Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Never Used To Crave Sweets Like This...

13 posts in this topic

I used to always be a salt fiend, a savory lover, and very very very rarely eat things like chocolate, ice cream, or baked goods. I always ate very healthy and didn't even crave those things.

But since going gluten-free, I'm still eating healthy...just eating the right KIND of healthy for my body now :P But I find I'm craving all those things now!!!

I don't get it...often when one craves sugar it's because they may be low on carbs...I feel sometimes cravings can be the body wanting something. But I'm eating carbs: fruits, veggies, rice, etc. I'm also eating proteins. And healthy fats.

So what's the deal? Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm 2 months gluten-free now, so I wouldn't think it would still be withdrawal. I'd love to stop these cravings, any help would be much appreciated :)

Ads by Google:

Hi. My name is Mary Ellen and I'm a Pamela's Chocolate Cookie addict.

To answer your question: yup.

All carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream. The carbs in some foods (mostly those that contain simple sugars and highly refined grains, such as white flour and white rice) are easily broken down into sugar. Whole grains are broken down more slowly and their sugars are released more slowly into the bloodstream. If you are used to eating white bread but it is no longer in your diet, then you have eliminated a daily source of quickly absorbed sugar from your diet - thus your craving for simple carbs (quick sugar).

Sugar and sweet cravings can mean things besides lack of simple carbohydrates.

You listed relative lightweights first, such as rice and fruit. You may have to up the proteins and healthy fats to feel sated, longer. You can also try adding in a form of grain carb which is higher protein than rice - any time you combine gluten free grains,seeds, or nut meals it is better as you get the full range of amino acids your body needs to use the protein. Hence I will mix two or more of the darker, more intense gluten free grain flours together in ziplock bags, ready to use. And I will make it with olive oil and sometimes eggs. My toast might be ugly, but I guarantee it lasts longer than a piece of styrofoam type "white" bread. :P

If you are not healed up yet you are not absorbing nutrients properly. The body will be trying to regulate certain levels of these chemicals in the bloodstream to function.

Try taking a gluten free calcium supplement, with vitamin D, magnesium, and a B complex. This helps with cravings, also.

Strange! I used to eat sweets CONSTANTLY and crave them always. Now I have a spoonful of peanut butter for "dessert" instead of a spoonful of sugary icing. I still keep butterscotch around and have it sometimes but no more cookies and ice cream every day. It's weird.

although I noticed when I accidentally got soy'd I shotgunned like two packets of Skittles. idk!

so basically I'm like the opposite of you :P

I'm still eating skittles as a food group :unsure: I think it is a normal thing for our bodies to crave the things it is used to and needs. Personally, I'm hoping that once the B12 kicks in I will no longer eat them so often. I know that my body wants them for energy and sugar is always a quick energy thing...of course, the crash comes later.

Strange! I used to eat sweets CONSTANTLY and crave them always. Now I have a spoonful of peanut butter for "dessert" instead of a spoonful of sugary icing. I still keep butterscotch around and have it sometimes but no more cookies and ice cream every day. It's weird.

although I noticed when I accidentally got soy'd I shotgunned like two packets of Skittles. idk!

so basically I'm like the opposite of you :P

Another lifetime sugar addict who can now eat sweets in moderation. I figured that my body was craving the fastest energy it could get, since it wasn't absorbing the nutrients from the food I was eating.

Not that I'm the picture of self-denial, but I actually passed up a BUTTERFINGER today, simply because I didn't want it. Unheard of!

Another lifetime sugar addict who can now eat sweets in moderation. I figured that my body was craving the fastest energy it could get, since it wasn't absorbing the nutrients from the food I was eating.

Not that I'm the picture of self-denial, but I actually passed up a BUTTERFINGER today, simply because I didn't want it. Unheard of!

WOW... I hadn't thought of that! I have been a sugar addict for ever... and never could understand why... now it makes more sense. I sure hope I have the same results... less sugar craving would be wonderful! As I "study diligently" for my test on Monday... my "study materials" of choice today... rich gooey chocolatey brownies with home made chocolate butter frosting... SINFUL! I feel like tonight is "The Last Supper!" LOL :P:blink::lol:

WOW... I hadn't thought of that! I have been a sugar addict for ever... and never could understand why... now it makes more sense. I sure hope I have the same results... less sugar craving would be wonderful! As I "study diligently" for my test on Monday... my "study materials" of choice today... rich gooey chocolatey brownies with home made chocolate butter frosting... SINFUL! I feel like tonight is "The Last Supper!" LOL :P:blink::lol:

Wish I could get my teenager to study his chemestry with the same enthusiasm. :lol:

All carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream. The carbs in some foods (mostly those that contain simple sugars and highly refined grains, such as white flour and white rice) are easily broken down into sugar. Whole grains are broken down more slowly and their sugars are released more slowly into the bloodstream. If you are used to eating white bread but it is no longer in your diet, then you have eliminated a daily source of quickly absorbed sugar from your diet - thus your craving for simple carbs (quick sugar).

I NEVER ate white bread...well, pretty much never. Always whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice, etc.

Sugar and sweet cravings can mean things besides lack of simple carbohydrates.

You listed relative lightweights first, such as rice and fruit. You may have to up the proteins and healthy fats to feel sated, longer. You can also try adding in a form of grain carb which is higher protein than rice - any time you combine gluten free grains,seeds, or nut meals it is better as you get the full range of amino acids your body needs to use the protein. Hence I will mix two or more of the darker, more intense gluten free grain flours together in ziplock bags, ready to use. And I will make it with olive oil and sometimes eggs. My toast might be ugly, but I guarantee it lasts longer than a piece of styrofoam type "white" bread. :P

If you are not healed up yet you are not absorbing nutrients properly. The body will be trying to regulate certain levels of these chemicals in the bloodstream to function.

Try taking a gluten free calcium supplement, with vitamin D, magnesium, and a B complex. This helps with cravings, also.

Yeah, I'm still healing up, so that could definitely be the case! I've been wanting to add quinoa, but the non-contaminated quinoa is so expensive! Any other grain suggestions?

I used to always be a salt fiend, a savory lover, and very very very rarely eat things like chocolate, ice cream, or baked goods. I always ate very healthy and didn't even crave those things.

But since going gluten-free, I'm still eating healthy...just eating the right KIND of healthy for my body now :P But I find I'm craving all those things now!!!

I've had the complete opposite experience. Going gluten-free has largely killed my snack habits. In hindsight I had some real addictive behavior going on with gluten - whenever I'd feel stressed or frustrated I'd grab a wheat-filled snack and munch away. Anything with a crunch (pretzels! oreos!) but I wasn't too picky provided there was refined wheat flour involved. And with untreated ADD the stress and frustration was pretty constant!

However breaking the gluten addiction combined with treating the ADD have conspired to make me shed 8 lbs in 3 weeks. Going gluten-free has completely restored a normal appetite and the ability to know when I'm full - it had been gone for years! I'll still snack but it'll be on just a few really crunchy and savory gluten-free crackers with lots of flavor. The appetite suppressive effects of Ritalin are actually causing some problems during the workweek where I don't eat enough and start to get dizzy and lightheaded in the afternoons, so I am working on stocking my office with more gluten-free snacks and sort of forcing myself to eat something now and then. I don't medicate on the weekends which sabotages this a bit 'cause the ADD brain is not so good at remembering shopping lists to purchase said snacks...

I'm wondering if candida could play a part? Anybody have experiences with it? But would candida get worse after going gluten-free? Although my multis apparently aren't gluten-free, just realized, so I guess I can't really say I've been 2 months gluten-free :(