This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foul Gas

Porcelina

Porcelina Contributor

Hi everyone. I have no idea if I have celiacs or if I'm gluten sensitive but I'm pretty text book for having stress related IBS.

Anyways, having IBS, I've always been very gassy, but never smelly. The past 2 weeks my gas has increased and it smells so bad, rotten egg like, that I'm grossing my bf out (I make his weekend beer benders seem pretty mild) and I'm passing gas on average every 5 mins. Its totally embarraing at work because of this. My stool has changed a wee bit too, I was always diahrreah prone with my ibs, but now it intermittantly changes between constipation and the runs. My bathroom issues have changed from what was once 'normal' for me.

I am not stressed out (which is my usual ibs trigger), but lately I have been exhausted for no reason (I'm fairly active, workout 5x a week) and I'm much more paler than usual (I'm pretty fair to start with). I eat very clean, mainly vegetarian (hence why I'm used to be gassy in the first place), chicken or fish a few times a month. Eating whole wheat triggers stomach cramps for sure as does raw carrots and sometimes I can be lactose intolerant.

Long story short, can sulfuric gas be a symptom of celiac/gluten intolerance? I know that excessive gas can be, but is SMELLY gas a symptom? I"ve ordered an at home celiac test and just waiting for it in the mail (I'm in Ontario Canada). I've tried elimination diets but nothings really working out for me here. (Maybe I'm not doing them long enough).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JSegura226 Apprentice

First of all welcome to the site =). I had the same exact problem 2 weeks before becoming extremely ill with a colon infection (lost 20+ lbs in 3 weeks) which in turn led me to believe I had celiac or gluten intolerance. I have always had stomach issues (IBS) that my doctor and myself blamed on stress or other neurological problems...Anyways.. I have had a little gas all my life and when I did it never smelled. 2 weeks prior to becoming extremely ill, I started having the gas you described. It seemed like it was coming out every 5 minutes and smelled like concentrated rotten eggs. Even my dogs did not want to come near me. Hell, I couldn't stand being near me LOL.. My doctor put me on a 7 days worth of flagyl which got rid of the gas, but my stomach issues only got worse for the following 3 weeks until I decided to go completely Gluten free. Are you having any pain in your left side or abnormal cramping lately? I ended up in the hospital 3 times during that period before realizing my issues were caused by gluten. I have been gluten free almost 3 weeks now and have never felt better.

If you decide to go gluten free, be sure to search the forums for a beginners diet and how to prepare your kitchen. My first 2 weeks Gluten free I ate nothing but steamed veggies, lean animal protein such as Chicken breast, white fish and consumed over 80 oz of water a day to help clear my system. You may experience gluten withdrawals during this detox period. Around week 3 I started adding things like nut butters with rice crackers and brown rice... You also have to worry about cross contamination. You cannot prepare meals in pots or pans that were once used to prepare meals/products that contained gluten. Scratches in these pots and pans can hold gluten residue and make you sick again. I also want to add that after going gluten free, you might become sensitive to food that you have never been sensitive to before. I had a couple reactions to avocado in my first week of the diet and I used to eat Guacamole at least once a week. If you do decide to try the diet, you have to stick to it fully for it to work. There is no half-assing it. I am sure some other people will chime in with much better info. Hope this helps.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I believe vegetables can cause sulphuric gas. :unsure:

You said you are mostly vegetarian...and only eat chicken or fish 2 times a month.

I would explode on that. :huh:

I do the exact opposite and eat mostly meat, chicken, and fish and eat vegetables one or two times a month! :rolleyes:

Ah! See how different we all are?

I rarely have gas..and never smelly gas...and the protein has helped with healing.

I would say try eating more protein and less vegetables...for sure less raw vegeatables.

But I seriously doubt you want to hear that. :)

Just my lil opinion. ;)

Porcelina Contributor

You said you are mostly vegetarian...and only eat chicken or fish 2 times a month.

I do the exact opposite and eat mostly meat, chicken, and fish and eat vegetables one or two times a month! :rolleyes:

I rarely have gas..and never smelly gas...and the protein has helped with healing.

I would say try eating more protein and less vegetables...for sure less raw vegeatables.

Just my lil opinion. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I used to cook/steam all veggies when I had bad bouts of ibs, but since I took up exercise, I seem to be able to digest them better (no stomach cramps). Certain veggies can for sure cause gas, cauliflower and broccoli for example are definatley linked to causing sulfuric gas. I dont eat these too often just for that reason!

I dont really have cramps too often, only when I have severe bloating and it won't release and then I actualy yelp and go white knuckled. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often as it feels like a sharp knife running through my intestines.

I'm not opposed to eating meat, my hubby is a hunter, I just never really liked the taste of it (but I do LOVE fresh fish!). Thats why I dont eat meat a lot.

BaldurBen Newbie

Smelly gas used to be one of my symptoms before I was diagnosed as a celiac. Especially after drinking dark beer... it got to be so bad that my friends refused to sit anywhere near me if I drank it.

• 2 weeks later...
tbritt Rookie

My doctor put me on a 7 days worth of flagyl which got rid of the gas, but my stomach issues only got worse for the following 3 weeks until I decided to go completely Gluten free.

When I got very ill, it manifest as pain in my shoulder and as terrible stomach pain and gas. My doctor thought I had a parasite so gave me Flagyl (without having done a test for parasites). I got better on it, probably because it killed off the overgrowth of bacteria. Once I was off it it, I got even worse. The doctor put me on 21 days of it and I got better, then worse again off of it.

Turns out, we figured out I was gluten intolerant after numerous visits to the doctor. After about 3 weeks of being gluten free I was much better. The joint problem in my shoulder took about 8 months to heal. I have been gluten free for about nine months and have never felt better.

Best of luck to you newcomers. It's difficult, but worth it if you need it.

Porcelina Contributor

Well I did a celiac test (IgA) and it came back negative. However, I'm on day 4 of going off gluten and all gas and bloating has stopped! I dont even have stomach cramps either. I'm going to go gluten free for a couple of weeks and see how I feel.

If I still feel crappy, I"ll get a food intolerance blood test done. Celiacs does not run in my family, however depression, ibs and fibromyalgia does (both my mother and grandmother, luckly I do not have fibro, just the other two). I'm hoping that gluten is the root cause of this and by cutting it out of our diet my family and I can lead a healthier and happier life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 months later...
mender8 Newbie

Just my lil opinion. ;)

Can you give me an example menu? I think the vegetable increase is what's giving me problems, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat for breakfast besides eggs and lunch besides salad.

• 1 year later...
SBlack Rookie

Hi not sure if this thread is still going since it's been awhile since the last post.  I am new to this and have only eaten gluten-free for a few weeks.  But I have to tell you that one of my worst symptoms was the horrible gas I had prior to going gluten free.  I mean - it was so bad that I HADDDDD to go to a doctor about it.  The smell was completely unbearable and it was making me sick to my stomach.  My husband was getting to the point that he really couldn't stand it.  Anyway - I've been gluten-free for almost a month now and I have to say that was the very first symptom that literally disappeared right away.  I haven't had anything like that since - not even close.  No bloating and all the other stomach stuff too - but sure enough....the gluten was causing my bad gas problem.

Thank goodness that is over - I couldn't stand being around myself when that was happening!!

• 2 years later...
alliebrie08 Newbie

I am having the same issues. How long does it take gluten to get out of your system and see relief?

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, alliebrie08 said:

I am having the same issues. How long does it take gluten to get out of your system and see relief?

Consider getting tested for celiac disease prior to going gluten free.  But, to answer your question, it can take a few months to several years to recover from celiac disease.  

• 1 year later...
Susan42 Newbie
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2011 at 11:58 AM, Porcelina said:

Well I did a celiac test (IgA) and it came back negative. However, I'm on day 4 of going off gluten and all gas and bloating has stopped! I dont even have stomach cramps either. I'm going to go gluten free for a couple of weeks and see how I feel.

If I still feel crappy, I"ll get a food intolerance blood test done. Celiacs does not run in my family, however depression, ibs and fibromyalgia does (both my mother and grandmother, luckly I do not have fibro, just the other two). I'm hoping that gluten is the root cause of this and by cutting it out of our diet my family and I can lead a healthier and happier life!

Yes I too had a celiac test done, came out negative, but all the symptoms of celiac are there. Yes, my gas is so horrendously foul, I can't stand it myself, it is embarrassing! So I am researching foods that cause gas.  I guess one thing I haven't done so far , is to wash/clean all areas of the kitchen that are gluten contaminated! Thanks for all responses.

• 2 years later...
stevej Newbie
On 6/12/2013 at 12:37 PM, SBlack said:

one of my worst symptoms was the horrible gas I had prior to going gluten free.  I mean - it was so bad that I HADDDDD to go to a doctor about it.  The smell was completely unbearable and it was making me sick to my stomach.  My husband was getting to the point that he really couldn't stand it. 

