This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

No Appetite

rgarton

rgarton Contributor

Sorry im new here and im sure there are hundreds of posts similar but i was diagnosed in January as Coeliac, and have been gluten free since, except the slip up of drinking diet coke which doesn't agree with me at all! I was just over 10st and now im 8st 3, i can't seem to put the weight back on yet, I'm 5,7" btw. I've only just started to notice the difference its making but my appetite is driving me insane! I don't have one! Then when i do eat i feel light headed so i eat then i get shaky... Seems i can't win! I'm still really tired from being severely anemic but i just want to be better! So envious of the people that seem to feel better nearly instantly! Any tips? Natural ways to increase appetite? Thanks guys.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I struggle with having no appetite at all. I never want to eat. I know it was really bad in the beginning and now it is still an effort to eat. If I did what I wanted I would only eat once a day. BUT my body needs to heal and needs energy to do that. So I started making myself eat a measured amount of nuts in the morning. A chicken breast for lunch and some kind of meat for supper. The increased protein has really made a difference. I try to finish all the meat first because protein builds new cells, then I flesh it out with some veg or fruit or more nuts. But to be honest with you my appetite isn't there at all...I just do it cause it is right. I think probiotics can help that. Reduced motility is what they call it medically...I'm not sure of the right way to handle it, but I noticed by day 3 that I felt a whole lot better and more clear mentally. Hope this helps some...at least you know you are not alone

• 3 weeks later...
rgarton Contributor

I struggle with having no appetite at all. I never want to eat. I know it was really bad in the beginning and now it is still an effort to eat. If I did what I wanted I would only eat once a day. BUT my body needs to heal and needs energy to do that. So I started making myself eat a measured amount of nuts in the morning. A chicken breast for lunch and some kind of meat for supper. The increased protein has really made a difference. I try to finish all the meat first because protein builds new cells, then I flesh it out with some veg or fruit or more nuts. But to be honest with you my appetite isn't there at all...I just do it cause it is right. I think probiotics can help that. Reduced motility is what they call it medically...I'm not sure of the right way to handle it, but I noticed by day 3 that I felt a whole lot better and more clear mentally. Hope this helps some...at least you know you are not alone

Thank you, unfortunately i'm vegetarian, have been since i was 4, im now 21. I've never craved it or wanted meat so i listen to my body. But protein is the way to go! Will start eating more nuts and stuff... Really does suck not having an appetite... Thanks again.x

monika Newbie

Thank you, unfortunately i'm vegetarian, have been since i was 4, im now 21. I've never craved it or wanted meat so i listen to my body. But protein is the way to go! Will start eating more nuts and stuff... Really does suck not having an appetite... Thanks again.x

You might want to try Blue Diamonds Almonds. They are Great! and peanut free!!!

I live off of that... I've also noticed that my appetite has diminished to nothing. It's horrible.

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have celiac but I do have gastroparesis. That means I digest my food more slowly than normal and this causes no appetite most of the time. I am also diabetic so to keep my blood sugar stable, I should eat on a schedule. However because I wasn't hungry I keep delaying my meal by an hour...then another hour... That did work for me so well!

I am also limited as to what I can eat. By the diabetes. By the gastroparesis. And then food allergies. So I take what is left and try to focus on what I like of those foods and then try to come up with balanced meals. Yes, I do take a lot of supplements because it is hard for me to get what I need.

I am overweght though. I need to lose but can't see to.

What seems to help me is to surround myself with food. I find if I watch cooking shows on TV, something will look good to me and I will eventually want it. Or the smell of food might make me want it. For instance, when I step into Target, I smell the popcorn and then I want it! I can't always finish the bag. Most of the time daughter and I will each get a bag (they are small) and eat half. We'll combine them into one bag, put the empty bag over the top as a cover and she will take it home to eat later.

Even posting here or reading the posts seems to help because I will read about things that sound good and that will tend to stimulate my appetite.

Dr. B Newbie

You might be taurine deficient and taurine plays a very important role in the body. You might also have systemic candidiasis, which causes weight loss, anemia and auto-immune diseases.

I have found that the body seeks it's ideal weight and so I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the "loose skin" that results from the weight loss, that results from going gluten free, is a little scary....but the skin will tighten up after 2-3 months.

I have also found that the "cleansing" process the body goes through when changing to a gluten free diet can cause the loss of appetite. I, personally, went down to 128 pounds, before going back up to 135-140 pounds (20 BMI). Before I was gluten free (and grain free), I weighed 155-160 pounds. People say I look thin, but they are just the ones that are used to seeing me with love handles and droopy jowls, etc... all now which are gone. :-) It takes many months for the

shadowicewolf Proficient

Same, however at the moment, i have just been 'grazing' by eating a little bit here and there. If i don't eat something i get light headed :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
order Newbie

I've been diagnosed as Wheat allergic 11 days ago, and since then, my appetite has diminished to nothing. I've removed wheat completely from my diet, which is most gluten products that celiacs also have to remove. I was also diagnosed peanut intolerant, so there are not many foods I can go by anymore. I have to force myself to eat 2 small gluten-free crackers in the morning, and live off half a carton of yogurt (fat free) with a bit of cucumber and some meat... but I force myself to eat, otherwise, I'd plan on not eating at all. I have to eat, otherwise I get weak, and my tummy rumbles at me like crazy.. I'm currently overweight, and I suspect I'll lose quite a bit during this process... My question is, will I ever regain my appetite?

Archived