Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Suggestions For A Complicated Diet

6 posts in this topic

I think I need advice from some of you, as I know I have heard from some of you that you have multiple allergies.

I am of course gluten-free, and mainly lactose-free (I can tolerate some forms of dairy again).

Since then I have developed the following complications:

- some form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (still undiagnosed after 5 1/2 years almost), can't tolerate red meat or most veggies

- allergies to all food but beans (as of July 2009)

- high blood pressure

So, I am trying to manage 6 separate diets: gluten-free, mainly lactose-free, red meat-free, veggie-free, low-sodium, AND am on a rotation diet which I have modified to what works for me (this means I eat something for a few days in a row, then not again for a few weeks, rather than once every 4 days)

Is anyone else here just as in bad shape for food?? I'm just puzzled how to rotate it all, while being 100% gluten-free, and stop packing on the pounds...

Ads by Google:

Are you eating any gluten free packaged foods? Are you eating anything with soy? Do you have a totally gluten free home or is there gluten still in your house.

Just some questions I was wondering about. Soy will keep your system messed up. You could still be getting glutened from trace amounts of gluten in the gluten free foods which are higher in sugars and carbs. Also you could be being glutened from the gluten eaters in your household. If you have a mixed household do you have your own cooking pans, collander, toaster, cutting board, etc, or do you share? That could be your problem. Do you have pets? They may need to be gluten free. Your lotions, shampoos. Have you checked your meds and vitamins. I would kick all the dairy out not just some.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I hope you get to feeling better.

Txplowgirl

I also have several issues to deal with. I need to eat foods that are gluten free, totally dairy free, no fresh vegetables or fruit, low in acid (no tomato, citrus), easy to digest (no beef), as low in fat as possible.

It is absolutely overwhelming to say the least. At 61 I was trying to prepare the foods I had grown up eating and loved. It just wasn't happening for me.

The way I cope now is that I have my "safe" list of foods. The list sometimes expands and sometimes gets smaller if I run into something that just isn't working.

From that "master" list I put my creativity into play. For instance I can eat salmon and I love hamburgers. I made salmon patties and used corn meal as a binder. I bought the new Udi hamburger buns and added pickles and mayo and was in heaven.

I was devastated at the beginning of this diet. The looming idea that I could never eat my favorite foods was almost too much to handle. Now, 2 years later, I am settled into knowing what I can eat and being creative in meal planning.

Take each day and work on your "master" list. Add, subtract and read recipes. Make the food you like to eat from that list. You will be happier and healthier.

I have multiple food allergies as well that are severe (see my signature). I have to pretty much cook everything at home from scratch as much as possible. I agree with NorTx. Make a list of the foods CAN have and then figure out the best way to prepare them so they are yummy for you. You should also try new foods that you don't currently eat, even if you tried them a long time ago and didn't like the taste. You may find you now like things you didn't like before or you might find a new way to prepare the food that makes it your new favorite. As for not packign on the pounds and managing the rotation diet you might want to start logging your meals on an online food diary which will calculate the nutrtion (calories, fat, carbs, etc) and also let you keep track of what you are eating and how you are feeling. One website I have used in the past is livestrong.com

Another thing--since you keep developing new food intolerances you might want to get on probiotics and look into Leaky Gut theory (I don't know much about it yet--I'm still reading up on it myself, just putting it out there).

When my daughter was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus (now they lump all of the Eosinophilic GI track disorders together) we had to keep her gluten free (for the Celiac) and go all top 8 allergens, peas, and to be really safe we were seriously watching dyes and preservatives.

We had to find "non-food" items because it was possible that she would end up on a feeding tube. Non-food items are dum-dum suckers and cotton candy for example to keep some muscle memory of eating. You can find some of these lists on children's food allergy sites.

I found a great cookbook, The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook How to Bake without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree nuts, and Sesame. by Cybele Pascal

Other than that, tell us what you can eat for more suggestions. (tell us if there are any more allergens too)

I rarely eat red meat due to its habit of causing IBD flares. For vegetables I can eat peas, lettuce, asparagus, cucumbers, and coloured bell peppers. I seem to tolerate pork well. Kinnikinnick white rice bread is my staple food. I avoid corn as much as possible, also due to IBD flares. Everything else for food I only eat once in awhile...