Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Get Sick From Eating Bananas?

• Please log in to reply

28 replies to this topic

#16 tguy

tguy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I see lots of people can eat bananas where they have sensitivities to other foods. And comments that bananas are easy to digest. If I eat a banana I get crippling stomach pain and usually vomit. I can eat banana cake just fine.

I am wondering if anyone has the same experience or has an idea of why. It might help me work out what other foods I need to avoid. I am suspecting tomatoes and potatoes and perhaps gluten-free pasta so far.

I was jst wondering about this too, im not sure if they make me sick to my stomach bcause i havent even been gluten free for a month and well i felt like that all the time im slowly starting to feel better its been about 4-5 days gluten-free. however i was just peeling a banana and was thinking....i dont like these lol they've been hard for me to swallow ever since i was a little kid. i will ask my gastro as im seeing him in an hr or so. but the reason im wondering is they make me gag ever since toddler days, I eat them for the protein potassium and fiber nothing more.....bannana cakes and baked goods dont have that effect on my i love them, this is a weird topic im definately going to figure this out.....JUST SO I AM CLEAR THOUGH, BANANAS ARE GLUTEN-FREE RIGHT?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Yes, Bananas are completely gluten free.
There was a proponent of the banana diet for Celiac kids before they knew the real cause of the illness was gluten.
Celiac kids in those days were fed only bananas.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#18 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

I was jst wondering about this too, im not sure if they make me sick to my stomach bcause i havent even been gluten free for a month and well i felt like that all the time im slowly starting to feel better its been about 4-5 days gluten-free. however i was just peeling a banana and was thinking....i dont like these lol they've been hard for me to swallow ever since i was a little kid. i will ask my gastro as im seeing him in an hr or so. but the reason im wondering is they make me gag ever since toddler days, I eat them for the protein potassium and fiber nothing more.....bannana cakes and baked goods dont have that effect on my i love them, this is a weird topic im definately going to figure this out.....JUST SO I AM CLEAR THOUGH, BANANAS ARE GLUTEN-FREE RIGHT?

omg YES bananas are gluten free!!!!!

and i totally relate- bananas in baked goods dont make me sick at all!!!
most of the times-as long as i eat the banana WITH SOMETHING... yogurt, almond butter, toast, im fine- but by itself- i could be throwing up
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#19 nerdolicious

nerdolicious

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

Bananas make me super sick too! I just get really nauseated for a few hours, definitely not as bad as getting glutened. It makes me sad since I love love love bananas and peanut butter together.

#20 Karl Otto

Karl Otto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

I see lots of people can eat bananas where they have sensitivities to other foods. And comments that bananas are easy to digest. If I eat a banana I get crippling stomach pain and usually vomit. I can eat banana cake just fine.

I am wondering if anyone has the same experience or has an idea of why. It might help me work out what other foods I need to avoid. I am suspecting tomatoes and potatoes and perhaps gluten-free pasta so far.

I have a problem with bananas and, I have had Celiac Disease for a very long time and, I have give up eating them all together. I have had Celiac Disease for decades after decades before it was discovered in me. I am 57 year old male. My youngest son, has been having problems eith them as well. It makes him sick if he eats more than one third of the bananas. Some mornings he cannot tolerate them at all. My small intestine have been really ruined by this disease. It will take me many, many years to heal if I ever do. I also have had Hypoinsulinism condition since birth which was not addressed until recently and, I am now dieing of all these condition. My choice of foods is very limited now days.

#21 Kim69

Kim69

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Sad that so many of us can't eat bananas on top of everything else!
May 2010 Diagnosed coeliac via biopsy - on gluten-free diet, now not anaemic
March 2010 Still Anaemic and very fatigued, abdominal pain still (Drs had thought it was related to abdom operation)
May 2009 Anaemic - had abdominal surgery; hysterectomy to remove large fibroid
March 2009 Vestibular neuritus (not sure if related but who knows!)
November 2008 Depression (still on meds - working well)

#22 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Bananas make me super sick too! I just get really nauseated for a few hours, definitely not as bad as getting glutened. It makes me sad since I love love love bananas and peanut butter together.

they even make u sick with the peanut butter???? cause if i eat some almond butter with mine or toast or whatever, im usually fine... it's if it's by itself am in trouble
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#23 Boss'Wife

Boss'Wife

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I just read all your posts, helpful information. Thank you , Just wish I would have read it before I ate the banana.. ugh......
I was just diagnosed with Celiacs this week so I am a newbie. My first shopping trip was a bust I am from a pretty small town our stores have very very limited Gluten free items.... I truly thought a banana would be good for me because it was fruit.. :huh:

#24 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Them thur nanners give me the angry stomach turned volcano >_>

So, Clearly Nanners are Evil.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#25 J.Podi

J.Podi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Ditto. I also tolerate bananas much better now, if they are cooked. Just an unscientific theory, but maybe I'm much more careful now and that's why they agree with me lately.

I say that because, since going gluten free I have become ultra careful to be sure that food is not only free of my personal offenders & cross contamination, but also free of bacteria. I have morphed into a mad food washer. A little gross that I honestly never thought to before, but now I scrub the crap outside of bananas before eating, and rinse thoroughly. And I seem to do so much better with them now.

When you slice into a banana that has not been washed properly, and then using the same dirty hands to take it out of the peel, you really contaminate it. And even if the banana is organic, it has to be picked and processed by someone who could certainly have dirty hands, then it sits in sun with flys in a truck somewhere, open to other possibly harmful contaminates I don't even want to ponder. So maybe the cooking is killing the contaminates.

Not sure, like I said, just a theory.

try looking at oral allergy syndrome, its about the pollen in some fruits and vegetables and how if you cook them this neutralises it somehow and makes them tolerable, i have the same issue with banannas and pineapple, and eggplant makes my tounge and esophogous itch.

http://en.wikipedia....llergy_syndrome

#26 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

try looking at oral allergy syndrome, its about the pollen in some fruits and vegetables and how if you cook them this neutralises it somehow and makes them tolerable, i have the same issue with banannas and pineapple, and eggplant makes my tounge and esophogous itch.

http://en.wikipedia....llergy_syndrome

Just an FYI - most of these posters haven't been on the forum in a couple of years.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

If you are going to eat a banana, I suggest doing it in the morning with your normal breakfast.  Eggs and bacon, or on top of a waffle, or mixed in your gluten free rice crispies...  If I eat them early in the day, I'm fine...  If I eat them later in the day its like all my other food plus a banana is just too much to handle and I will get heart burn... 

But...  Banana's have a great deal of fiber and potassium in them.  They will help regulate blood pressure and regularity in bowel movements.  It's all for not if you just can't tolerate them at all, though.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#28 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Me too. I would get really sharp stabbing pains in my stomach after eating them, and they always made me sort of feel like gagging. I haven't had one in about a year now. :) 

#29 catie

catie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

Yep.  I hate bananas.  Vomiting etc.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: