This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Iodine And Thyroid Poll Curious

GFinDC

How do you handle lack of iodine in the diet?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GFinDC Veteran

Ok, I started a poll! And I don't even have DH myself, so go figure. :D

But I do have some thyroid issues and I know when I don't get enough iodine in my diet I feel like crapola. :(

I pasted in a list of symptoms from the Mayo Clinic site below.

I know when I don't get enough iodine in my diet that I get to feeling pretty lousy. And it seems iodine is a trigger for DH flares. So how do you all handle the iodine restrictions? I don't remember reading anything about that issue here and it seems like one that would need to be addressed. Of course people who are on thyroid hormone replacement wouldn't have a problem from lack of iodine, but others could.

Just curious really how you all handle it.

Open Original Shared Link

At first, you may barely notice the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and sluggishness, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more obvious signs and symptoms. Hypothyroidism signs and symptom may include:

* Fatigue

* Sluggishness

* Increased sensitivity to cold

* Constipation

* Pale, dry skin

* A puffy face

* Hoarse voice

* An elevated blood cholesterol level

* Unexplained weight gain

* Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness

* Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints

* Muscle weakness

* Heavier than normal menstrual periods

* Brittle fingernails and hair

* Depression

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I've often wondered about the same things, to be honest. I'm currently 54, but I discovered the connection between iodine and the blisters that I had on my face and neck when I was 34....so I eliminated ALL iodine from my diet. However, at age 50, I developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and this caused some major concerns because the iodine causes a chronic rash across the top of my back. Now, this rash is not DH, and I don't get DH on my face and neck because I avoid gluten nowadays....so it's almost like an allergy to iodine. However, if I experience even the tiniest gluten CC, the DH blisters rise up on my face and the sole of one foot in an instant, and I assume it's because I always have iodine in my system because of the Armour Thyroid I take.

By the way, the symptoms listed for hypothyroid really can vary. Rather than feeling cold from hypothyroid, I felt as though I was burning up. Also, when I take too much medication, my joints become very painful....so hyperthyroid symptoms can be the same as hypothyroid symptoms. It varies with the individual.

Thank you for posting this poll--I'd be interested in the results.

cassP Contributor

not sure how to answer the poll..

i have had DH in the past, i have Hypo & Hyperthyroid. i take Armour. i usually only use sea salt or kosher salt. i still eat plenty of seafood. and some of the vitamins & supplements i take have kelp/fucus bladderwrack in it.

im not sure if i should be avoiding the kelp... it is a hot debate in the thyroid community if it's good or bad ???

months ago, an alternative practitioner gave me potassium iodide- said it would be good for my thyroid conditions, but it completely exacerbated my conditions and drove me insane. i think ive come down from that chaos, but not sure if completely yet.

my DH has not really come back. i have some bumps on my arm that itch once in a while- when i eat a "gluten free" cracker at <20ppm, or have too much corn starch products, or if my forearms get too hot while massaging... but they dont seem to be aggravated by the iodine in my diet.

***OHH my forearms did get horrificly rashy & hot when i was on Synthroid & Cytomel. i dont know if the synthetic iodine was worse than Armour, or if it was a hyper symptom.

cahill Collaborator

For me it is a balancing act,,

I am iodine sensitive, on meds that contain iodine for my hypothyroidism , I need iodine for my thyroid, I have hashimitos AND I have DH. :huh:

I have found that ,for me,there is a very thin line between what is needed and what is to much . I am learning to read my body , to know when I am over the line.

I only use sea salt in limited quantities, rarely eat sea food,

GFinDC Veteran

I've often wondered about the same things, to be honest. I'm currently 54, but I discovered the connection between iodine and the blisters that I had on my face and neck when I was 34....so I eliminated ALL iodine from my diet. However, at age 50, I developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and this caused some major concerns because the iodine causes a chronic rash across the top of my back. Now, this rash is not DH, and I don't get DH on my face and neck because I avoid gluten nowadays....so it's almost like an allergy to iodine. However, if I experience even the tiniest gluten CC, the DH blisters rise up on my face and the sole of one foot in an instant, and I assume it's because I always have iodine in my system because of the Armour Thyroid I take.

By the way, the symptoms listed for hypothyroid really can vary. Rather than feeling cold from hypothyroid, I felt as though I was burning up. Also, when I take too much medication, my joints become very painful....so hyperthyroid symptoms can be the same as hypothyroid symptoms. It varies with the individual.

Thank you for posting this poll--I'd be interested in the results.

Thanks for replying Rose. I guess I should have mentioned it is a multiple choice poll, so there are no wrong answers.

Good point about the symptoms being variable. One size does not fit all with people. Sounds like you would sort of fit the

I take a thyroid suplement / hormones option.

Too bad I can't spell supplement, oh well.

I hadn't thought of the thyroid replacements containing iodine. I wonder if that is unavoidable?

Well, I am curious about the answers too. I am wondering also if people are told by their doctors how to handle the iodine restriction when they are diagnosed with DH.

GFinDC Veteran

not sure how to answer the poll..

i have had DH in the past, i have Hypo & Hyperthyroid. i take Armour. i usually only use sea salt or kosher salt. i still eat plenty of seafood. and some of the vitamins & supplements i take have kelp/fucus bladderwrack in it.

im not sure if i should be avoiding the kelp... it is a hot debate in the thyroid community if it's good or bad ???

months ago, an alternative practitioner gave me potassium iodide- said it would be good for my thyroid conditions, but it completely exacerbated my conditions and drove me insane. i think ive come down from that chaos, but not sure if completely yet.

my DH has not really come back. i have some bumps on my arm that itch once in a while- when i eat a "gluten free" cracker at <20ppm, or have too much corn starch products, or if my forearms get too hot while massaging... but they dont seem to be aggravated by the iodine in my diet.

***OHH my forearms did get horrificly rashy & hot when i was on Synthroid & Cytomel. i dont know if the synthetic iodine was worse than Armour, or if it was a hyper symptom.

Hi Cass,

Thanks for responding. No wrong answer, just info gathering, trying to understand. So it sounds like you are on a hormone replacement therapy but also do take some iodine via the kelp? sounds like kelp is some pretty potent stuff, or can be. They say it can have a variable amount of iodine. I'll probably get some kelp myself this weekend. Maybe a little now and then would be ok.

So you are a people with Dh who does do iodine, but it doesn't cause DH blisters because you don't do gluten. Interesting. I am starting to wonder if iodine has other benefits in the body, besides just the thyroid connection.

Potassium iodide seems so popular right now because of the Japanese nuclear problem. It seems strange to hear all kinds of people are suddenly concerned about their thyroids and taking potassium iodide to protect them.

Iodine-Induced Thyrotoxicosis After Ingestion of Kelp-Containing Tea

Complementary medication is en vogue and an increasing number of patients consume herbal medicine without reporting their use to physicians. We report a case of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism due to the ingestion of a kelp-containing tea. A 39-year-old woman with multinodular goiter presented with typical signs of hyperthyroidism, which was confirmed by endocrine tests. She was not exposed to iodinated radiocontrast media and did not take medications containing iodine, such as amiodarone. However, a detailed medical history revealed that she had been treated for a period of 4 weeks by a Chinese alternative practitioner with a herbal tea containing kelp because of her enlarged thyroid. The consumption of the tea was discontinued and an antithyroid drug therapy was initiated. Physicians should advise patients with underlying thyroid disease to avoid all complementary or alternative medications containing iodine.

GFinDC Veteran

For me it is a balancing act,,

I am iodine sensitive, on meds that contain iodine for my hypothyroidism , I need iodine for my thyroid, I have hashimitos AND I have DH. :huh:

I have found that ,for me,there is a very thin line between what is needed and what is to much . I am learning to read my body , to know when I am over the line.

I only use sea salt in limited quantities, rarely eat sea food,

Hi Chili,

So are your thyroid meds supposed to provide all your iodine needs or a large part or just some or your requirement? I guess the sea salt is not a good source of iodine, they say it has a limited mount of iodine right? Yeah, I can see you are walking a tight rope so to speak.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Hi Cass,

Thanks for responding. No wrong answer, just info gathering, trying to understand. So it sounds like you are on a hormone replacement therapy but also do take some iodine via the kelp? sounds like kelp is some pretty potent stuff, or can be. They say it can have a variable amount of iodine. I'll probably get some kelp myself this weekend. Maybe a little now and then would be ok.

So you are a people with Dh who does do iodine, but it doesn't cause DH blisters because you don't do gluten. Interesting. I am starting to wonder if iodine has other benefits in the body, besides just the thyroid connection.

Potassium iodide seems so popular right now because of the Japanese nuclear problem. It seems strange to hear all kinds of people are suddenly concerned about their thyroids and taking potassium iodide to protect them.

Iodine-Induced Thyrotoxicosis After Ingestion of Kelp-Containing Tea

Complementary medication is en vogue and an increasing number of patients consume herbal medicine without reporting their use to physicians. We report a case of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism due to the ingestion of a kelp-containing tea. A 39-year-old woman with multinodular goiter presented with typical signs of hyperthyroidism, which was confirmed by endocrine tests. She was not exposed to iodinated radiocontrast media and did not take medications containing iodine, such as amiodarone. However, a detailed medical history revealed that she had been treated for a period of 4 weeks by a Chinese alternative practitioner with a herbal tea containing kelp because of her enlarged thyroid. The consumption of the tea was discontinued and an antithyroid drug therapy was initiated. Physicians should advise patients with underlying thyroid disease to avoid all complementary or alternative medications containing iodine.

im not taking the Kelp on purpose- it just happens to be in my favorite multivitamin, and other favorite supplements- so im "torn". since im not sure- im only taking like 1 pill instead of 4. ?????? i would love to know the answers to the Kelp situation.

the potassium iodide was a NIGHTMARE!!!!! my anxiety got so much worse!!!!!! it was awful- i advice against it. now- u know what- i DID have a few DH bumps come back up to the surface on my right forearm- during the pt.iodide- but the big cluster on my stomach never came back.

my DH was never too bad anyways- not at all like pictures on the net. i dont mind a few itchy bumps from time to time- but the EXACERBATION of my Hypo & Hyper symptoms i canNOT handle at all-

rosetapper23 Explorer

Regarding your question about if there are any options for taking medications without iodine, no, there is no other option. I called every lab in the U.S. that manufactures thyroid meds, and they all said that iodine was crucial. Boo hoo....

Also, regarding how doctors handle the iodine issue with people who have DH, they haven't a clue that iodine has anything to do with it. I'd be lucky to discover that they even knew that gluten had anything to do with it. Dermatologists seem to know almost zero about celiac and DH, so they would be the last persons on earth that I would consult with regard to how to handle my condition. I'm just being honest here....

GFinDC Veteran

im not taking the Kelp on purpose- it just happens to be in my favorite multivitamin, and other favorite supplements- so im "torn". since im not sure- im only taking like 1 pill instead of 4. ?????? i would love to know the answers to the Kelp situation.

the potassium iodide was a NIGHTMARE!!!!! my anxiety got so much worse!!!!!! it was awful- i advice against it. now- u know what- i DID have a few DH bumps come back up to the surface on my right forearm- during the pt.iodide- but the big cluster on my stomach never came back.

my DH was never too bad anyways- not at all like pictures on the net. i dont mind a few itchy bumps from time to time- but the EXACERBATION of my Hypo & Hyper symptoms i canNOT handle at all-

Hi Cass,

Yay, I don't have any plans to try the P. iodine. Although I saw a story today about a radiation leak at a nuclear plant in Cleveland, Ohio.

I wonder why PO. Iodine caused anxiety for you? Maybe it bumped up your thyroid hormone production?

Well, I know I have been low on iodine for a while now, because I got some iodized salt and started using it in food and wahlah, started feeling so much better real quickly. Heck, the veins in my hands are pooping out like they used to when I was a kid. I ran out of iodized salt sometime last year and just started using garlic salt instead. Not the same at all. I generally don't take multi-vitamins either, as I don't trust them with so many ingredients. So I started having a puffy face sometimes, sore joints, forgetting things, tired, not able to sleep for more than a few hours at a time, just lots of fun. All that started clearing up when I got back on iodized salt. I have a thyroid cyst and a couple nodules so my thyroid is not in tip to shape to begin with. I had that MRI with contrast thing done a couple times and I think that is a bad thing for the thyroid.

High radiation at Ohio nuclear plant prompts inspection

Four workers at the Perry Nuclear Power Plant, which is about 35 miles northeast of Cleveland, immediately evacuated on April 22 when radiation levels rose while the plant was in the process of shutting down for a refueling outage, according to Todd Schneider, spokesman for the reactor's owner, FirstEnergy Corp

Regarding your question about if there are any options for taking medications without iodine, no, there is no other option. I called every lab in the U.S. that manufactures thyroid meds, and they all said that iodine was crucial. Boo hoo....

Also, regarding how doctors handle the iodine issue with people who have DH, they haven't a clue that iodine has anything to do with it. I'd be lucky to discover that they even knew that gluten had anything to do with it. Dermatologists seem to know almost zero about celiac and DH, so they would be the last persons on earth that I would consult with regard to how to handle my condition. I'm just being honest here....

Hey Rose,

What you say about the dermatologists and doctors not being aware makes sense to me. Seems like they have little understanding of what is wrong with a human body unless it is something really obvious. But they are just people after all and people are, well, people. Very limited.

It's sort of surprising that it seems somewhat common knowledge on this board that DH and iodine don't mix well but doctors are not aware. If we can just train them up on it then they can charge us for the privilege of telling us what we taught them eh? :D. I guess it is a symbiotic relationship really. Or maybe parasitic. :D

cassP Contributor

Hi Cass,

Yay, I don't have any plans to try the P. iodine. Although I saw a story today about a radiation leak at a nuclear plant in Cleveland, Ohio.

I wonder why PO. Iodine caused anxiety for you? Maybe it bumped up your thyroid hormone production?

ya, probably. i did read from that Mary Shomon/thyroid advocate- that PO can aggravate any of the antibodies, and that people who were taking it if they didnt need to may end up in the er.

but yes to your other questions- iodine is so good for the whole body- and i would really LOVE to lower my antibodies and cure myself- because i also have really stubborn Fibrocystic Breasts- and i recently read that our Breasts need more Iodine than our thyroid- and that being deficient can cause the fibrocysts.... so i would love to be able to pound the iodine :/

and except for the questionable kelp- i love my vitamins- really good quality.. no allergens, great stuff

JenR Rookie

I hadn't thought of the thyroid replacements containing iodine. I wonder if that is unavoidable?

Yes, it is unavoidable because iodine is one of the elements that make up levothyroxine. Both synthetic (ie Synthroid & generic) and animal derived (ie Armour) products contain levothyroxine - T4 replacement, chemically identical to the T4 our thyroids should be making. (Armour also has porcine T3.) The iodine isn't a free ion. If people with a healthy thyroid produce T4, and people with hypothyroidism have to get their T4 from a pill, it's all T4 at the end of the day - can someone explain why the iodine in the T4/levothyroxine should be a concern?

JenR Rookie

So are your thyroid meds supposed to provide all your iodine needs or a large part or just some or your requirement?

Thyroid meds do not provide iodine. They provide levothyroxine. Normally the thyroid should produce levothyroxine (T4) which requires some iodine. But in hypothyroidism it's not making enough T4 (or in some cases it's not making ANY T4!) - what's needed is a T4 supplement, not an iodine supplement.

cassP Contributor

Yes, it is unavoidable because iodine is one of the elements that make up levothyroxine. Both synthetic (ie Synthroid & generic) and animal derived (ie Armour) products contain levothyroxine - T4 replacement, chemically identical to the T4 our thyroids should be making. (Armour also has porcine T3.) The iodine isn't a free ion. If people with a healthy thyroid produce T4, and people with hypothyroidism have to get their T4 from a pill, it's all T4 at the end of the day - can someone explain why the iodine in the T4/levothyroxine should be a concern?

the iodine is only a concern for those who have DH. because sometimes those blisters are aggravated by iodine.

then there is a lot of debate amongst the thyroid community about additional iodine supplements- some say they help the thyroid, others say they make Hashimoto's or Grave's worse. so i dont know what the verdict is. im still trying to figure it out. but i know one thing's for sure- more than a few days of iodine in the form of Potassium Iodide made my hypo & hyper symptoms worse!!!!!!! i will never take that stuff again

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks JenR and CassP,

Hmmm. It seems there is plenty of room for learning on this topic. I have read several times on here that people with DH have problems with iodine and avoid it. I gather (from reading) that iodine can cause DH to flare up. It seems like quite a catch 22 if people with DH have to avoid iodine and also are not on thyroid replacement hormones. But if the people on hormone replacement are not getting dosed with iodine in their meds then they should be ok. Mostly?

That leaves the people who are not on hormone replacement meds stuck with avoiding iodine and being deficient in it though. If they want to keep their DH at bay.

Seems like a problem to me.

JenR Rookie

the iodine is only a concern for those who have DH. because sometimes those blisters are aggravated by iodine.

I get that; but T4 replacement meds like Synthroid should not count as consuming "iodine." It's not iodine. It's levothyroxine. It's not the same as, say, iodized salt.... levothyroxine/T4 incorporates the iodine as part of the molecular structure which is chemically identical to the T4 a healthy thyroid produces.

I would normally not use wikipedia as a source of scientific info, but here is an explanation of how the body synthesizes T4, and what it is used for, in layman's terms for the most part. Seems pretty clear that even folks with hypothyroidism, DH, and iodine sensitivity should not be avoiding their hypothyroidism meds. The consequences of unmanaged hypothyroidism are serious and remember, the medicine replaces something your thyroid would make anyway if it was functioning correctly (and which the thyroid IS making in people with DH who are not hypothyroid!)

"The thyroid hormones, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), are tyrosine-based hormones produced by the thyroid gland primarily responsible for regulation of metabolism. An important component in the synthesis of thyroid hormones is iodine. The major form of thyroid hormone in the blood is thyroxine (T4), which has a longer half life than T3. The ratio of T4 to T3 released into the blood is roughly 20 to 1. Thyroxine is converted to the active T3 (three to four times more potent than T4) within cells by deiodinases (5'-iodinase). These are further processed by decarboxylation and deiodination to produce iodothyronamine (T1a) and thyronamine (T0a)."

"The thyronines act on nearly every cell in the body. They act to increase the basal metabolic rate, affect protein synthesis, help regulate long bone growth (synergy with growth hormone), neuronal maturation and increase the body's sensitivity to catecholamines (such as adrenaline) by permissiveness. The thyroid hormones are essential to proper development and differentiation of all cells of the human body. These hormones also regulate protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism, affecting how human cells use energetic compounds. They also stimulate vitamin metabolism. Numerous physiological and pathological stimuli influence thyroid hormone synthesis.

"Thyroid hormone leads to heat generation in humans. However, the thyronamines function via some unknown mechanism to inhibit neuronal activity; this plays an important role in the hibernation cycles of mammals and the moulting behaviour of birds. One effect of administering the thyronamines is a severe drop in body temperature."

"If there is a deficiency of dietary iodine, the thyroid will not be able to make thyroid hormone. The lack of thyroid hormone will lead to decreased negative feedback on the pituitary, leading to increased production of thyroid stimulating hormone, which causes the thyroid to enlarge (goiter)endemic colloid goiter. This has the effect of increasing the thyroid's ability to trap more iodide, compensating for the iodine deficiency and allowing it to produce adequate amounts of thyroid hormone."

"Effects of thyroxine

* Increases cardiac output

* Increases heart rate

* Increases ventilation rate

* Increases basal metabolic rate

* Potentiates the effects of catecholamines (i.e. increases sympathetic activity)

* Potentiates brain development

* Thickens endometrium in females

* increase metabolism of proteins and carbohydrates"

cassP Contributor

it is so complex- it really is- i dont even think our Endocrinologists completely understand it all.

when i first got on meds- my PCP put me on Synthroid only. (neither of us knew that i also had Grave's antibodies)- tho shouldnt our docs be testing for everything before prescribing- OY DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON OUR MEDICAL SYSTEM.

anyways- i got on Synth 50mcg- my TSH went from 11.39 to 4. my T4 went up, but my T3 went from 3.6 to 2.4. my energy & Shortness of Breath improved about 50%. but i started developing Hyperthryoid symptom phases. about 4 times i had my forearms erupt into a bumpy burning mess- and my skin would dry up and look like LEATHER- it was nasty- i also had a few nights where i didnt sleep a second- wide awake all night, and my thyroid started throbbing and aching... my hair started falling out 2x worse than premeds.. and i was craving salt like RIDICULOUS- it was like my body felt like it didnt have any iodine. it SUCKED .. ok, i gotta stop before i get too angry here.

most of this went away when they added Cytomel. i only had the forearm rash one more time.

havent had the rash since switching to Armour.

i still eat plenty of iodine. but the Potassium Iodide was a disaster.

maybe the iodine issue has more to do with the form it comes in, and if you go over a certain amount.??

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Recently diagnosed Hashimoto's with DH.

Have been avoiding iodine strictly for 3 months to heal DH.

When going gluten free did not heal the sores, I went iodine free and started healing. Then the diagnosis of Hashimoto's. Hmmmm

Not started on meds yet. Seeing Endocrinologist next week. Hope he has heard of Celiac/DH but I'm not holding me breath.

I will say this...if the thyroid meds cause my DH to flare, I don't know how I will make myself take them. DH is miserable.

Here's hoping my antibodies have gone down enough to be able to tolerate the Iodine.

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks for the info JenR. It sounds to me like the synthetic thyroid meds are not a direct iodine source then. In theory at least. Seems like the Armour might be different since it is organic instead of synthetic, so probably does have some iodine in it, I think.

Geez Cass, sounds like you had quite an adjustment to the thyroid meds there. Hyper symptoms and hypo symptoms both, an exciting life! I've read that can happen with Hashimoto's. Seems it can swing both ways as they say.

Hi EM4G,

Welcome and thanks for joining in. Maybe your endo will have some input on this issue. Do you suppose if you give him/her a heads-up on it they can do a little research before you see them?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

so I just read that Hashimoto's can cause sores to be unhealing or slow to heal.

Hmmm another layer to this thing called Celiac/DH/Hashimoto's conundrum.

What if my inability to heal is caused by Hashimoto's and the lesions are caused by DH/Celiac. And iodine causes them to react. The sores went crazy when I ate shellfish.

or...Since Celiac causes vitamin deficiencies...maybe unhealing sores are a result of Scurvy..vitamin C deficiency. :blink::blink: Or...all of the above.

rdunbar Explorer

Thanks JenR and CassP,

Hmmm. It seems there is plenty of room for learning on this topic. I have read several times on here that people with DH have problems with iodine and avoid it. I gather (from reading) that iodine can cause DH to flare up. It seems like quite a catch 22 if people with DH have to avoid iodine and also are not on thyroid replacement hormones. But if the people on hormone replacement are not getting dosed with iodine in their meds then they should be ok. Mostly?

That leaves the people who are not on hormone replacement meds stuck with avoiding iodine and being deficient in it though. If they want to keep their DH at bay.

Seems like a problem to me.

i've wondered about that myself; i'm being told to avoid what is considered a nessisary nutrient.

i've noticed an improvment since i cut out iodine, and actually remember having bad flare ups in the past when i was in mexico eating fish every day.

i take a little fish oil that has a tiny tiny amount of iodine. how much do you really need??

cassP Contributor

so I just read that Hashimoto's can cause sores to be unhealing or slow to heal.

What if my inability to heal is caused by Hashimoto's and the lesions are caused by DH/Celiac. And iodine causes them to react. The sores went crazy when I ate shellfish.

or...Since Celiac causes vitamin deficiencies...maybe unhealing sores are a result of Scurvy..vitamin C deficiency. :blink::blink: Or...all of the above.

maybe it's only UNdiagnosed & Untreated Hashi that slows sore healing???? all i know is that i had "Beau's lines" on my thumbnails since i was 8 years old!! i thought for sure it was Celiac related- because Celiac can lead to skin issues, teeth & nail deformations. the horizontal ridges did improve from time to time when i was paleo... but after one month of being on Synthroid- the Beau's lines COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED!!!!!!! there was no waiting for the nail to grow out at all... the deep ridges had completely filled in- not a trace left- CRAZY

cahill Collaborator

:blink::blink:

If someone sorts it all out PLEASE email me :lol:

JenR Rookie

Thanks for the info JenR. It sounds to me like the synthetic thyroid meds are not a direct iodine source then. In theory at least. Seems like the Armour might be different since it is organic instead of synthetic, so probably does have some iodine in it, I think.

The levothyroxine in Armour is chemically identical to the synthetic levothyroxine, and to the thyroxine (T4) our bodies make. All three molecules contain iodine as part of their structure.

Armour is different than Synthroid for 2 reasons:

1. Made from dessicated pig thyroids instead of in a lab

2. Contains T3 as well as T4. Typical hypothyroidism meds just contain T4 replacement (T3 can be added separately if needed.) No clinical trial supports the claims of Armour that their product is better due to inclusion of T3.

JenR Rookie

maybe it's only UNdiagnosed & Untreated Hashi that slows sore healing????

Yes!!!!

Archived