Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Diarrhea & Cramping After Going gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thursday I had an endoscopy and biopsy. I wont get the biopsy results for another week, but the doctor said he could tell I had celiac from the endoscopy alone, so I started the gluten free diet that day. I have not been having any stomach issues lately, though I have frequently in the past. Friday night I woke up with horrible cramps- felt alot like menstrual cramps. Since then I have had steady cramps, abdominal spasms and some diarrhea. If I don't eat anything, it is better, but any bit of anything in my stomach sets off another wave. I don't know if this is some weird type of gluten withdrawal? Or if it is related to the endoscopy. I felt fine all day Thursday and all day Friday though- so it doesn't seem like it would be the endoscopy. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Hawthorn

Hawthorn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Maybe call the doctor for a bit of reassurance/explanation?

I had stomach problems for quite a while after doing the gluten challenge, and they are just starting to clear up now.

It seems from your post your gluten free diet is a new thing.....is it possible that maybe you got glutened from something you ate/prepared food with?
From everything I've read lately it seems that that happens really easily, especially if you still have someone in your home that is still eating gluten.

Hope you feel better soon :)

#3 JenniLu

JenniLu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

I have a lot of problems digesting Xanthan gum, so most gluten-free bread and baked goods make me sick. I have a couple of recipes for buckwheat bread, banana bread, and pizza crust with no Xanthan gum that I can eat without ill effects. Otherwise, I can't eat gluten-free bread because of the Xanthan gum.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

I have a lot of problems digesting Xanthan gum, so most gluten-free bread and baked goods make me sick. I have a couple of recipes for buckwheat bread, banana bread, and pizza crust with no Xanthan gum that I can eat without ill effects. Otherwise, I can't eat gluten-free bread because of the Xanthan gum.

Have you ever tried guar gum? Not saying that you could tolerate it, but it might be a possibility unless you react to all gums. Both xanthan and guar gums are used in a lot of products (like salad dressing, ice cream, etc.)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 JenniLu

JenniLu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

Have you ever tried guar gum? Not saying that you could tolerate it, but it might be a possibility unless you react to all gums. Both xanthan and guar gums are used in a lot of products (like salad dressing, ice cream, etc.)

I'm now experimenting with guar gum. I've been reading labels and avoiding Xanthan gum for a long time, way before going gluten free. I tried it again when I started Gluten free diet and just can't tolerate it. It causes awful indigestion and naseau. Nasty stuff.

#6 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thank you for the replies. I ended up going to the ER actually because I developed agonizing pain about 3 inches baove my navel. The dr decided I had an inflamed duodenum from the procedure and gave me some pain meds and prilosec and I am feeling much better now! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: