This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acne

steadiedwaters

steadiedwaters Newbie

I find that anytime I eat something I'm not supposed to I get really gassy and the next day I wake up with a pimple! Anyone else get this? I seem to get more acne if I accidentally ingest gluten. And it's not the surface kind--it's the burrowing painful bump kind.

Just curious!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

anerissara Enthusiast

One of the first things I noticed when I went gluten-free was that my face totally cleared up! Sadly, the acne came back a little after several months, and now I break out if I get glutened. Yuk!

printmaker81 Rookie

I had really dry skin, exema (sp?) and acne... all of which cleared up within a couple of months on the gluten-free diet. Same thing happens to me when I get glutened now. Talk about adding insult to injury! :angry:

Guest BERNESES

Yep! Me too- I get cystic acne around my jaw and chin when I get glutened. Ugh!

• 10 months later...
ajay Newbie
I find that anytime I eat something I'm not supposed to I get really gassy and the next day I wake up with a pimple! Anyone else get this? I seem to get more acne if I accidentally ingest gluten. And it's not the surface kind--it's the burrowing painful bump kind.

Just curious!

I used to get those obnoxious lesions, too. I swear I'd get them in the exact same places, too-- I called them "wheat zits." If I remember right, they were on my face, neck, and scalp. I'd love to hear a scientific explanation, but it's always comforting to hear (read) someone describe the same symptom.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Yep! I had the worst skin during my pregnancy and it never went away. They were soooo bad and would last for 3-4 weeks each! Now that I am gluten-free htey are gone! Bit if I get gluten they are back they next day!

Guest cassidy

I have had acne forever. When I went gluten-free it all went away. Then a few months later it came back. Now, my back is really bad, but my face is fine. I was just on two antibiotics for things they found when I had a stool test. I looked one of them up and it is also used for adult acne. My back actually got worse when I was on the antibiotic. That really makes me wonder. My neck, chest and back are also covered in tiny bumps that have hard whiteheads in them, but don't ever get red or big like zits. This all started a few months after going gluten-free.

I also found out that I have a problem with candida overgrowth. Acne is a symptom of that, so I'm hoping that treatment will clear up my back. During my research I did find that some researchers think that food allergies are the number one cause of acne.

I really hate this because are going to Cancun tomorrow on a work sponsored vacation. I won't wear my bathing suit without a shirt on, but then everyone wonders why I'm wearing a shirt. I already feel uncomfortable eating special food, it doesn't help when I'm different by not wearing my bathing suit. For the last two weeks I have tried every cream I could think of, and none of it helps.

I have also lost weight on this candida diet and now am officially underweight. My clothes don't fit so well and I'm limited by what I can wear because I can't wear anything strapless or sleeveless.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dh204 Apprentice

Just curious!

YES - I used to have horrible acne on my face - then I tried to cut out wheat from my diet and the pimples went away. And yes, I've noticed that when I do eat wheat, I usually get one of those horrible painful bump pimples about 2 - 3 weeks later. And they usually take a couple of weeks to clear up too. Sometimes I dab on a bit of lavendar essential oil or some oil of oregano to combat the zit -- sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I have noticed that it helps heal the pimple a bit better. I also use this weird purple soap I got once from this place called skinclinic in new york. it's a "pore cleanser" soap thing that's awfully messy but I've noticed that it works quite well on the giant painful zits.

gfp Enthusiast

add me to the list, its mainly my arms which are not so big or bad but then sometimes I get a huge one on my back, always close to the spine...last time the Dr wanted to send me to a surgeon ....

watchthestars Rookie

yup, i have the same story as everyone here. i've had bad acne since age 12. the gluten-free diet really helped clear it up (not perfectly though.) Too bad i didn't go gluten-free earlier, cause I still have all these scars :(

LKelly8 Rookie

I've had painful cystic acne all my life too. I've never noticed a connection (worsening/clearing) with gluten but then I've only been on the diet since June 05.

Antibiotics (oral, topical) did little or nothing for me till I tried Evoclin this year. It's a topical clindamycin foam. I've used topical clindamycin before, in those bingo-like dabbers, but it never worked. Maybe the foam is different somehow - or maybe now that I'm gluten-free it's able to work for some reason.

Interesting connection though, I never thought of an acne/gluten link.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Add my whole family to the list. We also found that we get these from topical applications like shampoos and makeup that are not gluten-free so I'm real diligent about calling companys about everything from soaps to sunblock.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had horrible acne pre gluten free but since I have been on the diet I have really seen a dramatic change. I won't say it 100% cleared up but it cleared up alot.

kbtoyssni Contributor
I really hate this because are going to Cancun tomorrow on a work sponsored vacation. I won't wear my bathing suit without a shirt on, but then everyone wonders why I'm wearing a shirt. I already feel uncomfortable eating special food, it doesn't help when I'm different by not wearing my bathing suit. For the last two weeks I have tried every cream I could think of, and none of it helps.

You're probably already gone and back by now, but I just tell people it's because I don't want to get burnt. Skin cancer runs in my family so I'm always extra careful.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I have the same problem with cystic acne. I've discovered recently that if I completely eliminate all traces of soy, my skin completely clears up. It's amazing.

prinsessa Contributor

My acne also gets worse if I eat something with gluten. I think that it is almost worse than the stomach problems because everyone can see the acne :unsure:

Guest cassidy
You're probably already gone and back by now, but I just tell people it's because I don't want to get burnt. Skin cancer runs in my family so I'm always extra careful.

I always use "I don't want to get burnt." I am very white so it is very believable.

My acne also gets worse if I eat something with gluten. I think that it is almost worse than the stomach problems because everyone can see the acne

I agree with this. Right now I'm dealing with candida and I have acne, and heart palpatations. If only one of them could go away, I think I would choose the acne. I realize that is a bit vain, but it really bothers me.

Archived