Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Apparently Not Celiac But Still Worried.

4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have been on here before, describing symptoms and whatnot, I just wanted to give a final update and see what you all think.

About now, 8 months ago I began having stomach issues, it started slow but then developed into terrible attacks whenever I would eat anything with any significant fat in it, it would start with heartburn, turn into intermittent nausea, urgency and sometimes even the runs. It was mostly random, but definitely aggravated by stress and fat. I had a bunch of testing and they found nothing, and said if it continues to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy. 6 months later, I got those tests too. After I woke up, he said I have celiac

Ads by Google:

Ok, so I have been on here before, describing symptoms and whatnot, I just wanted to give a final update and see what you all think.

About now, 8 months ago I began having stomach issues, it started slow but then developed into terrible attacks whenever I would eat anything with any significant fat in it, it would start with heartburn, turn into intermittent nausea, urgency and sometimes even the runs. It was mostly random, but definitely aggravated by stress and fat. I had a bunch of testing and they found nothing, and said if it continues to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy. 6 months later, I got those tests too. After I woke up, he said I have celiac

GFMama answered very well. I concur on the gallbladder. Here are a few other things, though.

A lot of people feel worse when they start gluten free. The body will go through withdrawal. Also, people start reacting to smaller amounts of gluten, so foods that were fine before might not be after a few weeks. Additionally, your villi are damaged, which limits your ability to consume large amounts of any one food, such as dairy.

3 weeks is no time at all. It may have seemed like a long time, but a true gluten-free test would last at least 6 months. Saying that you should respond in three weeks is unheard of. It takes months just to get the diet down so that you're not making mistakes, and any one mistake can lead to symptoms up to a week.

A biopsy trumps bloodwork every time.

IBS is not a diagnosis, and any doctor describing it as such isn't any good. It's like going to the doctor and saying your head hurts, and him diagnosing you as having a headache. That's nice & all, but you need to know what's causing the symptoms in the first place.

You need to go back gluten free, check everything you're eating to find out if it was cross-contaminated in factory, learn the labeling laws, check all your meds, supplements, and hygiene products, and stay that way for at least 6 months, to see if you improve. And chuck this new doctor!

Ditto and double ditto...these two said it best!!!

I am thinking a positive gene test

plus

blunted villi

equals

celiac.

Blood tests are often wrong.

You felt lousy for 3 weeks because you had gluten withdrawal.

IBS is NOT a diagnosis. It's a catch-all that leaves millions undiagnosed for other diseases, including celiac. Any GI doctor who is too lazy to test says "you just have IBS" and loads you up with drugs. You still suffer every day .

The question is always...WHY IS my BOWEL Irritable?? It's irritable for SOME reason!!!! :blink:

This is my humble opinion.... and 12 years of a bogus "IBS diagnosis" myself.

3 months gluten free--and a proper diagnosis-- and I feel better than I have in years. IBS--what a load of crap. :lol:

Go with your "gut"...stay off gluten AND dairy for at least 6 months and see how you feel. It takes 6 months to 2 years to heal. As you say, you don't want to find out down the road that you made a huge mistake.

Of course, the decision is ultimately yours. Best wishes!!