30 replies to this topic

#16 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

I've yet to see valid evidence that would make me not consume wine. Many people don't react well to it, but it doesn't mean its a celiac reaction.

And spock...depending on who you ask and how much you've eaten...two drinks very well could be over-expirimenting :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have no problem with wine or distilled alcohols. I drink single malt scotch, so no chance of contamination through a cheap blend, and all the wines I've tried have been fine (barring that over-indulgence thing). If you, personally, react to something, then by all means remove it from your diet, but don't assume that everyone has the same response.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#18 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

I agree with Peter, over the years this is one thing I've heard constantly--the gluten-in-wine theory...but then why haven't any ever tested positive for gluten? Tons of celiacs now use the gluten test strips, yet I've never heard of a wine testing positive for gluten. I've spoken to the owners at one of the biggest commercial gluten testing labs about this as well, and he's never seen it either. I also go to wineries regularly, and have seen them heat steaming the inside of new barrels...the water is near boiling, and they use a powerful steam power washer to do this. Do you think they'd want any contamination in their wine? Also, any material in the wine settles for at least a year before they bottle it, and is not used.

I've thought about doing a $500 challenge on Celiac.com for anyone who can find a commercially produced wine that tests positive...what do you think?

Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#19 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

I drink a few brands of white wines, and have not had a problem.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#20 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

I've thought about doing a $500 challenge on Celiac.com for anyone who can find a commercially produced wine that tests positive...what do you think?

Scott

Did you ever find anyone up to the challenge, Scott?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#21 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

According to this article, its not just the flour paste in the barrels that could be a problem. Wheat is used as a clarifying agent in wine. Its not clear whether it can end up in the finished product.

http://www.theglobea...article2110207/

#22 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

According to this article, its not just the flour paste in the barrels that could be a problem. Wheat is used as a clarifying agent in wine. Its not clear whether it can end up in the finished product.

http://www.theglobea...article2110207/

It's never been the least bit of concern to me, nor to any of the national celiac foundations/associations or research organizations.

.....just sayin' :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#23 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

.....just sayin' I agree with Lisa.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

And I agree with Lisa and Sylvia. None of the major advocacy groups for celiac disease or gluten intolerance list wine as a concern. Even the notoriously over-cautious Celiac Sprue Association lists wine as safe.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

don't they use wheat paste as a glue when making the wooden wine barrels??
if so, it stands to reason that trace amounts are in wine.
last time i tried a sulfite free white wine, it made me feel terrible. could be that alchohol is'nt for me.?

Recently I was at a resort that hosted a vintner weekend of wine tasting. i spoke with the vintner who explained the wheat paste issue to me. He statement was that the higher quality wines do not use the wheat paste as they properly seal their kegs. It is the lesser quality (under $5) wines that "could" be a concern as they are the ones that would be more likely to use wheat paste to seal the cracks. He statement was "could be". He stated that he had not heard of gluten as being an issue but that he would not rule it out. Higher quality wines would not be an issue. Would anyone like to shared a bottle with me? :P :P

#26 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:48 AM

Would anyone like to shared a bottle with me? :P :P

Yes, of course! B)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#27 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Recently I was at a resort that hosted a vintner weekend of wine tasting. i spoke with the vintner who explained the wheat paste issue to me. He statement was that the higher quality wines do not use the wheat paste as they properly seal their kegs. It is the lesser quality (under $5) wines that "could" be a concern as they are the ones that would be more likely to use wheat paste to seal the cracks. He statement was "could be". He stated that he had not heard of gluten as being an issue but that he would not rule it out. Higher quality wines would not be an issue. Would anyone like to shared a bottle with me? :P :P

Under $5 a bottle? I've never seen anything so cheap! I can probably thank the LCBO for that. :D

#28 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Under $5 a bottle? I've never seen anything so cheap! I can probably thank the LCBO for that. :D

Two Buck (that is now three bucks) chuck at Whole Foods. lol My SIL has totally spoiled me and brings me the really good stuff. :D

#29 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

While I didn't perform the tests myself, I do have an acquaintance who has tested some wines for gluten with the ELIZA test. 2 out of 7 wines did test positive.

Probably don't wanna offer that $500 just yet. ;)

The test had a detection level of 10ppm, so all I can say is that it had more gluten than that. Probably still less than 20ppm, I'd imagine. So probably safe for most people, just not anyone who has issues with 10ppm gluten or more.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#30 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

Two Buck (that is now three bucks) chuck at Whole Foods. lol My SIL has totally spoiled me and brings me the really good stuff. :D

'tis nasty stuff. Gave me an unpleasant hangover after a glass and a half. (I had to pour out the rest of the second glass - it got nastier as it warmed up.)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: