lick envelopes. Well, how am I to know these things. I went on a gluten free diet June 17 to the best of my ability. I have checked this site often in my research.

I contacted Wrigley about the gum, I like the 5 gum. This was their reply, quite fast. But frankly, I am more than confused at this point.... 20 parts per million? I asked the doc about Costco Frozen vegetables the package states it is packaged with other products that may include soy, wheat, dairy etc, Doc suggested I find another product.

Dear Mr.,

Thank you for writing to inquire about ingredients used in Wrigley products.

All U.S. Wrigley products are labeled within strict compliance of applicable laws and FDA regulations, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004. Any materials identified as allergens within this Act (milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans) are labeled within the ingredient line.

The FDA has issued a proposed rule on gluten-free labeling, allowing food products containing less than 20 ppm of gluten (sourced from wheat, rye, barley, oats or cross-bred hybrids), to be considered gluten-free. [Federal Register: January 23, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 14)]

All U.S. Wrigley chewing gum and confection products have been assessed to be gluten-free with the exception of the products listed below, which contain ingredient(s) derived from wheat or are made on shared equipment that also processes products with wheat and may contain trace amounts of gluten.

Accordingly, these products are labeled as containing wheat-derived ingredients:

Like some others have stated, I haven't found any gum which does contain gluten, although I stick with the Orbit brand. Their bubble gum is pretty good and it's sugar free also.

The envelope thing is a Celiac myth which will not die. There is no gluten in envelope gum. Your doctor is not a Celiac? They shouldn't be giving out advice on what to eat or what is safe for contact with the mouth. They are almost always wrong.

Some people (like myself) are extremely sensitive Celiacs who react to products made on shared lines with other products containing wheat, barley or rye.

Some others can eat from shared lines with no problems. You will have to figure this all out as you heal. You may be more comfortable just omitting these

from the very beginning because you may discover that as you heal, you could become more sensitive to gluten. Don't let this all freak you out as there are many foods that we can eat and many brands which accommodate Celiacs and you will learn this as time goes on. The 20ppm threshold is the number that many companies test to so they can market their product for the Celiac community and call it gluten free. US physicians believe that this is the threshold that Celiacs can consume without causing damage to the small intestine. They have done studies and research to back this up but I am not an expert on this myself. Testing can can only go as low as 5ppm but if everyone were held to this standard, it would be extremely costly and I am not so sure it is necessary. I will eat something labeled gluten free made on dedicated lines and I don't worry about it past that. I have recovered extremely well doing it this way so I stick to it.

There is a big learning curve to this so don't despair...you will get the hang of it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Three years ago I lost about 40kgs (Aussie lol) by better diet & exercise. All was going great til I stopped losing. I upped my exercise but bizarrely started gaining weight. One night a week of not being able to sleep soon became two, then virtually every night with either 1-2hrs tops or none at all. These weird symptoms started about two years ago, becoming worse in say, the last 9mnths. Then I started to get diarrhea. Occasionally then weirdly 2-3 days with multiple occurences then a day or two with nothing, then back to loose & offensive. My GP ran tests, including the TTga (hope that's  right) antibody blood test. Negative so he tells me that's not it. After 9mnths of this he shrugs and says, "I don't know what it is I've run out of ideas what ideas do you have?" Finally refers me to a gastrointerogist.  Private, of course and can't really afford it but we (my fiance and I) go. Stools and blood samples are ordered, basically bye, see you in a month. I have looked my symptoms up and they seem to point to Celiac. Today we went back. I have been having bloated stomach, sore back and limbs,  lovely burps, constant urination and crushing anxiety attacks folowed by depression (which I have never had before in my life). Admitted over the last weekend I didn't sleep for two and a half days and found myself hallucinating and crying to just be able to sleep. Mr fancy pants gastrointerogist says," Hey great news, the stools samples rule out parasites and Crohns!" I tell him how excrutiating the last month has been to which he replies, "It's not Celiac disease, (points at negative blood test results). Celiac doesnt present with diarrhea, anxiety and frquent urination all together." I also had a fecal occult blood test which showed positive & notes say are maybe due to a lower gi bleed, and a ct scan that says shows some damage which, in their words, could be due to a condition such as Celiac disease. He has booked me for a double scope as the next step, has a few ideas what it could be (won't tell me because he doesn't want me to be 'anxious'). Told me to consider that all these symptoms could be me just worrying and being anxious. Told him when this started I was not worried about anything, shrugged and said, It could stil have happened, hey, sometimes we never find out what causes it and your just stuck with diarrhea forever." Then as I was leaving he slapped me on the back and said, "Don't worry so much, see you soon." I need to have the scopes done but is it me or are the things I was told today not true?  I would honestly love it not to be Celiac disease but could he be wrong?
    • Sigh. I totally do love the packs of stretch pants at Costco though...
    • hey, i'm vegetarian and gluten free as well
      have you tried making any recipes with cashew nuts like cashew cheese or pasta sauce? they're really good, easy to make and an excellent way to get more protein/iron
      i can send you some of the easy recipes if you like  
    • Right, fistulas or fissures are usually associated with Crohns, but not celiac.  It is not impossible to have both conditions though.
    • Bravo for being strong enough to bring this topic up.  Depression, anxiety, and other mental or neurological issues are common in celiacs and those with NCGI.  Science is finally catching up to what many of us have already known to be true.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3641836/ I have suffered from anxiety and still have some neuropathies.  At first I blamed menopause (that alone can make you crazy), but my symptoms tend kick in after a Gluten exposure and improve as I heal.   You are not crazy!  Gluten can cause so many problems.  What other disease requires that the patient be in charge of "medicating" and caring for themselves?  Most of us after a diagnosis get a "Well, just avoid gluten.  Lucky you that there are so many restaurants that offer a gluten free menu!", speech from our doctors.  We never get time off from thinking about food, our next meal and will it be safe?  Our relationship with food changes dramatically and it can be exhausting.   We do need more resources and support from medical, but for now, at least this forum is helpful!    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kricket73