34 replies to this topic

#1 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

I can't handle any, but am wondering which are the least contaminated for dd who is thankfully less sensitive.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

I can't handle any, but am wondering which are the least contaminated for dd who is thankfully less sensitive.

I do well with the Enjoy Life bars and chips.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 naiiad

naiiad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

I eat reeses all the time with no problem. Watch out of the heart shaped ones though because they contain gluten.

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

I used to eat Dove chocolates all of the time with no problem, but just reacted to one of their chocolate Easter bunnies (made on shared lines). If you ever melt down your own chocolate wafers to make your own candies, Mercken's milk and dark chocolate wafers are great and are gluten free (and they are produced on dedicated lines).

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

I'm in the same boat, sigh.

We were just trying the enjoy life chocolate chips with my daughter the other day, and I think she did okay with a Tb of them.

She mixed them in with some popped sorghum, then nuked them together for a few seconds in the microwave. Then mixed it around and she got chocolate coated popped sorghum. Looked pretty good, actually! We're trying to be very strict with her diet this week and then try them again next week to double check, so she's looking forward to that, LOL.

Sadly, even if I could eat these chocolate chips safely gluten-free-wise, the whole 'allergic to sugarcane' thing would get me anyway. <_<

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:03 AM

I seem to have the allergic to sugar thing too, except for honey and fruit sugar. I'm going to grow sugarcane in my garden this summer as well as sugar beets to see if it might be something happening in the processing. I kind of hope so, I have a sweet tooth which hasn't been much satisfied lately.

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

I use plain Hershey's cocoa powder with gluten-free rice milk and organic sugar to make hot cocco,,or cold is good too :) that is the ONLY way I can consume chocolate <_<

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

I do well with the Enjoy Life bars and chips.

DITTO...no problems and tasty enough! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I am SUPER sensitive and eat Nestle milk chocolate chips. They are made on a dedicated line. All other chocolate besides Hersheys cocoa powder or Nestle cocoa powder is off limits to me. It all makes me sick.

#10 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

I eat the enjoy life chocolate with no problems. I like to mix a little of the chocolate chips with a little almond butter for a sweet snack :)
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#11 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

When we were eating them, my kids did well with Tropical Source chips (as a treat, not a staple - so never daily). They did not do well with Enjoy Life after an elimination/addition study. We have not had any in some time, but the Tropical Source was the last one standing at our house. I would even try them again, as we just phased them out . . . no direct reason related to gluten. I didn't eat much of any of them myself.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

#12 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

I break out in hives if I have chocolate. Butt Hershey's Dark Chocolate Nuggets haven't been a problem. (I'm pretty sure that my hives are caused by the soy in chocolate, because I have a thyroid issue too (parathyroid vs. hashimoto's). But I limit myself to one, maybe two nuggets every few days.

Good luck!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#13 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:27 AM

I break out in hives if I have chocolate. Butt Hershey's Dark Chocolate Nuggets haven't been a problem.

If it's not soy, I might have another possibility! I have hive issues with chocolate, too, if I consume enough. Had that before celiac disease diagnosis. No raised IgE levels, though, so doctors were stumped. Turns out, if one is a little sensitive to histamines, chocolate can set off hives in us. I don't think it's completely related to histamine intolerance, it just seemed to be that chocolate, plus a few other foods, caused hives in susceptible individuals because of their high histamine content.

Weird, eh? I wonder if certain types of processing might eliminate enough histamines to make it less of an issue?

shauna

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#14 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Dagoba 87% (avoiding both gluten and casein)

#15 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

Taza chocolate (Boston-based; I've seen in it various places) could be contaminated with nuts, but not soy or gluten and I'm pretty but not entirely sure that dairy is also not used. Caveat: I'm not supersensitive.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: