This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Diagnosed With Hashimoto's

cahill

cahill Collaborator

I recently saw a new endocrinologist .She tested me and diagnosed me with Hashimoto's.

I know nothing about hashimoto's and do not see her again for a few weeks.

Any information or good web site/link would be greatly appreciated .

Is there a link between hashimoto's and celiac's ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh yes, there is a VERY strong link between the two. There are thyroid medicines to control it. Sometimes the Hashimoto antibodies go down after you have been gluten free for a while. There is a Thyroid thread here and CassP knows a lot about thyroid. There are a few other experts here too. I just wanted to let you know it is common. I was tested yesterday. My antibodies are slightly elevated. Not sure if that gives me the diagnosis or not. I was actually hoping I had it...because there is something they can do about it. Otherwise I'm stuck with the symptoms. It is very common though so please don't be scared.

CruiseWriter Apprentice

I was diagnosed with Hashi's nearly 3 years ago......not a whole lot of fun. Basically the body attacks the thyroid gland, plain and simple, but sometimes it can be hard to adjust the thyroid medicine, so be prepared to be tested a lot. I'm in the hospital so much for bloodwork,the staff knows me by now. Consider joining an online group called Stop the thyroid madness. Just google it, request the join the group,and they should be able to help you with any questions. Not sure if anyone in the group has Celiac; I no longer am in the group as I don't find them helpful anymore.

Igg postive Rookie

I have had hypothyroidism for many years. A forum I found very helpful was thyroid.about.com run by Mary Shomon. There are those on that site that also have Celiac since so many have both. They will let you know what to ask the doctor, what the bloods tests mean, etc. Let us know how your hashimoto

cahill Collaborator

Thanks for your reply's :)

I think I am still a little stunned to actually have ANY kind of diagnoses. I am so used to doc's looking at me like I am crazy and telling me there is nothing wrong ,,

I am soooooo happy with my new endocrinologist. She is a keeper :D

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

I had suspected my thryoid for over a year but all the docs told me it was fine, I had graves in the past so assumed it was that but finally begged that they test me for Hashis, came back positive and antibodies have gotten higher since.

I'm now gluten-free (only a week) and just start Armour today. I finally found a doc that takes it seriously and wants to help.

His #1 advice, whether celiac or not, is to cut out gluten as it seems to trigger antibodies for hashis.

I agree with the others suggestions about the about.com website and stop the thyroid madness - good stuff!

• 4 months later...
kennedymoore Rookie

I recently saw a new endocrinologist .She tested me and diagnosed me with Hashimoto's.

I know nothing about hashimoto's and do not see her again for a few weeks.

Any information or good web site/link would be greatly appreciated .

Is there a link between hashimoto's and celiac's ??

Sorry to hear that you have Hashimotos. I refer to mine as the DEVIL. However, you can live well with it, I am .

Don't stress about it. Yes, that is easier said than done. Read the book by Dr. Datis Karrazhian. I have the ebook and will forward it to you if you like- just email me.

Also, if you decide to go on a T4 replacement don't get on Synthroid (not gluten-free). Request that the Dr. put you on Tirosint. It is in a gel capsule (no dyes, no fillers) and easy to take. If you are still consuming soy -- stop it! Only consume fermented, non-GMO soy which is only found in tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce (gluten-free). Otherwise what we eat in the USA is harmful to our health. Watch for soy in vitamins, canned and frozen foods, candy, ice cream, supplements, vit D3, tuna, mayo. It is everywhere. Soy destroys the thyroid.

Good luck to you. You will survive this - I promise!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gem75 Rookie

I was dianosed hypo thyroid in june and also hashis. My antibodies are 263:(

i too was sort of happy once there was a diagnosis out there, prior to that i was just made to feel crazy, I was diagnosed bi polar, depressed, anxiety (anxiety is probably true, although probably caused from going undiagnosed hypo for well over a year).

I went gluten free (for the 2nd time) 2 weeks ago, prior to that i was gluten-free for a month and fell off the wagon... big time;) i now realize i can't have that happen again.

it all sucks, i can't get prego, i've gained 25 lbs in the past year (maybe 2) i possibly have celiac, it seems i have a plethora of other allergies, i have adrenal fatigue... the list goes on and on.

i feel my health has plumeted the last year:(

kennedymoore Rookie

I was dianosed hypo thyroid in june and also hashis. My antibodies are 263:(

i too was sort of happy once there was a diagnosis out there, prior to that i was just made to feel crazy, I was diagnosed bi polar, depressed, anxiety (anxiety is probably true, although probably caused from going undiagnosed hypo for well over a year).

I went gluten free (for the 2nd time) 2 weeks ago, prior to that i was gluten-free for a month and fell off the wagon... big time;) i now realize i can't have that happen again.

it all sucks, i can't get prego, i've gained 25 lbs in the past year (maybe 2) i possibly have celiac, it seems i have a plethora of other allergies, i have adrenal fatigue... the list goes on and on.

i feel my health has plumeted the last year:(

Stick with the gluten free diet - it is the key to health. Focus on the gluten-free choices that do not come in a box or bag. You have the pick of the liter - fresh vegetables, fruit, grass-fed meats, seafood and the water you can stand. Go easy on the fruit the sugars exhaust our adrenal glands. You can do this.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

I was diagnosed hypothyroid last year. Since 90% of hypo cases are Hashi's i'm asusming that's what is causing it. It's a rough road for the first couple months of treatment if you are symptomatic, but once your meds a properly adjusted you'll be back to your normal self.

Also, besides gluten, thyroid patients should also avoid soy as much as possible.

There is also a list of foods considered goiterogens, which should not be eaten raw. (See link Below)

Open Original Shared Link

B Complex and Fish Oil daily seem to help as well

Gemini Experienced

Sorry to hear that you have Hashimotos. I refer to mine as the DEVIL. However, you can live well with it, I am .

Don't stress about it. Yes, that is easier said than done. Read the book by Dr. Datis Karrazhian. I have the ebook and will forward it to you if you like- just email me.

Also, if you decide to go on a T4 replacement don't get on Synthroid (not gluten-free). Request that the Dr. put you on Tirosint. It is in a gel capsule (no dyes, no fillers) and easy to take. If you are still consuming soy -- stop it! Only consume fermented, non-GMO soy which is only found in tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce (gluten-free). Otherwise what we eat in the USA is harmful to our health. Watch for soy in vitamins, canned and frozen foods, candy, ice cream, supplements, vit D3, tuna, mayo. It is everywhere. Soy destroys the thyroid.

Good luck to you. You will survive this - I promise!

To play devil's advocate here.....soy is not harmful for everyone with thyroid problems. I respect your opinion but it is an opinion only and not absolute fact. I do eat some soy and they are not all fermented, non-GMO soy products. I have had Hashi's for 20 years...way before my Celiac diagnosis of 6 years ago.

I do not consume soy within 4 hours of taking my thyroid hormone...this is pretty standard medical advice I have heard from many medical sources so assume it's a good, general guideline. I have brought my thyroid antibodies down from an astronomical 1200 to no detectable antibodies found in 6 years. My thyroid is stable and life is good.

I think people have to treat this on a case by case issue and if you are having trouble controlling your thyroid, then it may be prudent to cut out soy. Gluten does way more harm to the thyroid than soy does. I was able to totally calm down the inflammation in mine without eliminating soy. It took awhile because I was not diagnosed with Celiac until the age of 46 and I triggered as a child, when I look back at my health and symptoms. My thyroid has not been totally destroyed and considering how ridiculously high my antibodies were, I don't believe I could have healed this well if soy were so harmful. I am not intending this to be a soy war of words but felt people needed to hear the other side of the issue and not just assume non-fermented soy will kill you or some vital organs! :o All I did was follow a strict gluten-free diet, eat as many non-processed foods as possible, eat healthy and not obsess about it. Exercise is important also. I noticed bigger strides after starting a hard core exercise program. I also use Nature-throid natural hormone replacement, which includes T3, and that did the trick for me.

Oh yeah...and the goitro-genic veggies some doctors think you need to cut out? I think unless you are allergic to a specific veggie, cutting out healthy vegetables is plain dumb. I eat all the ones that are supposedly bad for thyroid disease and it never became an issue. It might be for some, but the many, many people I have spoken to with thyroid disease did not cut them out and with no ill effects. Not everything in print about thyroid disease is true for everyone on the planet.

Archived