This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Foods Versus Junk Food

catsmeow

catsmeow Contributor

It's my one year wheat/gluten free anniversary. One year ago this month my sister and I figured out that I had a wheat allergy (later confirmed by my doctor). Today, I was reflecting on how my (and family's) eating habits have changed for the better.

Because of this wheat allergy, I've been forced over the past year to make most of my food from scratch because 99.9% of processed foods have wheat (and hidden wheat) in the ingredients list. Yet lately, the stores are coming up with all these processed gluten free foods, I've discovered that I don't like processed food anymore.

I think we Americans have eaten so much fast foods and processed foods that we have lost our way/taste buds for fresh wholesome home cooked food. In some ways, having a wheat allergy has forced me to eat healthier and to feed my family healthier. For that, I am grateful, and I have found that Cooking simple whole foods is just as easy as cooking up the junk.

I wish more people would get back to the basics of real food. Our health and the health of our children are worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

It's my one year wheat/gluten free anniversary. One year ago this month my sister and I figured out that I had a wheat allergy (later confirmed by my doctor). Today, I was reflecting on how my (and family's) eating habits have changed for the better.

Because of this wheat allergy, I've been forced over the past year to make most of my food from scratch because 99.9% of processed foods have wheat (and hidden wheat) in the ingredients list. Now that the stores are coming up with all these processed gluten free foods, I've discovered that I don't like processed food anymore.

I think we Americans have eaten so much fast foods and processed foods that we have lost our way/taste buds for fresh wholesome home cooked food. In some ways, having a wheat allergy has forced me to eat healthier and to feed my family healthier. For that, I am grateful, and I have found that Cooking simple whole foods is just as easy as cooking up the junk.

I wish more people would get back to the basics of real food. Our health and the health of our children is worth it.

I completely agree with you about being forced to eat healthier and cook from scratch. That is the one positive that I have found.

JSegura226 Apprentice

+1 to that! My whole family thinks I am crazy that I cook all my meals with whole foods from scratch. I don't know why but they automatically think whole foods = bland...Which is just so far from the truth hehe. I have never felt better! I have tons of energy and am loving every minute of it.. They can sit there with their big mac and be bloated and feel lethargic all day.. While i eat my Chicken breast with asparagus and feel great and healthy!

Marilyn R Community Regular

:)I'm with you, Trish!

Someone wrote a letter to the editor in our local newspaper a few months ago about how everyone advises you should eat more fruits and vegetables, but it's so much cheaper to swing by the fast food joints for her and her family.

I thought about that letter last weekend when I cut up a whole chicken (ew, hated it) purchased for less than $6. We had really nice bbq chicken (moist for a change) marinated in grapefruit juice (they're 10 for $1.00 where I live right now). I used the back and tail and other bits and pieces to make chicken stock. I made my stock in a pressure cooker, but it's easy to make stock in a slow cooker or regular pan. I've already had chicken vegetable rice soup twice since then, and had enough to share with a neighbor.

I used to spend quite a bit on fancy marinades. I don't miss them a bit. And I don't miss Rice a Roni at $1.25 - $1.39 per box. I can buy five pounds of rice for five bucks and add all the seasonings for a fraction of the cost without all the additives.

In some ways, I think the gluten-free diet set me free. I can't be mainstream America shoveling fast food down my throat. I can save money my purchasing whole foods and preserving some of them, and packing my lunches vs. eating out, and cooking dinners at home vs. going out to eat.

I understand the shock for newly diagnosed people at not being able to just jump in a car and go eat somewhere, but I thnk our quality of life has improved by home meals and whole foods. We have lively discussions about what we're going to eat and grade each meal. (Tonight was a solid B, last night was an A!) It's probably harder for younger peeps, but then they're lucky because they got diagnosed before the really horrid stuff started happening.

Long story shot, I agree :)

Archived