We are concerned our daughter may have celiac disease due to distended stomach.  She has developed hypothyroidism which has a known connection to celiac disease and we know at least our son is gluten-sensitive (their mother is latino and the America's never used wheat in the diet so the genes usually can't tolerate it as well). Before we switched to gluten-free bread due to our son's excessive gas, we also noticed our daughter's gas had a strange smell.  I can only describe it as "sickly sweet", along with some of the normal rotten egg smell. It was a weird smell, nothing like I've smelled before.  So I am wondering if celiac disease causes a particular kind of smell.

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 hours ago, stevej said:

We are concerned our daughter may have celiac disease due to distended stomach.  She has developed hypothyroidism which has a known connection to celiac disease and we know at least our son is gluten-sensitive (their mother is latino and the America's never used wheat in the diet so the genes usually can't tolerate it as well). Before we switched to gluten-free bread due to our son's excessive gas, we also noticed our daughter's gas had a strange smell.  I can only describe it as "sickly sweet", along with some of the normal rotten egg smell. It was a weird smell, nothing like I've smelled before.  So I am wondering if celiac disease causes a particular kind of smell.

There is no known smell for a person who has celiac disease. You should have your daughter tested to determine if she has celiac disease.  She must be on a full gluten diet for 8 to 12 weeks or the tests could be invalid.  All celiac disease testing (including intestinal biopsies) requires the patient to be on a gluten diet.  

You should determine the source of her hyperthyroidism.  Is it autoimmune?  Did she have thyroid antibodies testing?  

Celiac disease causes malabsorption in the intestine.  So, gas and bloating are common.  Celiacs are often deficient in enzymes needed to digest foods like lactose (dairy).   

Posterboy Mentor
9 hours ago, stevej said:

Stevej,

Cyclinglady is right...no distinct gas smell for Celiac disease...try looking into SIBO...it can have a distinct "foul smelling gas" depending on what type of SIBO she might have...also think about trying some Pepto Bismol....to see if it helps with the smelly gas...see end of article where they talk about Bismuth aka Pepto Bismol....

Here is a link about it...

https://sibosurvivor.com/hydrogen-sulfide-sibo/

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

cyclinglady Grand Master
6 hours ago, Posterboy said:

Stevej,

Cyclinglady is right...no distinct gas smell for Celiac disease...try looking into SIBO...it can have a distinct "foul smelling gas" depending on what type of SIBO she might have...also think about trying some Pepto Bismol....to see if it helps with the smelly gas...see end of article where they talk about Bismuth aka Pepto Bismol....

Posterboy,

This is terrible advice.  Kids should not be given Pepto Bismo unless it is the new kid version and depending on the child’s age.    Kids should not take aspirin-based medication due to Reye Syndrome.  This child was not diagnosed with anything.  You do not know this child.  

This is why giving out medical advice without being a doctor, having a clinical history, whatever......is dangerous.  Your disclaimer is a lie.   You ARE giving out medical advice!  

STOP!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
20 hours ago, stevej said:

Have you had either tested for celiac? If not that should be done. If the only gluten free changes you have done is to switch to a different bread they likely are not gluten free but it would be best to go back to a gluten bread for 2 to 3 months before blood testing.

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Have you had either tested for celiac? If not that should be done. If the only gluten free changes you have done is to switch to a different bread they likely are not gluten free but it would be best to go back to a gluten bread for 2 to 3 months before blood testing.

This is what I would say.  ?

Posterboy Mentor
On 9/26/2019 at 8:10 AM, stevej said:

17 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

This is terrible advice.  Kids should not be given Pepto Bismo unless it is the new kid version and depending on the child’s age.    Kids should not take aspirin-based medication due to Reye Syndrome.  This child was not diagnosed with anything.  You do not know this child.  

This is why giving out medical advice without being a doctor, having a clinical history, whatever......is dangerous.  Your disclaimer is a lie.   You ARE giving out medical advice!  

STOP!

Stevej,

Cylinglady is right!....I was trying to answer a couple threads at one time...and confused the symptom's of someone's  child who was older....please disregard ...my earlier advise...and check with your doctors...

Here is a link about the issues Cyclinglady raised about children and Pepto issues.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/pepto-bismol-and-kids-2634641

Listen to Cyclinglady...I was wrong and wrong for commenting...

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
23 hours ago, Posterboy said:

Stevej,

Posterboy,

Cyclinglady,

If you can delete this post please do so...I know how to edit it in the first 24 hours but I am not sure if I can delete my own post or not...I often become Myopic...thinking about one symptom....I see now how I was trying to diagnose others...my CONTEXT was wrong...and I was WRONG to comment on something I knew nothing about...other than something I had read in a book/on the internet....somethings to quote Eric Church...you don't learn in a book.....experience is a dear school but a fool will learn in no other...

Posterboy,

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Posterboy said:

Cyclinglady,

If you can delete this post please do so...I know how to edit it in the first 24 hours but I am not sure if I can delete my own post or not...I often become Myopic...thinking about one symptom....I see now how I was trying to diagnose others...my CONTEXT was wrong...and I was WRONG to comment on something I knew nothing about...other than something I had read in a book/on the internet....somethings to quote Eric Church...you don't learn in a book.....experience is a dear school but a fool will learn in no other...

Posterboy,

Unfortunately, I can not delete the post.  I am only a moderator and have limited functions.    Once you post on the internet, it can have lasting effects.  

You have celiac disease and have experienced many things in your personal life that may help other celiacs.  Consider just discussing those personal experiences and to avoid dispensing medical advice which is illegal and not safe.  I know you want to help people.   We all do not want other celiacs or undiagnosed diagnosed celiacs (or NCGS) to suffer for years dealing with this often devastating autoimmune disorder or gluten sensitivity.  I know you can change your ways.  Think carefully before you post.  

To make this transition (it is hard to change a behavior), private message a moderator (like me) to ask for an opinion or ask your family, friends or clergyman to proof your posts.  Sometimes a second set of eyes is helpful.  ?

GFinDC Veteran

Celiac can indeed cause lots of gas/bloating in the stomach and gut.  I don't think there is a characteristic odor as the smell would be related to the food that was eaten and the bacteria consuming it so it could vary between people and gut biota.

Celiac damage can interfere with digestion of any food, not just wheat, rye and barley.  A typical problem though is problems digesting dairy.  Celiac can damage the villi lining the small intestine.  Those villi produce an enzyme that digest dairy sugar (lactose), so a person becomes lactose intolerant.

Just to get off topic again;

This article on Mayo site has some Reye's info.  They think in some Reye's may be linked to an inherited problem with fatty-acid metabolism.  That fatty-acid metabolism issue is something a child can be tested for.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/reyes-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20377255

Risk factors

The following factors — usually when they occur together — may increase your child's risk of developing Reye's syndrome:

• Using aspirin to treat a viral infection, such as flu, chickenpox or an upper respiratory infection
  • Having an underlying fatty acid oxidation disorder
kabons Apprentice

Hey! I'm also from Ontario :)

So, I don't know if smelly gas is related so much to Celiac or just gut issues in general. But I can say I very much have this problem. When it happens, I isolate myself in my room. I can end up passing gas every 5min for 8h or so (throughout the night often). It reeks! Sometimes I feel like the smell is like burnt rubber... I have no idea what causes it, but generally don't have a lot of clarity on what causes a lot of my gut problems!

W3CG Newbie

I have diagnosed Celiac Disease and I know when I am exposed to gluten by the increased amount of gas and the foul odor that goes with it. I am super super attentive and careful about what I eat, cooking almost exclusively at home. My issues arise with my medications. The foul smelling gas and somewhat looser stools are a way for me to be alert to Gluten sneaking in my body and to be able to try and track the source as soon as possible. It usually goes on for weeks on a daily basis until my medication is changed. It is different than eating something that makes you gassy. I realize everyone's body responds differently and I have been told I am a very sensitive Celiac, so this might be more rare.

I inquire about my medicines regularly and have some of them compounded because we could not find them Gluten Free through regular pharmacy suppliers. Unfortunately, most are made overseas and the quality control varies by country so even though I call each time the NDC number changes (pharmacy chain management change suppliers often to save money), I may not be getting accurate information. I am posting this for those who might have concerns about medications being Gluten Free.

kabons Apprentice
6 minutes ago, W3CG said:

I have diagnosed Celiac Disease and I know when I am exposed to gluten by the increased amount of gas and the foul odor that goes with it. I am super super attentive and careful about what I eat, cooking almost exclusively at home. My issues arise with my medications. The foul smelling gas and somewhat looser stools are a way for me to be alert to Gluten sneaking in my body and to be able to try and track the source as soon as possible. It usually goes on for weeks on a daily basis until my medication is changed. It is different than eating something that makes you gassy. I realize everyone's body responds differently and I have been told I am a very sensitive Celiac, so this might be more rare.

I inquire about my medicines regularly and have some of them compounded because we could not find them Gluten Free through regular pharmacy suppliers. Unfortunately, most are made overseas and the quality control varies by country so even though I call each time the NDC number changes (pharmacy chain management change suppliers often to save money), I may not be getting accurate information. I am posting this for those who might have concerns about medications being Gluten Free.

Hey! This is interesting. So, you have these reactions from your medications not being entirely gluten-free? Or, are you saying you take these medications to help control these symptoms?