Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Abdominal Pressure Points Or Tender Spots?

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#1 Karina

Karina

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

I am new to the board. Have seen a GI guy who ordered blood tests that came back suggestive of Celiac. He is doing an endoscopy at end of month. He feels this will just be confirmation that I have celiac disease, as he says I present with many typical symptoms. I am very thin, have diarrhea many times a month, have abdominal bloating, and STRANGE pains around my umbilicus. I will feel this pain and when I reach down to touch it , it hurts REALLY bad! I feel this pretty much daily, but at different times and on and off. Are these types of pain typical?

Karina
KARINA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:34 PM

Karina,

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? If not, please call him and tell him! I do not want to scare you, and I am not a doctor, but please mention this to him ASAP.
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

#3 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

Yes, I have told my DR. Also, I am a nurse. I am wondering exactly what you are thinking (I know you are not a DR--I am not holding you accountable for guessing)? I have had these symptoms for a few months, and at first he wanted to do a colonoscopy, but after the celiac panel came back now he wants to do this. He is having me test for occult blood in stools. Are you thinking colon cancer? Whatever you would say, I assure you I have probably already thought of it so don't worry about scaring me--this is why I am getting checked out. But now that you have resonded this way I hope you will share what you are thinking.

Thanks,
Karina
KARINA

#4 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:06 AM

Hi Karina,

Thanks for mentioning you are a nurse. It makes it a little easier for me to tell you that my fear (based entirely on my non-medical knowledge!) is that it is small bowel lymphoma. Since you are a nurse, and since you have obviously done some research on this, you probably already know of the significant risk increase of this lymphoma to Celiac patients. I'm a little surprised he has not ordered an upper GI series for you. Maybe you should request it.

Please keep me posted.
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

#5 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

I failed to mention that when I first got the pain it was around my appendix, and so when I went to my family practice DR> he ordered a CT of my abdomen and pelvis with contrast. That CT came back negative. Now my GI DR. is following up on this celiac thing with an endoscopy, but like I said he originally wanted to do a colonoscopy. His other major concern is/was Crohn's disease. He also told me even if we find out after the endo that I have Celiac he is not certain that it is the cause of all my symptoms. I thinks he means the
KARINA

#6 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:11 PM

whoops! somehow I hit post before I finished. Anyway I was just saying that we (my DR and me) do not know where this paplable pain is coming from in my abdomen--he said it could be the celiac......

Karina
KARINA

#7 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

I've read that pains around the belly button are typical of Celiac, and a floroscopy would rule out small bowel lymphoma if you continue to be symptomatic. I knew if this disease were left untreated some people may have an increased risk of developing lymphoma, but I didn't know that it was a really signifigant risk for us as one of the posts said here...I hope that's not so!
Gillian

#8 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:28 PM

Hi Gillian,

Sorry if I led you astray. It has been awhile since I read the study. Technically, the study found a high incidence of previously undiagnosed Celiac disease in patients with small bowel lymphoma. By extrapolation, I said there is a higher incidence of that lymphoma in Celiac patients. The study was very limited in it's scope and did not go on to determine the incidence of lymphoma in Celiac patients after being on the diet.

If you would like to read the synopsis of the study here is a link:

http://www.cancerpag...cle.asp?id=1320

Following my diagnosis, I had quite a bit of trouble gaining weight. My doctor was very concerned about small bowel lymphoma, so unless he has seen another study I don't know about, me thinks he made the same extrapolation I did! ;)

Hope this clears things up.
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

#9 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:54 PM

Well, this is a long process--getting diagnosed isn't it? Today was a bad day for me, lots of abdominal pain ALL OVER my belly, but the tender points were extremely painful also. I am fighting the urge to get scared here, and was near tears tonight, not because the pain is so unbearable, but because right now I don't know for sure what is causing it. I don't want to have Celiac, but frankly right now, Celiac is less frightening than some of the other things going through my head.
Karina
KARINA

#10 Guest_pear_fairy_*

Guest_pear_fairy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:58 PM

I have this too! I am undiagnosed as of now and my family doc diagnosed me as IBS but I am leaning towards Celiac myself as so many other symptoms. The tummy tenderness for sure bothers me and most conscience of it at night while laying in bed. We are moving right now (Japan to England) so I have stopped pursuing my doc but as soon as we get settled in the UK I am hunting down a doc that is good with all these digestive problems that can properly diagnose me!
~Steph

#11 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

Steph,

Goodluck with your move! Are you originally from the UK? I have seen some posts here from people in the UK and someone here may be helpful in helping you find a good doc. I am sure these boards will be hearing from me for a little while at least as I find my way around all this. I really hope you find out what is causing your pains--I hope you will post your progress!

Karina
KARINA

#12 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

Steph, it's probably better for you in the long run that you are going to the UK. They are much more aware of the disease there than in Japan!

You should have no trouble finding a competent doctor!

Karina, I'm sorry if I have contributed to your fear. I did not mean to upset you - that was why I was originally ambiguous in my post.

Do not worry about being diagnosed with Celiac. Yes, it is overwhelming at first, but you WILL get used to it. Soon it will be second nature. You are absolutely right, there are much worse things than Celiac!
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

#13 Guest_pear_fairy_*

Guest_pear_fairy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Karina and Dewey,
Nope from the U.S. originally but been in Japan for 6 years now. Husband is military so now that is why we are off to the U.K. Hope i am able to find a great doc there also. Thanks again

#14 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:15 AM

Karina, I also had the pain in the right lower abdomen, McBirney's point, which was suspicious of appendicitis for years and years and no one could understand why. Then after I was diagnosed the pain began subsiding and now it is altogether gone after three years of gluten free. Perhaps there is still hope??? Shirley

#15 Meenucat

Meenucat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

I also have pain around my naval, but it's about an inch above the naval and to my right - if I press on the spot then I will be in severe pain for hours - it feels more like an obstruction in my case, but I don't know - I'm baffled by this - I cannot wear pants with a tight waist beause it triggers the pain.

Anyone know why pressure would cause pain in this area for me??? I'm okay as long as nothing touches or presses on it in a certain way...???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: