This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sensitivity Vs. Cd

Martyg

Martyg Apprentice

Hi:

Still trying to process the last blood test I had done. Seems I am positive on Antigliadin IgA and t-Transblutaminase (tTg) Iga, but negative on Antigliadin, IgG, Reticulin Iga Ab and Reticulin IgG Ab.

I have Hashi's thyroid (since '99) with antithyroid antibodies over 500, IBS-D since the early '60's. I have already begun the gluten free diet. I will not go for the biopsy. I am a 30 year vegatarian and 7 years vegan. I also tested last year and found food allergies for soy, corn, corn gluten, sugar, broccoli, kale, osyter. Have put some back into my diet after being off of these for over 6 months

I guess my question is...........what is the difference, if any, between sensitivity and all out celiac disease. I know the treatment is the same.....diet. But what happens if you have some gluten? I ask because we will be traveling in October and I am not sure if I will be able to find something for breakfast. Because of so many limitations with my diet, just wondered if I eat one or two breakfasts with gluten, how far back that might put me.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

Marty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

The main difference is that if you are sensitive, and you consume gluten, the consequences will make you uncomfortable, so to speak (headache, fatigue, stomache--things of that nature). But if its Celiac, consuming gluten will actually damage your intestines. ...and over time will put you at a higher risk for MANY other diseases--including cancer. I would say its very likely you have Celiac, not just an intolerance, especially since you have Hashi's...autoimmune disease, esp thyroid, are common in people with Celiac.

I suggest you read up on Celiac--not sure how much you've read ? Go here:

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-31105229066.96 There is a TON of info on this page, related to all types of questions about Celiac.

There are actually several threads going on right now about traveling and what gluten-free food to bring. It is possible to eat gluten-free while away from home. It is definitely doable...and definitely worth it :)

Go to the two links below for ideas:

Open Original Shared Link

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I think Glutino makes a cereal bar that you could have. They're packed in single serving bars just like a nutri-grain bar. If you eat a breakfast with gluten, you may not enjoy your day as much. It seems not worth it. How about hard boiled eggs? I didn't see eggs in your list. Baggies with cold cereal? Kinnikinnick has bread products with no casein and no soy. You could read over some of their ingredients lists and see if they have anything.

cdford Contributor

Gluten sensitivity is also a precurser to celiac disease. Until the damage is verifiable in the gut, celiac disease is not formally diagnosed. They call it gluten sensitivity. If a gluten sensitive person continues to take in gluten, they can eventually also have the gut damage that qualifies for the celiac disease diagnosis.

Nevadan Contributor
Hi:

I guess my question is...........what is the difference, if any, between sensitivity and all out celiac disease. 

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

Marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to look at the following link; it has what I consider an excellent overview of the effects of gluten sensitivity as being much more than just celiac disease related: Open Original Shared Link

I discovered my gluten sensitivity by going gluten-free and seeing my abdominal bloat, gas, and constipation problems go away within 48 hrs. Subsequently I have been tested by Enterolab which found gluten sensitivity, no malabsorption problem, and no genetic probability to celiac disease (no DQ2 or DQ8); however I have DQ1. According to some articles like the above one, celiac disease is only one presentation of gluten sensitivity - and maybe not the worst. The DQ2&8 AND DQ1 predispose some people to things like serious neurological diseases and who knows what else (I'm trying to research this now.). I now take "gluten sensitivity" much more seriously than when I first got my Enterolab results.

Good luck.

George

skbird Contributor

Yeah, sensitivity can be more than just being uncomfortable when you eat gluten. You can have other damage occurring, maybe not just in your gut. If you have antibodies, you have an autoimmune reaction going on. Since you already have Hashimoto's Thyroid diagnosis, you know something about autoimmune disorders.

Some people find the longer they are gluten free, the more they react to it. Just yesterday I was having stomach problems, a major migraine and serious mood problems (sobbing for no real reason) and it turned out the Tums I was taking contain some amount of gluten. I should just know now whenever I start having roller coaster emotions that I have been glutened. That is the only time now I ever get that way.

It scares me to think that I can react emotionally like that to a hint of gluten. Since I do make antibodies, what damage are they causing in me? I wonder about this and it scares me. I think about my dad and grandmother who share a lot of similar symptoms as me - my grandmother died of Alzheimers disease. Who knows if there is a connection there but as I have a gene specific for neurological gluten intolerance, I want to avoid like the plague. I wish I could get my dad on board, but the old dog, new tricks thing is hard to get past.

Would hate to add more restrictions to a vegan diet. I hate adding any more restrictions to my already way too restricted diet. It's possible the longer you stick with the diet, though, the more good foods you'll find and the better you'll feel.

Stephanie

Martyg Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I now have more understanding of the disease. I will continue to read and research.

The diet is difficult but managable at home. Don't know if family members had it, but Mom, Dad and my brother all had hypothyroid. My Mom died at 80, heart attack, Dad at 94, hit by a car, and my brother is 70 and still alive.

My husband and I have talked about taking a cooler (since we will be driving) when we go on vacation this year. That will help with breakfast. Restaurants are readily available and I am sure that I will be able to work this out.

Stomach is a little less noisy since I've stopped the gluten, but I am quite sure that it will take a good amount of time to feel other changes.

In about 3 months I will do another thyroid antibodies and see if the numbers have come down.

Marty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Marty-

These sites below might help you with gluten-free traveling ideas...

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1167

www.clanthompson.com/res_news_whatsnew.php3

Archived