This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best All Purpose Flour Mix?

waterlily-

waterlily- Explorer

After searching the forums and not finding anything, I was wondering what you guys think is the best tasting ap flour mix? Like, when I make pancakes I don't want them to taste bitter like brown rice flour, I want them to taste like pancakes. lol or in baking cookies and stuff like that, what brand works the best universally?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm still searching for that perfect all-purpose gluten-free flour. It seems every cookbook author has their own special mix/mixes.

Have you tried gluten-free Bisquick for pancakes? I think they taste pretty real to me at least.

jeannieknits Rookie

After searching the forums and not finding anything, I was wondering what you guys think is the best tasting ap flour mix? Like, when I make pancakes I don't want them to taste bitter like brown rice flour, I want them to taste like pancakes. lol or in baking cookies and stuff like that, what brand works the best universally?

I just made a cake from the Land O'lakes website and they had a gluten-free flour recipe there...I can't link right now, but the cake was amazing. It was a mix of white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. Perfect. ;)

Search "gluten free marble snack cake" and the site should come up.

Thanks!

sa1937 Community Regular

I was just on their website the other day...they have a number of gluten-free recipes

Open Original Shared Link

Marlie Apprentice

I have so far had the best success with Jules flour. It has no weird taste and is closer in consistency to flour. Recipes still need to be altered but its night and day what I have come up with using this flour. My second choice would be a mixture of super finely ground white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca. I forewarn you that the Bob Red Mill's rice flours are anything but fine. Either get the white rice flour from Authentic Foods or the Oriental Grocer. Good luck.

love2travel Mentor

For pancakes I like a bit of almond or coconut flour for yummy flavour. My favourite mixes include millet, one of my favourites.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have so far had the best success with Jules flour. It has no weird taste and is closer in consistency to flour. Recipes still need to be altered but its night and day what I have come up with using this flour. My second choice would be a mixture of super finely ground white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca. I forewarn you that the Bob Red Mill's rice flours are anything but fine. Either get the white rice flour from Authentic Foods or the Oriental Grocer. Good luck.

Glad to hear that! I just ordered Jules all-purpose flour but haven't tried it yet. Do you have any of her cookbooks? I also just received latest cookbook, Free For All Cooking (at least I think it's her newest one).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've had really good luck w/ Better Batter flour. I made REAL potstickers and the dough was like working w/ gluten dough. I couldn't believe it!

catsmeow Contributor

We've had really good luck with Artisan gluten-free flour blend. Yes, it's from a cookbook (Artisan gluten free cookbook), but we have used this flour blend for everything. My daughter used it to make me a birthday cake yesterday (I posted pictures of it in this topic area). My good friend who has been gluten-free for 10 years and is an homeopathic doctor bought me this cookbook and swears by the flour blend. She is italian/greek and spends ALL of her free time in the kitchen. She has tested sooo many flour blends! This one is her mainstay. I make the big batch and keep it onhand.

Artisan Gluten-Free Flour Blend

Single Batch (about 3 cups)

1 1/4 cups brown rice flour

3/4 cup sorghum flour

2/3 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup potato starch

1 tbsp + 1 tsp potato flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

Quadruple Batch (about 12 cups)

5 cups brown rice flour

3 cups sorghum flour

2 2/3 cups cornstarch

1 cup potato starch

1/4 cup + 4 tsp potato flour

1 tbsp + 1 tsp xanthan gum

Common Substitutions

I'm also contacted - seemingly at least once per week - by someone who, for one reason or another, cannot use one of the components in the flour blend. True to our blog title, that's no problem! Try these straightforward substitutions:

Sorghum - omit the sorghum, and substitute additional brown rice flour

Corn - omit the cornstarch, and substitute arrowroot flour (use about 2/3 as much arrowroot as you would cornstarch)

Potato - omit the potato starch and flour, and substitute 1/3 cup tapioca starch (or 1 1/3 cups tapioca for a quadruple batch)

Open Original Shared Link

Noomers Rookie

Glad to hear that! I just ordered Jules all-purpose flour but haven't tried it yet. Do you have any of her cookbooks? I also just received latest cookbook, Free For All Cooking (at least I think it's her newest one).

I have 15 pounds of Jules flour and I'm not super impressed. The taste is fine but it's so "springy" I could use a cake as a trampoline! I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have 15 pounds of Jules flour and I'm not super impressed. The taste is fine but it's so "springy" I could use a cake as a trampoline! I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something.

Well my breads could using a little more "spring" so one of these days I'll have to try Jules flour. It is expensive but then so are individual gluten-free flours. I've always mixed up my own flour blends depending on the cookbook/recipe I'm using.

• 2 weeks later...
Coleslawcat Contributor

I've had wonderful luck with Tom Sawyer Flour. I substitute it 1:1 in all of my old gluten containing recipes. No one has ever been able to tell the difference. It has made such a huge difference for me. I used to bake all the time and it gave me back my entire recipe book! I've heard great things about Better Batter too, but I'm so satisfied with Tom Sawyer I haven't tried it yet.

Archived