10 replies to this topic

#1 salexander421

salexander421

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

I think I'm having a reaction to this. I emailed the company but have not heard back yet. Their label says it's made in a dairy, egg, soy, and nut free facility but does not say anything about gluten in their facilities. Just wondering.
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi.

Their website lists their cheeses as gluten free. My Celiac daughter has eaten the mozzarella with no problem. I noticed that you're newly diagnosed. You may have other food intolerances such as soy (the basis of the Daiya cheese). I, myself, found out that I'm super soy sensitive about a couple of months after going gluten free. Soy, corn, and dairy intolerances often coexist with gluten issues.

Jillian
Jillian

I was dx Celiac 2008 + casein, soy, legume, & nightshade intolerant; dx hypothyroid 2006

14 yr. old daughter dx Celiac + plus casein & soy intolerant 2008
12 yr. old daughter dx gluten intolerant 2008
9 yr. old son dx Celiac 2008 + casein intolerant. DH Rash.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

I just can't eat too much of the stuff. (And now that I got a stomach virus after having made fake mac'n'cheese, I"m not sure I'll eat the stuff agian. :) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Daiya Foods

Daiya Foods

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

We haven't received an email from anyone with a complaint of this nature, would you be able to contact us at cr@daiyafoods.com? We also saw this on twitter and have replied to try and speak with you but haven't had a response yet.

Thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.

Shnane Liem
Daiya Foods

#5 Daiya Foods

Daiya Foods

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi Jillian,

Our products are actually tapioca based, making them soy-free. Daiya is also free of many common allergens including dairy (casein and lactose), gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nuts (expect coconut oil). We have our own dedicated production facility that is free of all these allergens, eliminating the potential of cross contamination. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us directly cr@daiyafoods.com.

Shnane Liem
Daiya Foods

#6 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

I don't have any problems with it. It is dairy, lactose, casein, soy and gluten free. Taste like american cheese not cheddar, but it better then nothing when you need cheese. Best non-dairy cheese I have found as far as taste and melting.

#7 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hello,

We haven't received an email from anyone with a complaint of this nature, would you be able to contact us at cr@daiyafoods.com? We also saw this on twitter and have replied to try and speak with you but haven't had a response yet.

Thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.

Shnane Liem
Daiya Foods

I did receive an email back, thanks for your reply! I don't have a twitter account so you must be talking about someone else. I'm not sure what it was but me and my 2 girls had reactions to it. All of the ingredients seem to be things we don't normally have problems with so that's why I sent an email about possible cross contamination. I was also confused because, although the package says gluten free on the front, on the back it just says "Made in a facility free of animal products, milk, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts (excluding coconut)"...it doesn't say anything about the facility being free of gluten. I am sad that we can't have this since it is a wonderful replacement for real cheese :( Maybe we will try it in a few months when we are better healed. Thanks!
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#8 mszaida

mszaida

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

My two daughters and I started on Daiya cheese a month ago. My 3 year old would get the biggest pimple on her nose within twenty minutes of eating the cheese. I had to take the second bag back to whole foods. I don't know what to do because she has an allergy to dairy and this was the only substitute I know of and she is reacting to it. I am not sure what is in the ingredients that is causing it. No other coconut products cause this.

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

You might look into "raw cheese" recipes. They're generally made from nuts.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 banta

banta

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I am not gluten-free or celiac, but have some lactose intolerance and my daughter has some severe casein allergies. I've tried Daiya a number of times myself, as I enjoy the flavor. I've tried the shreds, the wedges and the Amy's dairy-free mac n cheese with Daiya. Each time I've eaten it, I've become VIOLENTLY ill within a few hours. Like food poisoning-type ill. At first I thought I did have food poisoning, but I only had this reaction after I ate something with Daiya in it.  I am DEFINITELY not giving it to my daughter.

I have NEVER reacted to any other non-dairy cheese in this manner, and I've tried quite a few. I contacted Daiya, and they suggested that perhaps it is too rich for me to digest properly? I don't know about that, but I do know that if you're in the market for cheese alternatives, I would suggest Follow Your Heart instead of Daiya, at least for the mozzarella. I enjoy that from time to time with no ill effects.

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

We have used Daiya shredded cheese substitutes for months and never had a problem yet... or at least anything that we have noticed. We'll keep using it.  My son is dairy free (and has a nut allergy) and it's the only way he can have his pizza or mac n cheese now a days.  I like it sprinkled onto an egg bake or in tacos.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: