3 replies to this topic

#1 springhaze

springhaze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

hi there! i have already found this forum very helpful.
i was diagnosed with IBS quite a few years ago and havent had much success coping with this.
i really felt like it was a generalized diagnosis and was told to eat more fiber, take supplements, get more exercise....and still had terrible bouts of stomach issues, among other things.

my doctor had suggested an elimination diet before, i never tried it though.
i have done a few cleanses and felt better when i did. (though emotionally challenged)
all of a sudden last week, a big red flag went off when i was reading a discussion about gluten on a website.
gluten has been the biggest part of my diet. always.
i cut back on white flour years ago, which i grew up on, switching to whole wheat breads/pasta.....i realized i had it for breakfast, lunch, dinner. i even work in an italian restaurant.
i always went to bread when im hungry, or pasta.
loved to eat cookies and cupcakes mid afternoon. english muffin in morning with my egg, sometimes alone.
whole wheat wrap sandwich for lunch etc etc.....
i have skin issues, eczema, sometimes unexplained hives, rashes....i get nosebleeds often. was getting about 3 a day in recent times. all year. have had that checked out. told it was genetic.
i had asthma when i was little and bronchitis every few months until the last year or so.
i am very skinny but have had a bloated belly i cant get rid of.
my bowels are a mess....cramping, bouts of D, feeling like there is a rock in there.
the big belly is something i am very self conscious about. i can lose weight everywhere else.
it seems very bloated. looks like im pregnant.
its very tender too.
i suffer from anxiety and depression as well. disassociation. brain fog. fatigue.

so......i have been gluten free for 5 days now.
i am feeling a difference already!
that 'rock in my gut' feeling is gone.
i havent had a nose bleed in 4 days. last week i had about 3 a day.
the fogginess has lifted a bit.
its been a tough transition but ive been able to find some substitutes.
i really like rice pasta and some snacks ive found.
been eating much healthier. now i gotta motivate to exercise more.
maybe i can lose the belly!
overall, feeling successful so far.
i would get a celiac test at the doc's but my insurance was cancelled.
so i decided on the elimination diet.
but might just stick to it.
wanted to introduce myself here and hope for some feedback.
ive really learned a lot from this site!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 springhaze

springhaze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

so....a few questions:

is the big belly thing a common problem/symptom?
i read about this when someone was talking about beer bellies and how often they can be caused by an underlining gluten intolerence....

also, any one have any info on nosebleeds associated with gluten issues?

thanks for any info.
sorry my first post was such a ramble and didnt make these topics too clear. :)

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

so....a few questions:

is the big belly thing a common problem/symptom?
i read about this when someone was talking about beer bellies and how often they can be caused by an underlining gluten intolerence....

also, any one have any info on nosebleeds associated with gluten issues?

thanks for any info.
sorry my first post was such a ramble and didnt make these topics too clear. :)

Yea a bloated belly is common with celiac. I looked about 6 months preggers for years but within a couple months gluten free and dairy free it was gone. You may also want to eliminate dairy for a bit also as the same area that is damaged by celiac is the area that produces enzymes we need to digest dairy. You also may want to post this question in the prediagnosis or coping section of the board as those get more traffic and you may get more replies.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 springhaze

springhaze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Yea a bloated belly is common with celiac. I looked about 6 months preggers for years but within a couple months gluten free and dairy free it was gone. You may also want to eliminate dairy for a bit also as the same area that is damaged by celiac is the area that produces enzymes we need to digest dairy. You also may want to post this question in the prediagnosis or coping section of the board as those get more traffic and you may get more replies.

interesting about the dairy....i noticed i was eating more dairy when i first stopped the gluten.
and noticing it bothers me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: