11 replies to this topic

#1 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

Does anyone know if this is gluten free. I know that they don't hide gluten, but I'm still confused about that because they do use the terms modified food starch and natural flavors. Here are the ingredients. Remember this is Kraft Ranch.

water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, egg yolks, whey, modified food starch, garlic juice, natural buttermilk flavor (buttermilk, maltodextrin, natural flavor, sald, cultured cream, modified food starch, lactive acid, citric acid, karaya gum) Monosodium Glutamate, xanthum gum, phosphoric acid, with sorbic acid and calcium disodium edta as preservatives, polysorbate 60, lactic acid, artifical color, spice, dried parsley, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavor.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:53 AM

I am looking at my list now and Kraft Rancher's Choice, Creamy Cucumber Ranch, 3 Cheese Ranch, Peppercorn Ranch, Ranch with Bacon and Ultra Low Fat Ranch are gluten free. From the list that I have, it's the Caesar's that you have to stay away from and also the Catalina with Bacon.

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:16 AM

Yes, it is gluten free. If there is no wheat,rye,barley,oats specifically on the label then it is fine. Those questionable ingredients that we usually have to hunt down are not a problem with Kraft because they won't hide anything under those pesky ingredients.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:31 AM

I can understand being nervous but it really is that simple -- if it doesn't say wheat, rye or barley in the ingredients, it's gluten-free even if it does have MFS, natural flavor or whatever.

richard.

#5 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys! I'm glad to finally have a gluten free ranch dressing. I need something to dip my broccolli in! :D

#6 angellove839

angellove839

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:10 AM

Newman's Own dressings are all gluten-free
MD

I had a negative blood test.
Diagnosed by Enterolab 6/05, positive for gluten intolerance genes and antibodies.

My mother also diagnosed positive by Enerolab.
My grandmother diagnosed positive by a blood test.

Checking other relatives...

#7 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:16 AM

Newman's Own dressings are all gluten-free

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I went gluten-free I got a ranch dressing that said gluten-free right on the bottle and then when I tried it it tasted like tartar sauce. Gross! The Newman's Own ones look that way too. It's like it has big chunks in it and it's an odd color. So, I didn't want to try those ones. That's just me though. I'm a ranch snob! I used to eat only Hidden Valley. I don't know for sure if theirs is gluten-free. I haven't researched it that much. I should call the company.

#8 BabySnooks

BabySnooks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

Does anyone know if this is gluten free. I know that they don't hide gluten, but I'm still confused about that because they do use the terms modified food starch and natural flavors. Here are the ingredients. Remember this is Kraft Ranch.

water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, egg yolks, whey, modified food starch, garlic juice, natural buttermilk flavor (buttermilk, maltodextrin, natural flavor, sald, cultured cream, modified food starch, lactive acid, citric acid, karaya gum) Monosodium Glutamate, xanthum gum, phosphoric acid, with sorbic acid and calcium disodium edta as preservatives, polysorbate 60, lactic acid, artifical color, spice, dried parsley, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Karen,
I like the Kraft Catalina, lite. That's ok isn't it?

Also, do you know of any substitute for catsup? I am a fan of Heinz catsup on my scrambled eggs.
[size=3]BabySnooks
Diagnosed with celiac disease July 8, 2005 by endoscopy and colonoscopy.
Rediagnosed with Celiac Sprue August, 2006 with positive duodenal and small bowel biopsies.

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

BabySnooks-Just check the label on Kraft..they will say wheat,rye,barley,oats if it has any.There will not be anything hidden in the sometimes questionable ingredients.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi!

Yep, on my list Catalina Lite is okay. Also, Heinz ketchup is gluten free, so there is no need to search for a substitute.

Here is a link to the delphi forums list which is quite comprehensive and broken down into convenient categories and is always up to date:

http://forums.delphi...&cacheTag=x46-0

Have a whole bunch of scrambled eggs tomorrow!!!! LOL!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#11 Momasita

Momasita

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have a list of gluten containing foods from a celiac website and thay have stated to stay away from any foods that contain modified food starch, because it can contain a gluten binding agent in the process.
I would see how you feel after you eat a little bit of it.

The list also says to not eat caramel coloring for the same reason. But other websites say that it is fine. I find when I drink certain root beers with the caramel coloring I feel sick. So I think that you really have to listen to your body. As a safety measure I stay away from modified food starch.

Good Luck!

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Please note that this topic is almost five years old, so some of the information may be out of date. Kraft will always label gluten clearly, so you can just read the label.

Caramel color is gluten-free. Modified food starch, if from wheat, must be so labeled in the US. It is almost invariably corn--in almost ten years on the diet I have never found modified food starch that wasn't gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: