Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New To gluten-free And Worried About Calories!

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 jo_marnes

jo_marnes

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have some gluten-free bread recipes that aren't high in calories? My 'normal' bread was around 120 cals per slice, yet gluten-free ones seem much higher than that. I don't eat a lot of bread anyway, but want to have it when I fancy it!

Also, cereal. Oh my God. I am struggling with breakfast time! Rice porridge is ok. But not for the rest of my life! Don't even get me started on the gluten-free muesli... yuk. I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up, so rice pops/ krispies are out. I'd love to have cooked breakfast, but I have 3 boys under 7 to get ready for school/ kindy etc in the mornings - I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Also, can you get gluten-free sweet chilli sauce??

Thanks,

Jo xx

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sb2178

sb2178

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

I've pretty much just given up bread. I've made it once or twice, but honestly, the crackers are better and it would be very easy to just portion out fewer of them.

Breakfast:
corn tortilla w/ cheese/meat/beans: 1 minute in the microwave
quick cooking kasha or cream of buckwheat with nuts/fruit/milk or faux milk: soak overnight and you just pop it into the mircrowave for 2 minutes
homemade muffins or waffles are easier to make higher in protein and lower in sugar and freeze well
muffin tin crustless quiches (aka frittatas), also freeze fine if you don't use white potatoes

I really like eating leftovers. I'm pretty happy to finish off last night's soup or salad for breakfast when I have leftovers.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#3 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

My concerns with bread are less just the calories per se than the lack of nutrients in the bread.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#4 nerdolicious

nerdolicious

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

For cereal, try out the brand Nature's Path. The crunchy vanilla and crunchy maple flavors are delicious! http://www.naturespa...ree-celiac-diet

#5 busymomof5

busymomof5

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

I really like Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. It does take a few minutes to cook. One serving is only 150 calories, with 4 grams each of protein and fiber.
Diagnosed with Celiac through bloodwork and postive biopsy in March 2011. gluten-free since 3/24/11.

#6 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up,

I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Anything with protein is a good way to fill yourself up in the morning and add some anti-oxidant berries (blueberries or blackberries). If you opt for all natural or Greek yogurt (low fat or non fat), you'll get 20grams of protein per serving AND the antioxidants from the fruit.

It should take you 20 seconds to dollop a large spoonful into a bowl, another 20 seconds to add blueberries, and another 10 seconds to put everything away.

This should keep you full for a few hours.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#7 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:55 AM

If you workout, you should get more of a mix of protein and carbs in the morning. Check out Hungry Girl's breakfast egg cups (google her) and other ideas. Also, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oatmeal is pretty awesome cooked up. 10 minutes, and you don't have to stand there and watch it, or 2 minutes in the microwave.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have some gluten-free bread recipes that aren't high in calories? My 'normal' bread was around 120 cals per slice, yet gluten-free ones seem much higher than that. I don't eat a lot of bread anyway, but want to have it when I fancy it!

Also, cereal. Oh my God. I am struggling with breakfast time! Rice porridge is ok. But not for the rest of my life! Don't even get me started on the gluten-free muesli... yuk. I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up, so rice pops/ krispies are out. I'd love to have cooked breakfast, but I have 3 boys under 7 to get ready for school/ kindy etc in the mornings - I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Also, can you get gluten-free sweet chilli sauce??

Thanks,

Jo xx

I have to be out the door by 6a.m. on weekdays. To make grabbing something easier I boil eggs the night before or several at a time to keep on hand. I toss the egg yolks. I also cook extra chicken to have on hand. To go along with this, I have extra fruit on hand or cut up in individual containers.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

I have to be out the door by 6a.m. on weekdays. To make grabbing something easier I boil eggs the night before or several at a time to keep on hand. I toss the egg yolks. I also cook extra chicken to have on hand. To go along with this, I have extra fruit on hand or cut up in individual containers.

I love your thinking. It's been decades since I have been a Boy Scout, but the motto was "Be Prepared". When you think about your meals beforehand, it's makes nutritious meals/snacks easier and less stressful as well. The above is brilliant! And what a great medley of fruit, carbs, and healthy/lean protein.

(PS - How Nerdy am I that I have a flight this evening for a business trip and pre-boiled a dozen eggs to have in my hotel room? :blink: )
Brian Gansmann

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

I love your thinking. It's been decades since I have been a Boy Scout, but the motto was "Be Prepared". When you think about your meals beforehand, it's makes nutritious meals/snacks easier and less stressful as well. The above is brilliant! And what a great medley of fruit, carbs, and healthy/lean protein.

(PS - How Nerdy am I that I have a flight this evening for a business trip and pre-boiled a dozen eggs to have in my hotel room? :blink: )

I don't know if I would use the word brillant, but thanks :) I was once at work with nothing to eat for breakfast because I was running late. By lunch, I was starving! I'm dertermined that won't happen again. So, I cook extra for dinner everyday. I prep and pack everything up so it's easy to grab. I eat whole foods and do a lot of cooking. I like to eat a protien for breakfast and a good portion for lunch. I'm not as hungry in the afternoon and I'm not tempted to eat something full of sugar or fat. I love to grill thin cut chicken breast plain or with herbs. Slice it up, bag it and it's great for any meal or snack!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Rather than focusing on being low-calorie, I like to focus on being nutrient-dense. We also are completely grain-free and have a very high-veggie, high-protein and high-saturated fat diet which helps with fullness and energy AND weight management.

I've never been obese but in the past few years had accepted that my body was just going to be about 20 lbs more than it used to be. A couple months into our new way of eating I realized I'd dropped 15 lbs and I'm now maintaining that without thinking about calories at all.

Rather than trying to replace breakfast cereals, we just changed what breakfast means around here. Eggs are a good one, but we're just as likely to have beef stew for breakfast!

A favorite with the kids are GAPS-legal souflees we came up with. They're a lot like the Dutch Babies we used to enjoy. Like them, you can bake apples or other fruit in if you like :) Obviously, to use this recipe you need to have already baked some winter squash, made some nut butter (there is a recipe on the same site), and clarified some butter (though butter works just as well - we just like to remove the casein)

Serves 4
1/4 c nut butter
1 c winter squash, cooked
8 eggs
4 T ghee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1 T ghee in each of four 1.5 c (or larger) oven safe dishes (mugs work well) and place in oven to melt. Blend nut butter and winter squash. Add eggs and mix well. Fill each dish no more than halfway with egg mixture. Bake 30 minutes, until puffy and cooked through. Serve immediately with honey and yogurt.

We also sometimes make pancakes out of the same basic ingredients.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#12 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:40 AM

Rather than focusing on being low-calorie, I like to focus on being nutrient-dense. We also are completely grain-free and have a very high-veggie, high-protein and high-saturated fat diet which helps with fullness and energy AND weight management.

Spot on advice! And your recipe is already printed off and I'm ready to make it this weekend. Thank you for sharing.
Brian Gansmann

#13 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

I love to grill thin cut chicken breast plain or with herbs. Slice it up, bag it and it's great for any meal or snack!

Try grilling a whole beef flank steak (trimmed of all fat) the night before on the grill. Use a dash of Montreal Steak Seasoning (it's gluten free). Once it's grilled, cut it into strips and refrigerate. The next day you'll have finger food or even something for a salad.

Don't get me wrong... I like chicken strips as a snack, but beef flank steak (cold) is a step above in my mind.
Brian Gansmann

#14 jo_marnes

jo_marnes

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Endoscopy today revealed fissures and scarring, although official results next week.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!! I will have to come up with some preprepared foods I guess... something I can freeze/ zap in the microwave. Fruit and yoghurt is ok, but not in winter. I'm not a big fan of eggs... I can eat them occasionally but only poached - a boiled egg is my idea of a nightmare LOL. Rice porridge it is until I figure something out.

#15 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'm sorry your test results show damage - but YAY for knowing what the problem is, right? It sounds like you want something warm, sweet and mushy for breakfast :) We've cut all grains and grain like things, but if you are not doing that you might like buckwheat porridge. Make sure you soak it and rinse it before cooking.

I should mention for the recipe above that our eggs are medium sized, not the big ones!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: