3 replies to this topic

#1 CruiseWriter

CruiseWriter

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I've heard about the DH rash but not sure if it pertains to me or not.....the rash started last summer and it's always in the same place......around my underwear line, around crotch area. Never itches,just burns like a mother, like someone threw acid on my skin. I chalked it up to laundry detergent reaction,so I switched to fragrance-free kind. Still have the rash. I went gluten-free last weekend and the rash went away for a few days,then returned today. Is it a Celiac thing and why did it come back? I don't get it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hi CruiseWriter. Could it possibly be the latex in your panties?
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Good point about the latex. DH can come and go. If that is what it is. Yes, it can just burn like acid and not itch, that is the way mine was. Does it ever "weep" or ooze or look like watery blisters? Even teeny tiny blisters? That would be consistent with DH. BUT it has numerous presentations, so if it gets better going gluten free, you might watch your reactions to iodine. Like does it start to feel like acid burns after you eat salty food? Iodine keeps the IgA antibodies activated and that is what happened to me. Salty food would cause a skin reaction. Then later, after going gluten free, the rash seems ever more sensitive to cross contamination of gluten, or even slight ingestion of iodine. It is a real puzzle but I wanted to give you some clues of what to watch for.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#4 CruiseWriter

CruiseWriter

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

They look like raised red bumps, not oozing or anything. Just fat red bumps that burn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: