#1 Joni63

Joni63

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi everyone!

I am so happy I completed my first Sprint Triathlon this past Sunday! I was sick with no voice and did it just for the experience. It was AWESOME! I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to train in swimming, running and biking. It is the greatest feeling to have finished it. Keep in mind I have no background in any of those sports...except bike riding as a child and started swimming 2 years ago and running a few years ago.

If you have the desire - You can do it!
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Way to go, Joni! Hooray! That's an incredible accomplishment!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

That's awesome!!! I'm jealous... I just want to start running again. :ph34r:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#4 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

Joni,

Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you. It's really a big deal to have finished one!! I love the triathlon, and I've been doing them for a few years now. I agree that it's the BEST combo of things for your body - swimming, biking and running! Does this mean you might try another one in the future, maybe...?
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

Congrats! I did a mini triathlon (a bit longer than their sprint, but I don't know how that would compare to yours) last summer. It felt like such a big accomplishment. This was especially so since before diagnosis it used to take me four days just to mow the lawn because I was so weak and fatigued. The best part was the training, especially taking 2 hour bike rides. It made me feel like I am getting my life back. You want a training partner?

#6 Joni63

Joni63

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

That's awesome!!! I'm jealous... I just want to start running again. :ph34r:

Thanks Lizard00! You should start running again. Nothing better than running with music in your ears!

Joni,

Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you. It's really a big deal to have finished one!! I love the triathlon, and I've been doing them for a few years now. I agree that it's the BEST combo of things for your body - swimming, biking and running! Does this mean you might try another one in the future, maybe...?

Thanks tictax707! It's an awesome feeling. The training is really enjoyable because of the variety. Yes I am already signed up for one in June! : ) Are you doing one any time soon?

Congrats! I did a mini triathlon (a bit longer than their sprint, but I don't know how that would compare to yours) last summer. It felt like such a big accomplishment. This was especially so since before diagnosis it used to take me four days just to mow the lawn because I was so weak and fatigued. The best part was the training, especially taking 2 hour bike rides. It made me feel like I am getting my life back. You want a training partner?

I totally understand what you mean about feeling bad before diagnosis. I was the same way...terribly fatigued. I also just had severe iron deficiency about 5 weeks ago and was scared that I wouldn't be able to complete it! At the time I felt so bad and even my vision was affected. Thankfully with huge doses of iron I am feeling pretty good right now! Yes, I'd love to have a training partner! Nothing like training with a friend! ;)
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: