4 replies to this topic

#1 Rickbscuba

Rickbscuba

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Since 2007 I've noticed my fingertips and sometimes heels cracking/spliting as a result of Gluten diet. Cut out Gluten and this goes away. Also, loss of some sensation in my fingertips as well.

Has anyone else presented with this and any tips outside the obvious Gluten free diet?

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

My hub gets this on his fingers. The dermatologist said he has destroyed layers of skin. She gave him some anti-fungals to use first, just to make sure there wasn't anything gross growing there. Then he is to dampen his hands slather up with Cerave cream (told me its gluten-free about 1 year ago) & wear cotton gloves to bed. He also uses the Cerave during the day. He puts Liquid Skin (like a glue) on the cracks (not sure if gluten-free).

Olive oil will soak in well then cover with Cerave or chapstick. the key is to constantly re-apply all day.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 keithceliac2010

keithceliac2010

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Welcome Rickscuba!! Yes, I can definitely relate to the cracked heals issue. I suffered from terrible rough and cracking skin all over my feet(not just limited to my heals) Of main concern was the dry cracking on my toes. In fact, the cracks went so deep(almost to my bone) that I developed ulcers on my toes, which led to infection, which in turn led to amputation of my big toe and 2nd toe on my left foot(I am not diabetic) Had 4 foot surgeries and doctors had no answer as to why this was occurring in my feet. Recently, I have developed the same cracking on my right foot and toes on right foot-also get tingling and burning in them regularly. I have been gluten free for 9 weeks now and my physical and mental health have improved tremendously. I know that neuropathy can develop in feet and hands of celiacs/gluten intolerance and I do have neuropathy as well in both my feet. I am hoping that whatever the issue with my feet, that staying gluten free will turn things around with my feet, otherwise may require amputation of toe on my right foot. I do not have any advice for remedies for you but thought I would at least share my similar story with you. Good luck.

#4 Rickbscuba

Rickbscuba

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

My hub gets this on his fingers. The dermatologist said he has destroyed layers of skin. She gave him some anti-fungals to use first, just to make sure there wasn't anything gross growing there. Then he is to dampen his hands slather up with Cerave cream (told me its gluten-free about 1 year ago) & wear cotton gloves to bed. He also uses the Cerave during the day. He puts Liquid Skin (like a glue) on the cracks (not sure if gluten-free).

Olive oil will soak in well then cover with Cerave or chapstick. the key is to constantly re-apply all day.

Thank you for your feed back. I am happy (I guess) that there are others who can share some tips for me regarding this strange situation

#5 Rickbscuba

Rickbscuba

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Welcome Rickscuba!! Yes, I can definitely relate to the cracked heals issue. I suffered from terrible rough and cracking skin all over my feet(not just limited to my heals) Of main concern was the dry cracking on my toes. In fact, the cracks went so deep(almost to my bone) that I developed ulcers on my toes, which led to infection, which in turn led to amputation of my big toe and 2nd toe on my left foot(I am not diabetic) Had 4 foot surgeries and doctors had no answer as to why this was occurring in my feet. Recently, I have developed the same cracking on my right foot and toes on right foot-also get tingling and burning in them regularly. I have been gluten free for 9 weeks now and my physical and mental health have improved tremendously. I know that neuropathy can develop in feet and hands of celiacs/gluten intolerance and I do have neuropathy as well in both my feet. I am hoping that whatever the issue with my feet, that staying gluten free will turn things around with my feet, otherwise may require amputation of toe on my right foot. I do not have any advice for remedies for you but thought I would at least share my similar story with you. Good luck.

Wow, Thank you for the story. Sounds like a rough road for you. I will do my best to not let things get to this point. The body is a crazy beast isn't it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: