5 replies to this topic

#1 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

I recently limited all my carbs and have eliminated all grains from my diet. Most sugars, as well. I eat mainly meat, tofu, and vegetables, with an apple or berries thrown in daily. I take supplements in the form of an organic multi-vitamin, acidophilis, and fish oil. I've limited my dairy for the last two years, but I do have a little more than I did previously, which is where my suspicion lies, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions? Is there something I might be missing? A vegetable I should be eating? I eat mainly broccoli, green beans, salad with spinach, romaine, and arugala, celery. I also have a serving of nuts a day. I feel great otherwise, and this is the first time I've not had sugar spikes all day long. So I'm happy on it, just concerned with the bowel issues. Prior to this, unless I'd been glutened, I had no bowel issues.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zimmer

zimmer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

What about the soy? Some people have trouble with that.
Positive tTG IgA Ab, Gliadin IgA & IgG
Decided against biopsy
gluten-free 2/14/11

#3 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

What about the soy? Some people have trouble with that.

Tofu has never bothered me in the past. So that's not to say that couldn't be new, but I think given the extreme changes in diet with getting rid of all simple carbs and limiting complex -- within reason -- is the blame. I'm just not sure how to counteract it.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

I recently limited all my carbs and have eliminated all grains from my diet. Most sugars, as well. I eat mainly meat, tofu, and vegetables, with an apple or berries thrown in daily. I take supplements in the form of an organic multi-vitamin, acidophilis, and fish oil. I've limited my dairy for the last two years, but I do have a little more than I did previously, which is where my suspicion lies, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions? Is there something I might be missing? A vegetable I should be eating? I eat mainly broccoli, green beans, salad with spinach, romaine, and arugala, celery. I also have a serving of nuts a day. I feel great otherwise, and this is the first time I've not had sugar spikes all day long. So I'm happy on it, just concerned with the bowel issues. Prior to this, unless I'd been glutened, I had no bowel issues.

Hi ciavyn, I eat a lot like you do now (minus the soy and legumes) but even though I tend towards diarrhea normally, this way of eating does the opposite for me. I also wondered about the soy, but since you were good with it before I don't know how changing everything "around" it would make a difference. It may be something to think about if all else fails, just omit it for a trial.

Also, are the supplements all things that you've been taking all along? I have a very hard time with them and consequently don't take any anymore.

Finally, are you taking in a lot more fiber than before? That could also do it, but your system should adapt if that's the case.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Tofu has never bothered me in the past. So that's not to say that couldn't be new, but I think given the extreme changes in diet with getting rid of all simple carbs and limiting complex -- within reason -- is the blame. I'm just not sure how to counteract it.

You could try adding some sweet potatoes or yams into your diet. Lots of vit A and they have both insoluable and soluable fiber so they can help with both D and C. I also think it might be a good idea to eliminate soy for a bit and see if that helps.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

It sounds like your gut is out of whack. Our family has had great results from the GAPS Diet. It's all about healing the gut. There is a long list of foods to avoid and SOY is definitely one of them. The idea behind this diet is to restore the balance of the flora in your gut, and to seal up a leaky gut. People with leaky guts (that have been damaged, especially by grains) often develop intolerances to foods that didn't used to be a problem because the proteins of those foods get through the gut's lining and cause reactions. By healing the gut, many foods can become safe to reintroduce.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: