Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

What Chemical Ingredient Names Are A Red Flag?

8 posts in this topic

Chanel is such a wonderful company. They FedExed me a list of their products that contain gluten/corn/soy ect. Most of their products were listed as not containing gluten, but there were a few that I had questions about so I emailed them back. They send me the full list of ingredients for each of those products, but now I'm left with tons of chemical names and don't know what they mean. Nowhere do I see the words wheat, barely or oats, but what other technical/chemical names should I look out for?

For instance:

Isostearyl Isosterate

Trimethylolpropand Triisostearate

Ozokerite

Polyethylene

Diisostearyl Malate

Polybutene

Caprylic/capric triglyceride

Lecithin

Stearalkonium Hectorite

Tocopherol

Ascorbyl Palmitate

Propylene Carbonate

Citric Acid

And what about dyes? ie Red6, Yellow6, Blue1

Thanks. This is complicated.....

Ads by Google:

It should say 'Contains Gluten' or 'May contain Gluten' in bold under the ingredients. Where I'm from anyways I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to

It should say 'Contains Gluten' or 'May contain Gluten' in bold under the ingredients. Where I'm from anyways I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to

I've never seen any makeup or personal care products that are labeled like that. Most of the time we see a bunch of ingredients and have a hard time figuring out what they are (in the U.S. at least)

Chanel is such a wonderful company. They FedExed me a list of their products that contain gluten/corn/soy ect. Most of their products were listed as not containing gluten, but there were a few that I had questions about so I emailed them back. They send me the full list of ingredients for each of those products, but now I'm left with tons of chemical names and don't know what they mean. Nowhere do I see the words wheat, barely or oats, but what other technical/chemical names should I look out for?

For instance:

Isostearyl Isosterate

Trimethylolpropand Triisostearate

Ozokerite

Polyethylene

Diisostearyl Malate

Polybutene

Caprylic/capric triglyceride

Lecithin

Stearalkonium Hectorite

Tocopherol

Ascorbyl Palmitate

Propylene Carbonate

Citric Acid

And what about dyes? ie Red6, Yellow6, Blue1

Thanks. This is complicated.....

Hello i agree with Sylvia it is very hard when it comes to makeup especially MASCARA!I have found some products avon has ALOT of gluten-free products you can contact them for there gluten free list:) Bare minerals line has great facial makeup i use you can find there products at sephora.I have found great mascara very expensive but works and dosent irritate my eyes its called Tarte lights,camera,action is ca also be found at sephora:)Hope this helps goodluck it gets easier with time xoxo

Oh I missed the bit about it being in cosmetics. My bad

Oh I missed the bit about it being in cosmetics. My bad

That's okay. Also in the US only wheat needs to be declared in foods plus the FDA is still trying to decide how to define gluten free. Companies are becoming more aware though and many are voluntarily declaring gluten clearly in ingredient lists now, as far as food is concerned.

So what do you all think of the ingredients? Is there a list out there somewhere of common chemicals that contain gluten?

I have a ton of these cosmetics, and I'd really love to be able to continue to use them.

I'd really appreciate some help. :(