This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free...just Because

NorthernElf

Chiana Apprentice

I also have a coworker who's sister is ceilac. As a teacher we get food, often sweets, donated to us for appreciation in our teacher's lounge. When I long for just a bite of one of the sweets everyone else is eating my coworkers response is "my sister is celiac and she cheats all the time, just eat a piece." Um what?! No thank you...I'd rather not be up all night sick!

I do not understand why some people are just totally and completely insensitive.

It's so hard being polite in society. I would have had the hardest time not saying, "Well, she's an idiot and is going to die of cancer." That obviously wouldn't win me any fans. ;D

I just try to remind myself that most people are uncomfortable with people who do their own thing. A lot of people spend so much time and effort just doing things to 'fit in' (the reason fads exist in the first place) that seeing someone confidently break the mold makes them uncomfortable and makes them question their own world-view. It's possible that she is not questioning your health problem...Instead, perhaps it bothers her that you are unwilling to risk your health just to 'fit in'. What and how people eat is part of their identity. Every time there is a special event or milestone in my boyfriend's family, they celebrate by going out to eat. When I suddenly couldn't eat the same things and at the same places, it was like there was a giant wall put between me and the family. People bond and form groups over communal activities like eating. Once you stop participating, it's like you're telling them on an unspoken level that you don't want to be part of their group anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hnybny91 Rookie

Mu MIL said to me at Easter, "Oh! You are still doing that?" in reference to my not eating gluten. I said, "Yeah, it is either not eat gluten or die so I choose gluten free forever!"

Gemini Experienced

It's so hard being polite in society. I would have had the hardest time not saying, "Well, she's an idiot and is going to die of cancer." That obviously wouldn't win me any fans. ;D

I just try to remind myself that most people are uncomfortable with people who do their own thing. A lot of people spend so much time and effort just doing things to 'fit in' (the reason fads exist in the first place) that seeing someone confidently break the mold makes them uncomfortable and makes them question their own world-view. It's possible that she is not questioning your health problem...Instead, perhaps it bothers her that you are unwilling to risk your health just to 'fit in'. What and how people eat is part of their identity. Every time there is a special event or milestone in my boyfriend's family, they celebrate by going out to eat. When I suddenly couldn't eat the same things and at the same places, it was like there was a giant wall put between me and the family. People bond and form groups over communal activities like eating. Once you stop participating, it's like you're telling them on an unspoken level that you don't want to be part of their group anymore.

I agree with your sentiments about this subject and think you have hit the nail on the head. People become extremely uncomfortable with those who have will power, especially when it comes to food. Like a bunch of teen-agers, even adults, it seems, want to be like everyone else and fit in, which is mind boggling to me. I don't understand why people focus so much on food and make such a big deal out of eating gluten free. I don't care what people eat, that's their business. I do what I have to do and really don't care whether others pretend at being gluten free or not. I don't think it diminishes my need to be strictly gluten-free. I have come to learn after doing this for 6 years that the vast majority of the American population have no clue what healthy eating is and probably never will. I can't change that so don't care anymore....I only care about myself with regards to this diet and people can think what they want. I don't really understand why this should bother Celiac's so much.

What does bother me is when people find out I have celiac disease, they always say they are sorry. I always tell them there is no need to be sorry as I am comfortable with it all and probably eat a much better and varied diet than most people. That really gets their little brains thinking.... :P

mushroom Proficient

I only care what people think to the extent that it will keep me safe from gluten, especially in a restaurant situation. I do not want anyone in a restaurant with the attitude that it is not important. And that I am following a fad diet, or drawing attention to myself, or all the other stupid attitudes that people have toward non-gluten eaters. I just want to be taken seriously without fuss.

jenngolightly Contributor

I agree with your sentiments about this subject and think you have hit the nail on the head. People become extremely uncomfortable with those who have will power, especially when it comes to food. Like a bunch of teen-agers, even adults, it seems, want to be like everyone else and fit in, which is mind boggling to me. I don't understand why people focus so much on food and make such a big deal out of eating gluten free. I don't care what people eat, that's their business. I do what I have to do and really don't care whether others pretend at being gluten free or not. I don't think it diminishes my need to be strictly gluten-free. I have come to learn after doing this for 6 years that the vast majority of the American population have no clue what healthy eating is and probably never will. I can't change that so don't care anymore....I only care about myself with regards to this diet and people can think what they want. I don't really understand why this should bother Celiac's so much.

What does bother me is when people find out I have celiac disease, they always say they are sorry. I always tell them there is no need to be sorry as I am comfortable with it all and probably eat a much better and varied diet than most people. That really gets their little brains thinking.... :P

I agree. I wonder if this freedom from caring comes with experience or age? I'm comfortable with my lifestyle and I couldn't care a bleep about what other people eat. I also hate to hear, "I'm sorry" and get the pity-face-- as if not eating their food is devastating for me: "I'm sorry you can't eat this tuna slop on old rye bread that we ordered for everyone. You must feel like crap because you can't eat it." Blech.

hnybny91 Rookie

Ok, so my MIL asked me AGAIN today if I was sticking to this "diet" and why her neighbor down the road can't eat gluten either but will occasionally have a bowl of pasta when they go out and just say that she has to be good for awhile now - like it was some high fat dessert or something *rolls eyes*

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ok, so my MIL asked me AGAIN today if I was sticking to this "diet" and why her neighbor down the road can't eat gluten either but will occasionally have a bowl of pasta when they go out and just say that she has to be good for awhile now - like it was some high fat dessert or something *rolls eyes*

It sounds like your MIL has gluten free confused with low carb.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived