11 replies to this topic

#1 waterlily_

waterlily_

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

After searching the forums and not finding anything, I was wondering what you guys think is the best tasting ap flour mix? Like, when I make pancakes I don't want them to taste bitter like brown rice flour, I want them to taste like pancakes. lol or in baking cookies and stuff like that, what brand works the best universally?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'm still searching for that perfect all-purpose gluten-free flour. It seems every cookbook author has their own special mix/mixes.

Have you tried gluten-free Bisquick for pancakes? I think they taste pretty real to me at least.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 jeannieknits

jeannieknits

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

After searching the forums and not finding anything, I was wondering what you guys think is the best tasting ap flour mix? Like, when I make pancakes I don't want them to taste bitter like brown rice flour, I want them to taste like pancakes. lol or in baking cookies and stuff like that, what brand works the best universally?

I just made a cake from the Land O'lakes website and they had a gluten-free flour recipe there...I can't link right now, but the cake was amazing. It was a mix of white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. Perfect. ;)
Search "gluten free marble snack cake" and the site should come up.

Thanks!

celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosed in July of 2010
hemochromatosis (genetic iron storage disorder) diagnosed at the same time. The two diseases have been linked in studies.

also have atrial fibrillation, and poor weight gain.
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4/2011.

gluten free since july 2010.
investigating other food sensitivities daily!

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

I was just on their website the other day...they have a number of gluten-free recipes
http://www.landolakes.com/
Sylvia

#5 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

I have so far had the best success with Jules flour. It has no weird taste and is closer in consistency to flour. Recipes still need to be altered but its night and day what I have come up with using this flour. My second choice would be a mixture of super finely ground white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca. I forewarn you that the Bob Red Mill's rice flours are anything but fine. Either get the white rice flour from Authentic Foods or the Oriental Grocer. Good luck.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

For pancakes I like a bit of almond or coconut flour for yummy flavour. My favourite mixes include millet, one of my favourites.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:19 AM

I have so far had the best success with Jules flour. It has no weird taste and is closer in consistency to flour. Recipes still need to be altered but its night and day what I have come up with using this flour. My second choice would be a mixture of super finely ground white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca. I forewarn you that the Bob Red Mill's rice flours are anything but fine. Either get the white rice flour from Authentic Foods or the Oriental Grocer. Good luck.

Glad to hear that! I just ordered Jules all-purpose flour but haven't tried it yet. Do you have any of her cookbooks? I also just received latest cookbook, Free For All Cooking (at least I think it's her newest one).
Sylvia

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

I've had really good luck w/ Better Batter flour. I made REAL potstickers and the dough was like working w/ gluten dough. I couldn't believe it!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

We've had really good luck with Artisan gluten-free flour blend. Yes, it's from a cookbook (Artisan gluten free cookbook), but we have used this flour blend for everything. My daughter used it to make me a birthday cake yesterday (I posted pictures of it in this topic area). My good friend who has been gluten-free for 10 years and is an homeopathic doctor bought me this cookbook and swears by the flour blend. She is italian/greek and spends ALL of her free time in the kitchen. She has tested sooo many flour blends! This one is her mainstay. I make the big batch and keep it onhand.

Artisan Gluten-Free Flour Blend

Single Batch (about 3 cups)

1 1/4 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cup sorghum flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup potato starch
1 tbsp + 1 tsp potato flour
1 tsp xanthan gum

Quadruple Batch (about 12 cups)

5 cups brown rice flour
3 cups sorghum flour
2 2/3 cups cornstarch
1 cup potato starch
1/4 cup + 4 tsp potato flour
1 tbsp + 1 tsp xanthan gum

Common Substitutions

I'm also contacted - seemingly at least once per week - by someone who, for one reason or another, cannot use one of the components in the flour blend. True to our blog title, that's no problem! Try these straightforward substitutions:

Sorghum - omit the sorghum, and substitute additional brown rice flour
Corn - omit the cornstarch, and substitute arrowroot flour (use about 2/3 as much arrowroot as you would cornstarch)
Potato - omit the potato starch and flour, and substitute 1/3 cup tapioca starch (or 1 1/3 cups tapioca for a quadruple batch)

http://noglutennopro...lour-blend.html
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#10 Noomers

Noomers

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Glad to hear that! I just ordered Jules all-purpose flour but haven't tried it yet. Do you have any of her cookbooks? I also just received latest cookbook, Free For All Cooking (at least I think it's her newest one).

I have 15 pounds of Jules flour and I'm not super impressed. The taste is fine but it's so "springy" I could use a cake as a trampoline! I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something.

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:33 AM

I have 15 pounds of Jules flour and I'm not super impressed. The taste is fine but it's so "springy" I could use a cake as a trampoline! I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something.

Well my breads could using a little more "spring" so one of these days I'll have to try Jules flour. It is expensive but then so are individual gluten-free flours. I've always mixed up my own flour blends depending on the cookbook/recipe I'm using.
Sylvia

#12 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

I've had wonderful luck with Tom Sawyer Flour. I substitute it 1:1 in all of my old gluten containing recipes. No one has ever been able to tell the difference. It has made such a huge difference for me. I used to bake all the time and it gave me back my entire recipe book! I've heard great things about Better Batter too, but I'm so satisfied with Tom Sawyer I haven't tried it yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: