- - - - -

Gf Pastry

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:54 PM

OK- so my VERY favorite magazine in the world is Cook's Illustrated. It is a test kitchen, where they try out countless variations on recipes, both complex and basic, to make them perfect. This months issue had articles on brownies, which I am excited to try out (with a four substitution of course.) I think it should transfer well.
But it ALSO had an article on baklava, a very favorite, special special treat for me. I was practically drooling on the page. :( But I think phyllo dough (or frozen pastry, however it is described) is an inherently "wheat-y"' product.

So, the Big Question:
Has anybody seen, heard of, or tried making gluten-free phyllo dough? Do you think it is possible? Can you even make the normal kind? Or does it have to be bought?

thanks for any and all input herre. I have a need to bake.

Libby

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:54 PM

Libby,

Phyllo dough is SO incredibly thin that I seriously doubt a gluten-free version is even possible! Even regular phyllo takes so much time and effort to make that it really isn't worth it for most people.

A baklava substitute is one of those things that have been floating around in the back of my mind. I'll post the recipe if I ever come up with one!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: