arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New To gluten-free And Worried About Calories!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Endoscopy today revealed fissures and scarring, although official results next week.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!! I will have to come up with some preprepared foods I guess... something I can freeze/ zap in the microwave. Fruit and yoghurt is ok, but not in winter. I'm not a big fan of eggs... I can eat them occasionally but only poached - a boiled egg is my idea of a nightmare LOL. Rice porridge it is until I figure something out.

Ok, I didn't notice that you wanted low cal, and not liking eggs is hard. How about a fritta made ahead. Leftover rice, eggs, veggies maybe some cheese. You can use some egg whites to lower the calorie count. Make ahead, put in individual servings.

Let me know if you want a recepie.

Edited by cyberprof, 16 April 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BurningItOff

BurningItOff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

OHHH Let me share with you my favoriate thing in the world!

2 eggs
4 egg whites
2 packets of truvia
Tons of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cook that like normal eggs and OMG! This keeps me full for hours in the morning.

You should see what I used to eat for breakfast. Ug! No wonder I've lost 65lbs already :)

#18 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!!

Have you tried chicken sausages for breakfast? Yes, I know they look like bratwurst and you would equate that with lunch, dinner, or a grill out. But, they have less than 10 grams of fat per BIG link, are gluten free, pre-cooked, and high in protein. If you buy the ones at Sam's Club, Costco or Trader Joe's they are even all natural.

Here's the trick in the morning. Pan sear them covered in a skillet on medium heat in about 1/8" of water for about 8 minutes (turning every 2 minutes). Take the lid off and let the water evaporate. Once all of the water is gone, add a table spoon of EVOO and turn the heat to medium/high. This browns them after the internal temperature has been heated).

Eat at breakfast with a knife and fork. I have one nearly every morning.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#19 GlutenBurns

GlutenBurns

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Endoscopy today revealed fissures and scarring, although official results next week.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!! I will have to come up with some preprepared foods I guess... something I can freeze/ zap in the microwave. Fruit and yoghurt is ok, but not in winter. I'm not a big fan of eggs... I can eat them occasionally but only poached - a boiled egg is my idea of a nightmare LOL. Rice porridge it is until I figure something out.

I'm a big fan of Arrowhead Mill's Maple Buckwheat cereal - delicious and filling. I mostly eliminated gluten-free bread because of the high calories, though I'm a big fan of Udi's packaged (not frozen) bread and it's not too high in calories. Also, Trader Joe's makes some very tasty gluten-free english muffins (toasted with a little Parmesan cheese, which is low cal, is awesome in the morning) and gluten-free french rolls. Also, kinnikinnick's gluten-free muffins in the freezer are amazing. I love their carrot muffins. 30 seconds in the microwave and they're warm, perfect for the winter mornings and only 170 calories. Way fewer calories than most non-gluten-free muffins. They also have chocolate chip and blueberry.

#20 GlutenBurns

GlutenBurns

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

Have you tried chicken sausages for breakfast? Yes, I know they look like bratwurst and you would equate that with lunch, dinner, or a grill out. But, they have less than 10 grams of fat per BIG link, are gluten free, pre-cooked, and high in protein. If you buy the ones at Sam's Club, Costco or Trader Joe's they are even all natural.

Here's the trick in the morning. Pan sear them covered in a skillet on medium heat in about 1/8" of water for about 8 minutes (turning every 2 minutes). Take the lid off and let the water evaporate. Once all of the water is gone, add a table spoon of EVOO and turn the heat to medium/high. This browns them after the internal temperature has been heated).

Eat at breakfast with a knife and fork. I have one nearly every morning.

I love chicken sausage! I actually just pan-sear them without the oil, to save calories, and they're still delicious! Whole Foods has delicious Apple Gouda sausages and the Al Fresco brand is also good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: