3 replies to this topic

#1 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Are any of you plagued with Nocturnal Diarrhea that comes on in the middle of the night?

I know for myself - I usually am awoken about 1 to 3 a.m. and have to go to the bathroom either with watery, semi hard or even regular urgency. This might continue once an hour up to about 6:30 to 7:00 a.m. It is really annoying and it so disturbs trying to get a good night's sleep. I have never had an accident - but you sure know that your colon is calling you....

Is there anything you can do about this? I know I am not bothered all day - but somewhere between 7 to 8 hours after eating - this comes on..... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

For me that is typical of a glutening. When I was finally diagnosed I mentioned to my GI that it was nice to finally have a full nights sleep. He had diagnosed me for years with IBS. When I made that statement he said 'why didn't you tell me you were being woken up at night, that isn't an IBS symptom that is typical of celiac'. I had told him but he wasn't listening. :angry: I spent my last 5 years prediagnosis getting up painfully sick every night around 2 or 3 am. lasting for about 3 hours before it would finally stop.
Are you being very strict with the diet? Have you checked everything that goes into or onto your body? If you are sure you don't have gluten sneaking in somewhere perhaps you have an additional intolerance like soy or dairy.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

I am not eating gluten - been free for 3 months and I do not have dairy either - but I have noticed that if I eat too much starch or sugar - I tend to have problems. I cannot tolerate potatoes, rice, cereals, fruits and vegetables or fructose very well. Problem is, when I stay off complex carbohydrates - I tend to always feel hungry. :(

Even though I am gluten free - I still am having problems with foods. Once I have the nocturnal diarrhea - I am usually good for the day - not always - but most of the time. I do not know why it takes so long to have a reaction and why it happens during the night....

#4 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

That is the first I have heard of that being a typical symptom. So many little things that docs keep missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: