This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Allergy?

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

Hi- I wasn't sure where to post this but I wondering about the people on this board who are also allergic to soy. I'm starting to think I might be and I'm wondering what symptoms you experience. Thanks, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvogt Rookie

I react to soy. I have a patch on my shin that itches after eating soy. I also have exerienced mental confusion - difficulty concentrating and problem solving. Difficulty communicating complex ideas because my mind is racing.

Hennessey Rookie
Hi- I wasn't sure where to post this but I wondering about the people on this board who are also allergic to soy. I'm starting to think I might be and I'm wondering what symptoms you experience. Thanks, Beverly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son is allergic, just a baby, but his symptoms from the soy are eczema.

jenvan Collaborator

I am intolerant to soy--I noticed if I have soy milk, or soy chips etc, that it really gets my gut going--gurgling, gas etc.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

My child is allergic to soy also. I've found that she also reacts to soybean oil and soy lectin. She gets eczema patches become red and itchy after eating soy. She also has a change in temperment, just as she does with her other allergies and gluten. Soy seems to be hiding in all sorts of places. ;)

Merika Contributor

My ds has soy allergy. Symptoms can vary a lot from person to person, as with any food allergy. Actually, according to the food allergy test I had run, I'm allergic to soy too. Can't tell you what my symptoms are though, as I'm allergic to about 45 things according to the test.

I can tell you that eggs gave me anxiety the day after eating them, and I tested postive for those too.

Merika

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Merika,

I don't know if you've ever buy the Envirokidz-Crispy Rice Bars for your ds or not, but I have gotten the berry flavor a few times. One the outside of the box it says canola oil. I just noticed the indiv. wrapers say canola and or soybean oil. I called yesterday and they say that due to a shortage of avalability of organic canola oil, they are switching to soybean oil. :o Just thought I'd share.....

Take Care!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

Thanks everyone- I'm really starting to think it might be a problem. More of an intolerance than an allergy but it's in EVERYTHING. Biggest question- are any peanut butters soy free? I tyhink that's why peanut butter's making me feel icky even though I love it and don't want to give it up.

Merika Contributor

Berneses,

An all-natural peanut butter will be soy-free. That means they just grind up the peanuts and put it in a jar, which is really how it should be :)

Depending on where you are in the US: Laura Scudder natural peanut butter is soy free. And their new "organic" line is mixed with peanut oil and roasted (though not as good, IMO as the regular). East of the Mississippi it's Smuckers - but I don't live there anymore, so double-check the ingredients (it's owned by the same company).

So, yes, if soy is the problem, you can still eat peanut butter :D

Kasey's mom - we don't eat it, but thanks for the heads up!

Merika

Guest BERNESES

Merika- Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Beverly

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Beverly,

I haven't seen the Laura Scudder natural peanut butter but my family likes the organic nut butters from Maranatha. The peanut butter is made with Valencia peanuts. The nut butters don't contain any added ingredients. We also love the almond butter. I think the peanuts are roasted for the peanut butter and the almonds are raw. :):):)

So yummy!!!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can also get raw peanut butter.

I think I've got a bit of a soy problem, but more of the sort of thing where I can't have it every day, but can once in a while.

terri Contributor

I get the same reaction as Jen and have eliminated it from my diet. I should say I've ALMOST eliminated it from my diet. I use the wheat free Tamari sauce in my oriental cooking and I guess that has soy....but it's worth the gurgle! :rolleyes:

Hennessey Rookie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son is 11 months and one of his many allergies is soy, he will break out with eczema.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks so much for all your replies. I seem to be able to handle it in small amounts but I have a reaction to large amounts (like a soy bar, Trader Joe's soy and flaxseed tortilla chips, soy bars, soy cheese, etc) that's almost like the feeling I get when glutened (nauseous, gassy, feverish, smelly, constipated).

Today I felt so anxious and exhausted (I'm pretty sure I was glutened by something over the weekend, but I also had edamame and peanut butter and a soy bar). I think I'm going to try eliminating it from my diet as much as possible to see if that's what the problem is. Thanks for all your help so much, Beverly

ianm Apprentice

I think soy might be a problem for me also. I had some chips and ice cream made with soy, don't remember the brands a couple of months ago. I am quite certain there was no gluten involved. The reaction was very different from a gluten reaction. With gluten I experience mostly fatigue and lots of brain fog and bloating. With the soy there was fatigue but it felt different and no brain fog. My guts also were acting up and it was a different sensation than what I get from gluten. Not a lot of bloating either. It had to be the soy because that was the only thing different I ate that day. Small amounts of soy don't seem to have any effect but I will stay away from any large quantities.

aaascr Apprentice

In addition to the gastro issues - I get an asthmatic reaction from soy-

I'm really allergic and have to check labels for soy that is not so clearly

listed. It can definitely fatigue one! ;)

mangogirl Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gf4life Enthusiast

I am allergic to soy. When I eat soy sauce, soy protein, soy flour, etc. then I get itchy (really bad, all over my body). I had trouble breathing once after I ate some soy cheese. I didn't try that one twice!

I seem to be fine with the soy oils. For a IgE related allergy it is usually just the soy protein that will trigger a reaction, only a small percentage of allegic people will also have trouble with the oils.

A soy intolerance is also quite common and my children's pedi GI said that it is pretty easy to figure out yourself. If you get gassy and have stomachaches after eating soy, then you are most likely intolerant to it. One of my children does have that reaction to large amounts of soy. That combined with my allergy causes us to avoid most soy products. The kids still eat the gluten-free pretzels made with soy flour, but in small amounts on occasion, not all the time.

I am not as careful with avoiding the soy as I am with the gluten, but I should be. Occasionally I will eat a gluten-free food that contains soy knowing that I will have to take Benadryl later, because I really want to eat that particular food!

God bless,

Mariann

Merika Contributor

My ds is one of the "few" who reacts to soy of ANY quantity - oils, lecithin, vitamins, you name it.

I have heard - can anyone confirm this? - that the soy protein molecule looks ALOT like the gluten molecule, so it is possible the body might mistake one for the other, especially if you have leaky gut (which it seems any of us with additional food allergies do....). I don't mean soy would cause villi damage, just that the body would react in a similar way in the short term.

Merika

gf4life Enthusiast

Merika,

I haven't heard that about soy, but I heard that same theory about the casein molecule. I have not found any scientific evidence yet to support that theory though.

Has anyone else found any "proof" of these claims? Just curious. I may just not be looking in the right place and I wouldn't want to say that the claims were false without knowing for sure.

God bless,

Mariann

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Soy makes my hair fall out in gobs. And, I feel itchy all over and my ears itch. [giggle]

kabowman Explorer

My soy reactions are similar to my gluten reactions and I cannot tolerate ANY. I accidentially used a minced garlic without checking the ingredients and was horribly sick so I checked the one thing that had changed and it contained soy oil. I switched back to my regular crushed garlic that does NOT contain any oil now that I know!!!

PennyG Newbie

I, too, have reactions to soy. I developed eczema on my neck and arms after I started using soy milk to replace regular milk. I had the ringworm appearing patches biopsied when they wouldn't clear up (required because I worked with children and they had to make sure the children weren't going to "catch" what I had) and was told it was "an allergic reaction". I also kept getting sick all the time -- flu/cold that would lead to sinus, ear, and lung infections. As soon as I did an elimination diet, I discovered that soy was one of the problems.

Soy is used in so many things, after all, it is a cheap product to use. I had to stop eating french fries and grilled chicken (marinade contains soy) at McDonalds. I finally found frozen fries that are gluten and soy free -- Alexia.

I have been having a reaction to eggs lately that I think might due to chickens getting fed soy, barley, and other "whole grains".

I never use margarine, so that isn't a problem, but had to throw out several salad dressings, mayonnaise, vegetable shortening & oil, and my Skippy because they had soybean oil in them. Skippy does have a "Natural" peanut butter with palm oil that is an aquired taste. I also use cannola/safflower mayonnaise & oil now.

Now, if I eat something with soy in it I get a migraine and/or stomack problems and have a hard time with my eyes focusing.

Archived